Saturated Fats Goal

Options
why does my goal for the amount of saturated fats I can eat change every day when my calorie goal remains the same? Unfortunately I've noticed I very often exceed my saturated fats allowance and am now trying to stay within the limit (goal) however, with it changing each day it's going to make tracking it difficult. Does exercise affect it as I go to the gym around 4 times a week?

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Do you log exercising and calories burnt daily? When doing so MFP automatically updates your goals/targets, could that be the reason?
  • jo9632
    jo9632 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's the only thing I could think of. Don't really understand why though as if ur trying to lose weight and burn off fat why it would increase your allowance. That seems like you'd be going round in circles.
  • HollyCatLover
    HollyCatLover Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The saturated fat goal is a percentage of total calories, so will increase as the calorie goal increases. The original calorie goal is based on an assumption that you do no exercise, so increases (properly) if you actually do exercise and log it.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MFP calculates a healthy weight loss for you. Lets say it offers you 1300kcal daily and you go to the gym and burn 300kcal, this leaves you 1000kcal for the day which is dangerously low as your body generally requires more than that for your to function properly.
    Basically, MFP creates a deficit for you and the more exercise you do the bigger the deficit, that is why your targets/goals have changed, they readjusted to a safe and sustainable level. There any many threads about the positives and negatives of eating back your exercise calories but most would advise that if exercise takes you lower than 1200kcal you should at least some of them back.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    Options

Did you even read the question?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The "Dashboard" (Your Daily Summary on the Web version or Calories Remaining panel on the mobile apps' Home page) shows your non-exercise Goal; that number is constant on the Dashboard. However, when you log Cardiovascular exercise, you will earn extra Calories which are added to your Goal. Those extra Calories are distributed across your macros (carbs, fat, and protein) in the percentages you have set, and some micronutrients are increased accordingly. If you use the Web version (you can use your mobile device's web browser) and navigate to FOOD > Food Diary and scroll to the bottom of that page, you will see that the Calories and some of the nutrients will have increased goals because of this. On the mobile apps, navigate to More/Menu > Nutrition > Nutrients > Day View and you will see similar information.

Edited to add: The above assumes you are not a Premium member who has opted to change the exercise settings to track exercise without increasing your Calorie or nutrient goals.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I track saturated fat because it affects cholesterol levels.