What's better old fashioned Oats or the packets of instant oatmeal?

Options
What's better old fashioned Oats or the packets of instant oatmeal?
First of let me begin by saying I am not an oatmeal eating person, but I am trying to change up my diet to help me lose this unwanted weight. Therefore i am asking which is better old fashion oats or instant oatmeal?

Replies

• fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Old fashioned oats are probably better for you because they are less processed and have less sugar. I do eat the instant because it's convenient and tastes good. I buy the Quaker Lower Sugar.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by better? For me it's whichever fits your calories, macros and you like eating/ can be bothered to make.

I have the instant packets, I don't find it fills Me up like a lot of people say but it's yummy with peanut butter and chocolate drops!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You don't have to eat oatmeal to lose weight. You just have to eat less.
    Whatever helps you meet your nutritional goals, will be best for you. If the instant oatmeal makes you like oatmeal and oatmeal helps you hit your goals, eat oatmeal!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I like instant better, purely from a texture stand point.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I prefer the plain, old fashioned, lumpy with milk and pure maple syrup, because that's what I was raised on. I do eat the instant stuff though, but it's just not the same.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned are better. A little harder to make, but I put apple and cinnamon or raisins and it's better for you. We have some packets and by the time they add all the sugar you don't get much to eat for all the calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't really like instant oats. I feel like they're dissolving in my mouth and I feel like they don't fill me up as much. But it's probably because I was raised eating old fashioned oats.

If I'm in a hotel and there isn't another option, I might eat them. But if I am at home, I'll always choose old fashioned (I even buy the extra-thick oats).
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    the one that has less added ingredients in it are always beter to me, so the old fashioned oats wins.
    however, i like a more creamier taste so i personally like eating oat bran instead, it is less calories (if i recall right) and offers more fiber and it only takes less than 3 mins to cook..can be bland alone but, with a drop of liquid sweetner and some nuts or fruits added in, its quite delicious.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    You can add oat bran, chia or hemp seeds and nuts to give your oatmeal more protein and "staying power." Dried fruit is good too. One of my favorite combos is blueberries and pecans.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Instant anything, including oats tastes like pure *kitten*. I'm also not a fan of old fashioned rolled oats...texture is gross. I do like steel cut oats, but I don't have time for that nonsense...so I compromise and use Coach's Oats...similar texture as steel cut, but I can do them in the microwave in 4 minutes.

Also, there's nothing magical about oats for losing weight...
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    The old-fashioned oats are a bit better. They have more fiber and less added sugar (depending upon how much sugar you chose to use.)
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I prefer the more old fashioned oats but I buy the quick cook ones 3 min in the microwave. I don't like the instant prepackaged stuff, way too sweet for my taste.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Try making overnight oatmeal.
    You control what is put into it and it is ready to go in the morning.
    There are tons of recipes for every taste.
    You can eat it cold or heat it up in the microwave.
    I also make big batches of steel cut oatmeal on Sunday and freeze individual portions to take to work.
    Both options are better tasting (and better nutritionally) than instant.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    One may be marginally better for you than another. But, which one will you eat?

Instant, rolled, steel cut are all going to have different textures. I love the texture of steel cut, but I know I won't eat if often (if I have to cook it for 20 minutes). I've not had success with the crock pot method (over cooks it). So I eat "instant" steel cut.

Basically, if you try one type and hate it there are other options. Oatmeal can be sweet or savory. By themselves they don't keep me full very long. I always need to add something else (nuts are good).
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Virutually alwasys, the more work it takes for you to cook it, the better it is for you. I soak the steal cut ones overnight with a teaspoon of cinnamon per cup of cooked oatmeal. It sweetens it so I don't need sugars. I cook a tub of it weekly, and nuke a cup daily, adding ground flax seed and dried fruit. Cleans you out good too.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I love the texture of steel cut, but I know I won't eat if often (if I have to cook it for 20 minutes).

How does it take 20 minutes? I eat steel cut oats several times a week. At home on the stove (no microwave) it takes a few minutes to boil the water and fewer than 5 minutes to cook them. At work, I cook them in the microwave for 1:30, which is usually perfect.

For the OP, I could guess that old fashioned might be a little healthier because it comes with fewer additives, but it will really come down to which you prefer and are more likely to eat. It is also easier to prepare more of the old fashioned which could result in eating more calories, compared with pre-packaged.

I like adding some combination of dried cherries, brown sugar, almonds, apples, cinnamon, and greek yogurt to my steel cut oatmeal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I love the texture of steel cut, but I know I won't eat if often (if I have to cook it for 20 minutes).

How does it take 20 minutes? I eat steel cut oats several times a week. At home on the stove (no microwave) it takes a few minutes to boil the water and fewer than 5 minutes to cook them. At work, I cook them in the microwave for 1:30, which is usually perfect.

For the OP, I could guess that old fashioned might be a little healthier because it comes with fewer additives, but it will really come down to which you prefer and are more likely to eat. It is also easier to prepare more of the old fashioned which could result in eating more calories, compared with pre-packaged.

I like adding some combination of dried cherries, brown sugar, almonds, apples, cinnamon, and greek yogurt to my steel cut oatmeal.

Every package I've ever bought says steel cut is at least 20 minutes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2242991_cook-steelcut-oats.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe.html

Instant steel cut - those cook "fast" like old-fashioned oats.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you do not like oatmeal, eat something else like rice or grits.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

Every package I've ever bought says steel cut is at least 20 minutes.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2242991_cook-steelcut-oats.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe.html

Instant steel cut - those cook "fast" like old-fashioned oats.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I should try following the directions and see how the texture would be affected.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Instant anything, including oats tastes like pure *kitten*. I'm also not a fan of old fashioned rolled oats...texture is gross. I do like steel cut oats, but I don't have time for that nonsense...so I compromise and use Coach's Oats...similar texture as steel cut, but I can do them in the microwave in 4 minutes.

Also, there's nothing magical about oats for losing weight...

I don't like the texture of rolled oats if I cook for 5 minutes as directed - I cook them for an hour or more on very low (couldn't do this on a gas stove without a heat defuser.)

I'm fine with the texture when I use yogurt to "cook" them in the frig for a few hours.