I swear my metabolism knew when I turned 40 and shut down.

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The struggle is real. And dudes...you wouldn't weigh in on a thread about someone's menstrual cycle would you? This is one of those things that women have to deal with...it's different for you guys. But it's possible to be successful. Build muscle, eat lots of protein, eat less carbs. The usual stuff.

Woah! It's not different for guys at all, and has nothing whatsoever to do with 'female hormones'. How silly!
    Now please apologise to Mr Cwolfman he's a lifesaver on these boards, and knows his stuff.

You're still young I'm guessing, and don't get this yet (no offense intended at all). When you are older, you won't like men giving advice to you when they aren't experiencing your symptoms either. And yeah, guys are quite different!!! LOL

I'm older, I like men, like @cwolfman13 who know what they are talking about, to give me advice.
  • beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I'm with you! I used to be able to go "oh, dang, I'm up a size, time to go back down" and now....yeah, not so much. Same as you, not heavy, per se - I'm within 'healthy' range still of weight and fat %, but at the top end. have you also noticed some, ahem, hormone flux? I'm not nearly as...cagey/fiery as I used to be either. way more chill in general.

and can I just say, funeral director? I'm so jealous. what an outstanding career. good for you. you get to really help people, and so much knowledge to boot. I tried years ago to get into the apprenticeship program here locally, but couldn't for the life of me land a sponsor - was kind of a catch 22. had to be sponsored to get in, had to be in to get a sponsor. ^5
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real. And dudes...you wouldn't weigh in on a thread about someone's menstrual cycle would you? This is one of those things that women have to deal with...it's different for you guys. But it's possible to be successful. Build muscle, eat lots of protein, eat less carbs. The usual stuff.

Woah! It's not different for guys at all, and has nothing whatsoever to do with 'female hormones'. How silly!
    Now please apologise to Mr Cwolfman he's a lifesaver on these boards, and knows his stuff.

No apology necessary because the statement is incorrect...at least when it comes to menopausal women. You se, it actually DOES have something to do with female hormones. Decreases or changes in estrogen and progesterone make it harder to lose weight. Especially in women who have been overweight and underactive for part or most of their adult lives.

It is called Estrogen Driven Fat Deposition or Estrogen Dominance. Fat cells make it nice and comfortable for estrogen production which leads to too much estrogen in the body. This causes more fat cells (because Estrogen likes to grow) which causes more estrogen production. It drives down the production of your thyroid, slowing down that metabolism further. Your Estrogen becomes dominant and your Progesterone is now out of balance. This accelerates weight gain.

Calories in vs calories out is a great starting point for most people but every time one of you trainers or people in maintenance dismiss people who say they are having a hard time losing, it comes across as very condescending. Particularly men telling women their monthly cycles has no bearing. Sorry, but you've never gained six pounds over night in water weight just because of the fluctuations your hormones are going through. On top of that, I think you are forgetting the mental state of someone over weight and just starting out. Its usually not good, there is not a lot of positive self talk going on. Your dismissive attitudes do not help.

Any woman over 35 who is honestly measuring food, accurately recording and exercising but still finds it hard to lose weight should consult a doctor and have her hormones checked. There can actually be more to it than CICO for some women. (Actually men too can have their hormones out of balance but I'm not a man so I can't speak to that experience).

Every woman will be different. For me, I had to find the right combinations of foods that worked for me. I am not one of those who can eat 1200 cal of candy and still lose weight. I can, however, eat 1200 or more calories of fruits, veggies, lean protein and complex carbs and lose weight. You have to find what works for you. It can be done...I've lost 70 of 130lbs so far. Its hard work, it takes time, planning and effort, but it can be done.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Great...something to look forward to. I better take these last months to start buckling down!
  • beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've actually discussed a lot of this with my coach's wife who is also a trainer/coach and a couple of things have always stood out in our conversations...for one (and she trains primarily female clients) is overall diet...in her experience, her female clients tend to eat a very carb heavy diet with inadequate/low protein. In her opinion, the overall diet has a lot to do with hormonal imbalances and excessive carbohydrate intake in particular causing some insensitivities to insulin and other wonkiness. She's had a lot of success with her ladies just getting them to balance out their diets and eating more nutritionally dense sources of carbohydrates and more protein...my wife is one of them and continues to be amazed at how relatively minor tweaks to her diet have made an incredible difference both in RE to weight management as well as overall body composition.

The other issue she usually brings up is that ladies unfortunately spend years and years neglecting their muscular skeletal system...they are less inclined to do resistance training which results in a greater loss of muscle mass as they age...to boot, yo-yo dieting over years is also a huge issue as even more muscle mass is destroyed in that process.

