Feeling Disappointed - Gave up Pepsi

Options
2»

Replies

• BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Walking 3 hours a week is amazing! Good job! I know that's tough!

Keep in mind that depending on how quickly you walk, you only burn 200 (2mph) to 400 (4mph) calories in one hour. So that's a total of 600 - 1200 calories per week. To lose 1 pound, you should burn 3500 calories (about 3500 calories = 1 lb fat). So, at your current workout, you will reach 3500 calories after 6 weeks (based on the 2mph speed) or 3 weeks (4mph).

I was walking 3.5 mph for one hour twice a week and was worried because I wanted to see results quickly. So I changed my work out to 30 minutes of This Video along with 20 bicycle crunches (3 sets), 30 second plank (3 sets), 20 cherry pickers (3 sets). I've had great results!

What is your diet like? And when I say diet, I mean, what are you eating regularly? Your diet is a huge factor in losing weight. It's not just about the calories: if you eat too much of one thing (carbs, protein, fat, sugar), the excess is converted into fat. So making sure these areas are also within their limits is helpful!

Not true. For fat loss, it is all about the calories. If you eat too many (more than maintenance), the excess is converted to fat. It doesn't matter if you eat a lot of fat or protein or carbs so long as you stay in your calorie limit.

That said, obviously a balanced diet is important for health and macro balance definitely impacts satiety, diet adherence and body composition.

It's not as black and white as you would make it. Counting calories is important overall, but the details matter. Yes, excess calories will be converted to fat. I suppose I want to emphasize that nutrition is also important, not just counting calories.
  • BrandyGanus
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    What is your diet like? And when I say diet, I mean, what are you eating regularly? Your diet is a huge factor in losing weight. It's not just about the calories: if you eat too much of one thing (carbs, protein, fat, sugar), the excess is converted into fat. So making sure these areas are also within their limits is helpful!

Absolutely, positively false. If you are in a caloric deficit there is no net fat storage regardless of substrate proportioning. If that were the case, every vegan and keto dieter in the world would be clinically obese.

I will dig through my old textbooks but I was pretty sure my professor emphasized this to show us why there is a rise in obesity. But it's been a few years since the class, so perhaps I'm remembering it incorrectly.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Absolutely, positively false. If you are in a caloric deficit there is no net fat storage regardless of substrate proportioning. If that were the case, every vegan and keto dieter in the world would be clinically obese.

From what I learned in college, the body breaks down the food you eat into glucose for the bloodstream and then stores glycogen in the muscles and liver for quick energy. The rest is stored as fat. This is why smaller, frequent meals is better than fewer, larger meals.

But over the course of an entire day, it won't matter.

Everyone - whether gaining, losing, or maintaining - stores fat during part of the day, and burns fat during part of the day. That's what fat is for. There's no net difference at the end of the day between more frequent or less frequent meals - if you eat fewer but larger meals, you will immediately store more fat, but you'll also burn more fat in the longer fasting period between meals, so it works out to exactly the same as if you ate the same calories in smaller meals (where you store less but also burn less fat).
  • BrandyGanus
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

From what I learned in college, the body breaks down the food you eat into glucose for the bloodstream and then stores glycogen in the muscles and liver for quick energy. The rest is stored as fat. This is why smaller, frequent meals is better than fewer, larger meals.

Everyone - whether gaining, losing, or maintaining - stores fat during part of the day, and burns fat during part of the day. That's what fat is for. There's no net difference at the end of the day between more frequent or less frequent meals - if you eat fewer but larger meals, you will immediately store more fat, but you'll also burn more fat in the longer fasting period between meals, so it works out to exactly the same as if you ate the same calories in smaller meals (where you store less but also burn less fat).

I don't know about this. Most of the literature I've read states that eating smaller, frequent meals is better.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I don't know about this. Most of the literature I've read states that eating smaller, frequent meals is better.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/meal-patterning-part-1-book-excerpt.html/
  • BrandyGanus
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/meal-patterning-part-1-book-excerpt.html/

I found another article from a study stating there is not much difference in eating one meal a day versus several meals per day. Good to know that the doctor was incorrect.

Thanks for the information! I need "the more you know" rainbow now. ;)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

I found another article from a study stating there is not much difference in eating one meal a day versus several meals per day. Good to know that the doctor was incorrect.

Thanks for the information! I need "the more you know" rainbow now. ;)

Cheers
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Walking 3 hours a week is amazing! Good job! I know that's tough!

Keep in mind that depending on how quickly you walk, you only burn 200 (2mph) to 400 (4mph) calories in one hour. So that's a total of 600 - 1200 calories per week. To lose 1 pound, you should burn 3500 calories (about 3500 calories = 1 lb fat). So, at your current workout, you will reach 3500 calories after 6 weeks (based on the 2mph speed) or 3 weeks (4mph).

I was walking 3.5 mph for one hour twice a week and was worried because I wanted to see results quickly. So I changed my work out to 30 minutes of This Video along with 20 bicycle crunches (3 sets), 30 second plank (3 sets), 20 cherry pickers (3 sets). I've had great results!

ok as for the calorie burns its not going to be the same for everyone it will depend on a persons weight,and NO, eating to much of one thing will not turn it into fat,too many calories(eating more than your body burns) turn into fat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

No. People here have successfully lost lots of weight eating one or two meals a day.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »
    I used to drink about 4 20oz Pepsi's a day, if not more. I gave up Pepsi on February 1st and my stomach has not changed one bit. I was really hope to see my stomach go down from giving up the soda. I am going to continue to give up Pepsi for another month and I hope to see some positive changes.

Diet Pepsi is mostly water. If you switched from diet soda to different water, you made no change in calories.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    so you gave up pepsi

let's say just for argument sake it was standard and not 0 cal ... 4 x 20oz pepsi = 1000 calories

now that's a good cut

but lets take the rest of your food and drink intake - what are you consuming there? If it's still over your TDEE you will not lose any weight - and it would be very easy for this to be over your TDEE

so may I ask, why did you expect to lose weight if that's the only change you have made?