Special K cereal does 31grams = 1 cup????

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've just been looking at the special K cereal nutrition and it states that 31g equates to 1 cup measurement of the cereal. It also states this on there website.

However when i actually weighed it, it came out as 50grams!!! ... being a level cup

Juat wondered if its my own scales that are wrong or if anyone else has weighed there own cereal and found this out to be true?

the cup i used to measure was- Joseph Joseph Nest Plus 7 Piece Multi Coloured Set Measure Caps Bowls

Thanks

x

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The Special K lab took the fluffy cereal right off the production line and one cup came out at 31g. Then the packaged cereal in it's long truck ride to destination shook itself denser, leaving the top of the box empty. That's why the packaging comes with the disclaimer, "Contents may settle. Product sold by weight not volume."

Use your scale to measure out what you are eating.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Always weigh your food, never trust measurements like "1 cup" or "1/2 cp" or worse yet some of the entries in MFP database such as "1 medium potato". That's about as inaccurate as you can get. Go by weight, in grams if possible, ounces if not.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Usually cereals or grains like oatmeal never add up correctly. A serving of oats in a measuring cup weighs a lot more than its actual serving size
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've just been looking at the special K cereal nutrition and it states that 31g equates to 1 cup measurement of the cereal. It also states this on there website.

However when i actually weighed it, it came out as 50grams!!! ... being a level cup

Juat wondered if its my own scales that are wrong or if anyone else has weighed there own cereal and found this out to be true?

the cup i used to measure was- Joseph Joseph Nest Plus 7 Piece Multi Coloured Set Measure Caps Bowls

Thanks

x

This is exactly why everyone recommends using a food scale instead of measuring cups for food portions. 31g is a serving, whether it's actually a cup or not...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups aren't accurate for foods like that. Weigh solids, measure liquids.
  • jarrettduncan
    jarrettduncan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has already said, grams are what actually matter. Before I went and bought a food scale, I thought I was eating cereal way too fast considering a box was 400g and using measuring cups for servings meant I got about 8 servings out of a box, and not about 12-13 you would using the actual grams. And I was right!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    The 1 cup measurement or something like serving size 12 crackers are general guides if you aren't weighing. Get a scale and weigh in grams. If the cereal says 31g per serving, then weigh it to 31g and eat that, not "1 cup"
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has already said, grams are what actually matter. Before I went and bought a food scale, I thought I was eating cereal way too fast considering a box was 400g and using measuring cups for servings meant I got about 8 servings out of a box, and not about 12-13 you would using the actual grams. And I was right!

I stopped eating cereal because a serving was so laughably small. I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere.
  • mollyBirchall
    mollyBirchall Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know its awful for the calories in how much you get .. I was wondering if any of you have weighed the cereal yourself as surely they cannot advise a cup serving of 31g if its not that .... and with mine saying much more on the scales.. has anyone else got it or weighed it ?? xx
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    No. I weigh mine and one 30g serving is close to 1/2 cup in volume. I had two servings this morning.