cream of wheat

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
I just remembered after reading an oatmeal thread that when I was kid we rarely had oatmeal it was ALWAYS cream of wheat. Doesnit even exist still? do people still eat it? Is it literally just little nuggets of wheat? haha.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love cream of wheat. It definitely still exists.
  • fishshark
    Options
    I love cream of wheat. It definitely still exists.

totally gonna go find it i LOVED it as a kid
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat is a favorite for my boys. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i love cream of wheat. unfortunately i only love it with about 2 tbsp of butter and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

LOLOLOL
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My son says there is chocolate cream of wheat now too. I've been on a mission to find it, but haven't yet.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I am ok with cream of wheat, but my true love is red river. Both are far more delicious than oatmeal in my opinion.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day! I love it. I add a bit of vanilla coffee creamer to it with some splenda and it tastes like a sugar cookie. I normally ate it lumpy, with a butt-ton of pure maple syrup and brown sugar, but I learned to like it without that.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My son says there is chocolate cream of wheat now too. I've been on a mission to find it, but haven't yet.

It's been around a long time. I've ate it off and on for well over 20 years.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Coco Wheats! It's own brand of chocolate cream of wheat. No sugar added, just like the original. I don't add as much as they suggest, and when I do it's brown or maple sugar for more flavor.
    Both come in small boxes, unlike oatmeal which I always see in cylanders.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to make it for me. Many fond memories there. I'm sure she put lots of butter and sugar in it.

I still have it on and off. Mmmm, kind of makes me want it right now!
  • fishshark
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I eat it every day! I love it. I add a bit of vanilla coffee creamer to it with some splenda and it tastes like a sugar cookie. I normally ate it lumpy, with a butt-ton of pure maple syrup and brown sugar, but I learned to like it without that.

i def had it with milk and an insane amount of brown sugar... im so excited though im going to the store first thing haha
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat rocks! They now have a whole wheat version of it.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Cream of Wheat rocks! They now have a whole wheat version of it.

idk why i assumed it was something that magically went away after i stopped eating it haha. Idk the nutritional value vs oatmeal (i do like oatmeal) but love cream of wheat more
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I started eating Oat Bran, and it's really really similar to cream of wheat. As long as you cook it enough (on the stove) it will thicken up and reminds me of the C.o.wheat I used to eat as a kid. Oat Bran has better macros though, in terms of fiber/protein. Add some coco powder & fruit and it's pretty delicious and nutritious :)
  • fishshark
    Options
    I started eating Oat Bran, and it's really really similar to cream of wheat. As long as you cook it enough (on the stove) it will thicken up and reminds me of the C.o.wheat I used to eat as a kid. Oat Bran has better macros though, in terms of fiber/protein. Add some coco powder & fruit and it's pretty delicious and nutritious :)

thank you for this! i struggle with fiber so that might be good for me over the cream of wheat
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    pbprincess wrote: »
    I am ok with cream of wheat, but my true love is red river. Both are far more delicious than oatmeal in my opinion.

Must be Canadian! I do love my Red River!! So good!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Huh, don't remember seeing it, but I wasn't looking. Cream of Wheat is my go-to low cal dessert. One serving + 1 tbsp cocoa powder + artificial sweetener. Add fruit if enough cals remain and you're in the mood.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I'll have to look for it. I already do the same with Cream of Wheat, and I can almost always use more protein and fiber ( though the iron in Cream of Wheat is pretty awesome )
  • fishshark
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I'll have to look for it. I already do the same with Cream of Wheat, and I can almost always use more protein and fiber ( though the iron in Cream of Wheat is pretty awesome )

i was anemic as a kid after an artery got cut open during a routing tonsillectomy so thats why my mom made it for me like 3 times a day ha!
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I recently tried oat bran, and noticed the similarity, too. I cook it in the microwave.