The good news is that all of that stuff can be reversed...if by harder people mean they actually have to put in some work then yeah...I guess it's harder in that respect...you can't just keep on coasting. If by harder people mean that they can't just eat whatever and whenever...well, yeah...I guess...though I still believe my capacity to eat whatever when I was younger was as a result of being far more active then than I am now I

n my experience, once people get going and get to doing the right things for their bodies...well, in my experience everything tends to fall into place, male or female.[/quote]

YES. totally. while my DH still insists I have "Barbie legs" - they don't have the muscle definition they used to - and who did that? me. I was mommy and career first for so long, and now I look and see what I did to myself. Putting it back on IS harder than it used to be - that is very real. We are GF in our house due to a family member, so being really low simple carbs is part of life, and running/cardio is part of life with kids so that's easier in relation, but putting that muscle back on...that's harder than it used to be for sure.

this wisdom you post is great inspiration and affirmation. thank you so much. I'm not afraid of harder! :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »

No apology necessary because the statement is incorrect...at least when it comes to menopausal women. You se, it actually DOES have something to do with female hormones. Decreases or changes in estrogen and progesterone make it harder to lose weight. Especially in women who have been overweight and underactive for part or most of their adult lives.

hormones can make you retain water, feel lethargic, ravenous, cause mood swings but they don't per se affect your CICO

It is called Estrogen Driven Fat Deposition or Estrogen Dominance. Fat cells make it nice and comfortable for estrogen production which leads to too much estrogen in the body. This causes more fat cells (because Estrogen likes to grow)

the body develops it's fat cells as a foetus and during puberty ...there is some new fat cells production when putting on significant weight or following liposuction, I would like to see this source for fat cell production
    which causes more estrogen production. It drives down the production of your thyroid, slowing down that metabolism further. Your Estrogen becomes dominant and your Progesterone is now out of balance. This accelerates weight gain.

Calories in vs calories out is a great starting point for most people but every time one of you trainers or people in maintenance dismiss people who say they are having a hard time losing, it comes across as very condescending. Particularly men telling women their monthly cycles has no bearing. Sorry, but you've never gained six pounds over night in water weight just because of the fluctuations your hormones are going through. On top of that, I think you are forgetting the mental state of someone over weight and just starting out. Its usually not good, there is not a lot of positive self talk going on. Your dismissive attitudes do not help.

on the contrary I found cold, hard science and facts helped me immensely in achieving my goal and continues to help me in maintenance

Any woman over 35 who is honestly measuring food, accurately recording and exercising but still finds it hard to lose weight should consult a doctor and have her hormones checked.
    good advice

There can actually be more to it than CICO for some women. (Actually men too can have their hormones out of balance but I'm not a man so I can't speak to that experience).

nope

Every woman will be different. For me, I had to find the right combinations of foods that worked for me. I am not one of those who can eat 1200 cal of candy and still lose weight. I can, however, eat 1200 or more calories of fruits, veggies, lean protein and complex carbs and lose weight. You have to find what works for you. It can be done...I've lost 70 of 130lbs so far. Its hard work, it takes time, planning and effort, but it can be done.

congratulations on your success....no straw-men though, nobody eats all candy
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »
    There's an estimated 100 calorie difference in BMR between 20 and 40 year old 5'5" 145 pounds females. (1430 versus 1330).

Couple that with changes in lifestyle and it can make a pretty big difference. Even 100 calories is not insignificant. That's a gain of almost 1 lb per year with absolutely no changes in lifestyle. That may not sound like much but it adds to the slow creep many of us experience.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

You're still young I'm guessing, and don't get this yet (no offense intended at all). When you are older, you won't like men giving advice to you when they aren't experiencing your symptoms either. And yeah, guys are quite different!!! LOL

I suppose I just dont use age or peri or menopause as an excuse to not find my own personal TDEE and eat slightly under it to lose weight. I have had excellent advice from both men and women from this site and it saddens me to see people being rude on this post. So what if guys are different? I advise men on their bulking and weight training and have never had any misogonystic remarks. I've got no idea what's it like to be a man, but I can give very helpful advice.

When I'm older and all grown up I hopeI don't get all resentful and defensive. Though I'm already 45 and a half so maybe im just going to miss that boat!
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I suppose I just dont use age or peri or menopause as an excuse to not find my own personal TDEE and eat slightly under it to lose weight. I have had excellent advice from both men and women from this site and it saddens me to see people being rude on this post. So what if guys are different? I advise men on their bulking and weight training and have never had any misogonystic remarks. I've got no idea what's it like to be a man, but I can give very helpful advice.

When I'm older and all grown up I hopeI don't get all resentful and defensive. Though I'm already 45 and a half so maybe im just going to miss that boat!

45 and a half

*giggle*
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

Good. I'm glad you're getting through it without problems!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    <---40
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    <---48 and 5/6ths
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    <---48 and 5/6ths

My idol :)
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It was the 5/6ths wasn't it? :bigsmile:

Right back at ya kiddo
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mommazach wrote: »
    I love that everyone on here is giving great messages, but the fact remains that it IS harder to lose weight, especially in women, after 40. Our metabolisms change with hormones. I run about 20 miles a week, and still will maintain weight instead of losing. I added a different weight lifting routine, after reading some results with continued caloric burn even during resting. IT's made a whole lot of difference in my life. I'm not showing off ab pics, cause I still don't have them.... But I'm getting stronger. Now that my littles can go along, we have a family exercise program. I started the P90X series, which is killer, and when the weather allows, I jog with the dog while my children ride their bikes. We're doing this as a family now which is a great motivator for me. You WILL have to change your eating habits, and I noticed the biggest change in my life is what I put IN MY MOUTH. When I am accountable for the calories I eat, I change my eating....

