I lost weight and gained most of it back :(

Options
Back in 2012 I had a back injury where I needed to have a surgery. I couldn't walk without pain. Everything was awful. I didn't want to leave bed because it was so much pain. (think a knife digging down both legs, it was horrible) All in all I was severely depressed. In august of 2012 I had the surgery. Immediately afterwards, most if not all the pain was gone. It took me a few months to be able to walk normally again. At the same time I decided to lose weight to make it easier on my back.

At the time I weighed 300 lbs, and by around Halloween in 2013, I weighed around 200 lbs. I have never felt better in my whole life. My back had healed fully, and I was the healthiest I have ever been in my life. I even said to my self I would never gain this weight.

I really don't know what happened to that motivation I used to have to lose the weight that I did. After 2014, and 2015, I weighed almost how much I was when I had gotten injured before. (around 290 now)

So, what I'm needing help with is finding a motivation that will last me a lifetime. Because not even an injury that pretty much made me paralyzed from the waist down can do it long term.

Maybe finding a few people here with a similar goal? My goal is to get to 190 lbs, but being able to maintain it when I reach that goal.

Maybe I lost the weight too fast?

Thanks in advance :)

The injury were two herniated discs that were pressing down on my nerves. I had pain radiating down my legs, and numbness down my whole body. Severe muscle weakness, I couldn't push off my toes. Dragged my left leg when walking.

Replies

• Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I lost 54 lbs by mostly walking!! I am mindful of what I eat, I eat high protein/moderate carb diet. I drink a meal replacement shake (high protein) 2-3x a week too.
  • danrob1
    danrob1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SSJ4Vegeta wrote: »
    Back in 2012 I had a back injury where I needed to have a surgery. I couldn't walk without pain. Everything was awful. I didn't want to leave bed because it was so much pain. (think a knife digging down both legs, it was horrible) All in all I was severely depressed. In august of 2012 I had the surgery. Immediately afterwards, most if not all the pain was gone. It took me a few months to be able to walk normally again. At the same time I decided to lose weight to make it easier on my back.

At the time I weighed 300 lbs, and by around Halloween in 2013, I weighed around 200 lbs. I have never felt better in my whole life. My back had healed fully, and I was the healthiest I have ever been in my life. I even said to my self I would never gain this weight.

I really don't know what happened to that motivation I used to have to lose the weight that I did. After 2014, and 2015, I weighed almost how much I was when I had gotten injured before. (around 290 now)

So, what I'm needing help with is finding a motivation that will last me a lifetime. Because not even an injury that pretty much made me paralyzed from the waist down can do it long term.

Maybe finding a few people here with a similar goal? My goal is to get to 190 lbs, but being able to maintain it when I reach that goal.

Maybe I lost the weight too fast?

Thanks in advance :)

The injury were two herniated discs that were pressing down on my nerves. I had pain radiating down my legs, and numbness down my whole body. Severe muscle weakness, I couldn't push off my toes. Dragged my left leg when walking.

I can understand a lot of what u r going thru. I was 270lbs but used diet and exercise to drop to 196lbs. Felt like a million bucks! But now with life, stress, and lack of control I'm back up to 260lbs. I'm heartbroken. Motivation is what I am looking for! Good luck, I will root for u!
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Could you use how great you felt when you lost weight to motivate you to do so again? Maybe just remind yourself every day/every meal that you have a choice to make a change. And that you choices could result in you feeling and being healthier, increase your lifespan and allow you to do new things!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    You haven't 'lost' motivation ... you just slowely went back to eating the way you ate before you ate to lose weight.

If you want life-long motivation, then here it is ... accept the fact that there are no short-term cures to weight loss, that it will always taked being attentive to 1-what and 2-how much you both eat and are physically active.

The best thing you can do for yourself that will last for your life is to set new and better habits around those items and do that one little step at a time. ... It took time to get to 300 pounds (and to get back to 290) and it will take some time to get back down to 200.

I took a look at your profile and it said you are 23 years old ... I am as old or older than your grandmother, and believe me when I say ... it takes time to change our habits and we cannot improve our health status without being attentive to making those changes. You have a long life ahead of you yet ... do you want to spend it feeling at your best or do you want to spend it as an invalid? You decide, it's your life.