69g of Protein a Day Necessary?

Options
I was just wondering, I tend to eat a largely plant based vegan diet, high in carbs. Since starting Myfitnesspal i've noticed i'm only hitting about 50% on my protein intake marker. I'm wondering should I be concerned and make drastic changes or does 69g seem a little excessive? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 0.6-0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Decrease bread / pasta in order to fit in the beans / tofu.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    On the contrary - 69g is probably too LOW of a goal. If you're not even hitting 50% of that, then you need to re-evaluate your food choices.

That's not to say you can't achieve that from sticking to a vegan diet, but you'll need to incorporate higher-protein foods that fit within that style of eating.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I believe the recommended amount should be .8-1g per kg of bodyweight, not pounds.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    IMO, 69g isn't THAT much. I personally try to get in as much as I can (other days fall short, just depends). Protein is one of those things not to be skimped on.

^based on the .8g of protein per kg of bodyweight, I'd be at 48g... just for perspective. I logged 99g today.

Edit for Maths.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    On the contrary - 69g is probably too LOW of a goal. If you're not even hitting 50% of that, then you need to re-evaluate your food choices.

That's not to say you can't achieve that from sticking to a vegan diet, but you'll need to incorporate higher-protein foods that fit within that style of eating.

Definitely agree with this.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I believe the recommended amount should be .8-1g per kg of bodyweight, not pounds.

This is true ... Most official nutrition organizations recommend a fairly modest protein intake. The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound (1). This amounts to (2, 3): 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man, 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.

Those who do weight training or are athletes need more.

From www.health.com ... The Institute of Medicine recommends .8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, but here's a simpler way to break down you protein needs:
    Activity level Protein needs (grams)
    Sedentary Weight in pounds X .4
    Active Weight in pounds. X .6
    Competitive athlete Weight in pounds X .75
    Light body-builder Weight in pounds X .85
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

That is the amount recommended simply to provide for basic bodily functions...IOW, that's the absolute bare minimum one needs to eat.

Optimal intake is 1.0g per pound of lean mass for best body composition results. Most people shorten this to 0.7-0.8g per pound of total body mass to avoid having to try to determine pounds of lean mass.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That's the DRI, which is minimum for a more or less sedentary person which is basically where MFP gets there numbers...so in the case of the OP I'd say it's necessary. Someone who is more active is going to require more...someone who lifts is going to require more...someone with particular body composition goals is going to have to eat more...

It is also recommended to eat more when dieting to mitigate the loss of lean mass which is where the .6-.8 grams per Lbs comes in...it is significantly more than the DRI for a sedentary individual.
  • lydona
    lydona Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ah ok Thanks everyone for your help, I agree I should probably be taking in more than 35g a day, however at 63kg it looks like my aim should be for around 50g a day, may start aiming for that for now then see how I'm getting on!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    .8g/kg is a minimum intake. There are studies that show higher protein intake levels help your body retain lean muscle mass when in a caloric deficit. Higher levels are also typically required when very active, regularly participating in sports activities, or when trying to gain muscle mass ( strength training/body sculpting, etc ).

I don't know what your situation or goals are, but an average of 35g/day of protein is way to low for anyone over ~75 lbs.

My second caution would be that you make sure you are eating a wide variety of plant based protein sources. Most plant based sources are incomplete, and need to be paired with other sources to provide a full profile. Because of this ( and you being predominantly vegan ), you should probably be trying to exceed your goal by 25%+ unless you are specifically checking your amino profiles and pairing your sources.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    lydona wrote: »
    Ah ok Thanks everyone for your help, I agree I should probably be taking in more than 35g a day, however at 63kg it looks like my aim should be for around 50g a day, may start aiming for that for now then see how I'm getting on!
    You need more than 50 grams a day.

• lydona
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

I mean i was always terrible at maths and 50g is a rounded number but.8g/63kg works out at 50.4g? I know it's only a minimum intake, but I think it's definitely better than my current 35-40g a day so I think i'll just aim to get it that for now then re-assess the situation, I understand 50g may not be enough but it's all stepping stones.
  • lydona
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    .8g/kg is a minimum intake. There are studies that show higher protein intake levels help your body retain lean muscle mass when in a caloric deficit. Higher levels are also typically required when very active, regularly participating in sports activities, or when trying to gain muscle mass ( strength training/body sculpting, etc ).

I don't know what your situation or goals are, but an average of 35g/day of protein is way to low for anyone over ~75 lbs.

My second caution would be that you make sure you are eating a wide variety of plant based protein sources. Most plant based sources are incomplete, and need to be paired with other sources to provide a full profile. Because of this ( and you being predominantly vegan ), you should probably be trying to exceed your goal by 25%+ unless you are specifically checking your amino profiles and pairing your sources.

Thank you, really appreciate the advice! I definitely realise now that 35g is way too low and I'm starting to work on it. I've always been careful about food combinations in terms or iron and vitamin c intake but i've obviously been neglecting my protein needs, so i'll start to read up and a diet revision will definitely take place.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Cosign
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Jeez I struggle to stay under 150g protein every day.
    How do you feel on such low protein? Are you hungry alot?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you're getting less than US RDA then you are wildly under nourished
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

I mean i was always terrible at maths and 50g is a rounded number but.8g/63kg works out at 50.4g? I know it's only a minimum intake, but I think it's definitely better than my current 35-40g a day so I think i'll just aim to get it that for now then re-assess the situation, I understand 50g may not be enough but it's all stepping stones.

That should be fine.

People keep saying that's the protein goal for sedentary but I haven't seen "sedentary" anywhere official. The specs say "RDAs and AIs may both be used as goals for individual intake. RDAs are set to meet the needs of almost all (97 to 98 percent) individuals in a group" so they are for pretty much everyone.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

This is true ... Most official nutrition organizations recommend a fairly modest protein intake. The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.36 grams per pound (1). This amounts to (2, 3): 56 grams per day for the average sedentary man, 46 grams per day for the average sedentary woman.

Those who do weight training or are athletes need more.

Or who are eating at a deficit and attempting to avoid excessive loss of muscle.
  • lydona
    Options
    Jeez I struggle to stay under 150g protein every day.
    How do you feel on such low protein? Are you hungry alot?

I mean to be honest not at all, like a lot of vegans I'd eat a lot of wholegrains like brown rice,porridge/quinoa veggies & fruit which will always keep me full for the day. I always had an inkling I wasn't getting enough protein (massive understatement obviously) but it never really affected my everyday life, who knows though I could be a whole new woman once i get my protein intake up!