Best of luck to you in your journey. Keep fighting for the body you want. Be stronger and live healthier.

I've actually discussed a lot of this with my coach's wife who is also a trainer/coach and a couple of things have always stood out in our conversations...for one (and she trains primarily female clients) is overall diet...in her experience, her female clients tend to eat a very carb heavy diet with inadequate/low protein. In her opinion, the overall diet has a lot to do with hormonal imbalances and excessive carbohydrate intake in particular causing some insensitivities to insulin and other wonkiness. She's had a lot of success with her ladies just getting them to balance out their diets and eating more nutritionally dense sources of carbohydrates and more protein...my wife is one of them and continues to be amazed at how relatively minor tweaks to her diet have made an incredible difference both in RE to weight management as well as overall body composition.

The other issue she usually brings up is that ladies unfortunately spend years and years neglecting their muscular skeletal system...they are less inclined to do resistance training which results in a greater loss of muscle mass as they age...to boot, yo-yo dieting over years is also a huge issue as even more muscle mass is destroyed in that process.

The good news is that all of that stuff can be reversed...if by harder people mean they actually have to put in some work then yeah...I guess it's harder in that respect...you can't just keep on coasting. If by harder people mean that they can't just eat whatever and whenever...well, yeah...I guess...though I still believe my capacity to eat whatever when I was younger was as a result of being far more active then than I am now I

n my experience, once people get going and get to doing the right things for their bodies...well, in my experience everything tends to fall into place, male or female.

Thank you for a very informative post. I have found this to be my experience. When I concentrated on my lean body mass, things got much better. I also upped my Tdee as I became less depressed and more active in day to day things.
    It took a few years but I started at 42, and over 30% body fat, sluggish and shapeless. I am now peri, but am now glad of my LBM and strength and fitness. My photo was taken at 44 years of age, 15-18% body fat, high carb, adequate protein diet. I'm the same now, just with a couple of xmas pounds im trying to lose (and it's difficult, but it's ALWAYS difficult for all of us).

There is some misinformation on this thread, which could easily be used as an excuse to give up. I'm not having it.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    <---48 and 5/6ths

Heehee!!!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I have always been very active. Even though I ran 20 -25 miles a week, I gradually put on extra weight even though I was counting calories and eating salads and skipping meals. I finally had enough and changed my nutrition. I started having 2 meal replacement shakes a day and I started losing weight. I couldn't believe it. I am 48. I then added nutritional cleansing one day a month and I even lost more. I have put one lean muscle and I feel so energetic! Best health decision I have made for myself. My nutrition is not a diet but a lifestyle for me. I have kept the weight off for a year!!!

Please quit promoting cleansing and your meal replacement shakes already.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

<---- 49 1/6 and I concur.
  • Rayvis1014
    Rayvis1014 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm a month away from 45 and I'm 5'2. Here is a picture of me after giving birth to my daughter at age 41:

wki3r7oimh4i.jpg

Here I am a year later after maintaining a 40 lb. loss for six months:

18ua80ozbxbo.jpg

I lost that weight by counting calories. I'm thinner now than I ever was in my 20s and 30s.

I recently regained some weight from spending a few months stress eating and not giving a darn. Once my clothes started getting tight I knew it was time to get back on the wagon (I REFUSE to buy a larger size). I use my fitbit to calculate my TDEE, eat about 1400-1700 calories a day, and the weight has been FALLING OFF. I credit this to precise tracking. I weigh and measure everything, and if I feel like eating something I let myself have it. I don't eat mindlessly or lie to myself about what I'm putting in my mouth.

I know everybody is different, but I have found that just putting some effort into paying close attention to my numbers (my TDEE and intake) makes all the difference.

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »

It is called Estrogen Driven Fat Deposition or Estrogen Dominance. Fat cells make it nice and comfortable for estrogen production which leads to too much estrogen in the body. This causes more fat cells (because Estrogen likes to grow) which causes more estrogen production. It drives down the production of your thyroid, slowing down that metabolism further. Your Estrogen becomes dominant and your Progesterone is now out of balance. This accelerates weight gain.

Any woman over 35 who is honestly measuring food, accurately recording and exercising but still finds it hard to lose weight should consult a doctor and have her hormones checked. There can actually be more to it than CICO for some women. (Actually men too can have their hormones out of balance but I'm not a man so I can't speak to that experience).

Funny how the old ladies in Japan, most of Asia, across the African continent and many other places in the world aren't fat.