Shoes?

Options
erinxo13
erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
Hi! So the shoes I currently have I bought two years ago when I was going to Europe for a month, the only thing I know is that they are Saucony shoes and they're starting to show their wear a bit. I originally bought them for walking (since I was going to be walking all month long) but I have continued to use them here for walking and other types of working out I do (dancing, stationary bike, 30DS, some light strength training, things like that). I'm looking to purchase new shoes and I would like to change the style of the shoes (I know they're just shoes for walking or working out - but that doesn't mean they can't be nice right?) Anyway, I'm looking for a new shoe but I don't know where to start. The main thing I would be doing in the shoe is walking and doing the workouts (or similar ones) that I mentioned above. When I bought these shoes I was just kind of like oh whatever...I wasn't planning on working out or wearing them as much as I have. but now I'm trying to look into some newer shoes and I'm not sure which type of shoe I should buy, there seems to be so many choices. I am also a size 11 US womens shoe which also makes it a bit harder because many styles do not come in that size. I'm just confused if I should be looking for a walking shoe, a running shoe, a cross trainer? I am also on a budget and would like to stick to a shoe that is $100 or under. If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations or can just help me in general, I would be very grateful!

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was fitted at a specialty store for shoes a while back ($100 Nikes), for walking. They weren't bad, but they weren't anything special over the cheapy ones I'd buy for under $50 at Target etc. They were my everyday kind of shoe (walking/errands etc). This past March I started walking everyday and just wasn't happy with them. They were getting old and were starting to fall apart. Then, I decided to start running and train for my first 5K. I knew I needed new shoes but really didn't want to go back to the specialty store and spend another $100+ on shoes that just weren't anything special. That's when I did some research on toe shoes. Wow, what a difference, for me personally! After reading reviews I ended up getting a pair of Fila Skeletoes-and I got them on sale for $29 :) Love, love, love these shoes! Yes, they're ugly (the bottom of one is my avi picture), and when I first got them I told myself I'd only wear them walking/running - I'd NEVER wear them in 'public'. Thing is, their so comfortable I've started wearing them all the time lol. They're so good they make me forget about how ugly they are :) I've also struggled with lower back pain for years, and since I've started wearing these, the pain is less severe.

Anyways, just another option-and I know some specialty stores carry different kinds of toe shoes, so it can't hurt to take a peek at them :)
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Saucony is my brand of choice. So far, they've been the only brand that hasn't made my feet hurt after a few days of wear.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you go to a specialty store to get some help. (I went to the Running Room.) They can analyze your gait and recommend the right shoe for your issues. When I went, I just went with the attitude that I was shopping around, and I had them write down the styles that they recommended for me. I considered buying from them but I found the same shoes for significantly less money at a different store. (I felt a bit guilty about that, but such is life.) Shop around and use their advice (feel free to tell them your budget as well). Given that your size may not be carried in stock in all styles, you may also have luck ordering online once you know the specific shoe you are looking for.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Just bumping my head in to say wow, you've lasted a pair of shoes with regular use for 2 years?! I'm lucky if I do a year and a half, and 3-4 months I'm actually wearing boots cuz of the snow :|

Now I don,t know what's available to you, but I'm quite partial to my Salomon shoes. The ones made for running are super light and they feel like slippers when you wear them. That's how comfy they are! Now, if they're not on sale you're looking at spending about 130$ on a pair, but I got mine for 90$ with taxes the last time around. (As for the size, nothing is preventing you from looking into the male-sized 8.5 or 9s if they don't have 11 women. Heck, you might find they're more comfortable and don't squish your toes as much!

Now, I'm tough on shoes, I guess. Those 40-50$ range shoes usually last me 4-6 months TOPS. So it's worth it for me to fork over a little extra for both comfort, and durability. Plus, you grow quite fond of those quicklaces >_>
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Wow I never knew people put so much thought into buying training shoes. I just buy ones I like the look of and that have laces so I can stop my poorly foot slopping about.
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Adidas Bounce are my favorite shoe's or the Nike Zig. Good heal support. I walk a lot 3 to 5 miles a day and I change out my shoes every day. Look for sales and outlet malls and once you find the right shoe for you look to pick up a back up pair on sale. Good luck!