Can you use step counts to determine activity level?

Options
VictoryGarden
VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I looked online, and all I could really find is that sedentary people take 2K to 3K steps per day at most.

Are there any rough estimates/guidelines for steps per day vs. MFP activity levels?

I'm having trouble determining my activity level, and hoping this might help narrow it down??

Replies

• meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post earlier about this. It was something like <5,000 sedentary, 5,000-8,000 lightly active, and 10,000+ active. I don't remember exactly!

With my Fitbit, I don't get calories added until I get to about 4,000 steps or more. I get to 10,000 every day and the calories added ranges from 250-350 for that amount of steps. I have MFP set to sedentary so I do generally eat those Fitbit added calories.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I saw someone post earlier about this. It was something like <5,000 sedentary, 5,000-8,000 lightly active, and 10,000+ active. I don't remember exactly!

With my Fitbit, I don't get calories added until I get to about 4,000 steps or more. I get to 10,000 every day and the calories added ranges from 250-350 for that amount of steps. I have MFP set to sedentary so I do generally eat those Fitbit added calories.

Thanks! Do you remember what category it was in? General weight loss, or fitness, or other? I can go looking for a thread like that, then. Search didn't really help.......
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

This sounds about right to me. If you do exercises that don't include steps (weights, swimming, biking) you could be active without getting that many steps but this sounds good if steps are all you have to go on.