Looking for nutrient dense muffin recipe

Options
beckyhauser
beckyhauser Posts: 34 Member
Anyone have a good muffin recipe? Alternative flour is a good start and using stevia in place of sugar would be good too. So hard to find healthy muffins that are not loaded with crap. Thanks!!

Replies

• clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I posted this yesterday on the coconut flour post...

These are breakfast muffins but also form the base of a cupcake recipe you can add agave syrup for cupcakes. I have no idea how many calories they have as I haven't yet made them since I started logging. I bake them for my friend who is histamine intolerant and can't have wheat, plus a whole long list of other things. However my gut feeling is they aren't too awful depending on the oil and juice you choose. I would also add extra liquid as they have a tendency towards dryness. Try using coconut water which is relatively low calorie.

INGREDIENTS

1⁄2 tsp. salt

1⁄2 tsp. vanilla powder

1⁄4 cup almond oil (or your choice of tolerated oil)

1 medium apple, finely grated

1⁄2 cup coconut flour (or rice flour)

1⁄4 cup apple juice

PREPARATION

Pre-heat oven to 390f/200c

Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add in the vanilla

powder and grated apple.

In another bowl whisk the eggs, apple juice and oil till fluffy.

Fold into the flour and mix till smooth.

Use a piping bag (or a shopping bag with the corner cut off) to

fill your muffin cups/tray.

Bake for 10-20 minutes (depending on your oven type).
  • mhoffmann12
    mhoffmann12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I've played around with and my taste buds like what I've settled on. Hope you like it too, and it is darned healthy:
    WHEAT GERM MUFFINS
    0.5 c. dark brown sugar
    1 c. wheat germ
    1 c. all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. baking soda
    0.5 tsp. salt
    2 eggs (I use equivalent liquid egg whites)
    1 c. chilled applesauce
    4 tbsp. vegetable oil (sorry about vegetable oil but other oils made muffin paper stick to muffin)
    (if mixture too dry, I add a bit more applesauce)
    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 400. Line 12 muffin cups.
    Blend together brown sugar, wheat germ, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add eggs, chilled applesauce, and vegetable oil. Mix until well-blended. Spoon batter into muffin cups. (Let stand 10 minutes before putting in oven -- honestly, I just noticed this step and have not done this before ?? [how exciting!])
    Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
    Let cool and enjoy!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't know the recipe off the top of my head but I love baking Sweet Potato Muffins, from the Jamie Oliver cookbook/webpage.
    Great carb hit before I cycle home, I changed up the cottage cheese to low fat to make them ever so slightly healthier.

Edit
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/sweet-potato-muffins/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the most nutrient (and calorie) dense cake I have found.

chocolate-banana-caramel-cake05.jpg

http://talesofakitchen.com/desserts/chocolate-banana-cake-with-caramel-layer-and-cacao-nibs/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Myself, I have no problems with flour or a little sugar. With my muffins my goal is to reduce the fat somewhat so that it is not so calorie dense. I made a very tasty muffin this week using packaged Quaker double chocolate muffin mix and I replaced the called-for oil with pumpkin puree. I also added a little more cocoa, cinnamon, and allspice for fun. Only one tablespoon oil.