How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
How often do you all weigh yourselves? Record? Is it helping your diet?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i weighed every day last week and drove myself insane. im sticking to weekly weigh ins hun. i couldnt cope with the fluctuations. its all about preference
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every day. But I don't record until Friday. And Friday weigh-in I usually push the scale around the floor, reset it and take 4 or 5 measurements then average them. Not that it tends to vary much, but the engi-nerd in me wants something better than a "data point of one."
  • SlimEdgar
    SlimEdgar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I read that weighing everyday is the best. However, I weigh once a week. I agree with leahcollett1 that fluctuations are hard to take.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and record each day in an Excel worksheet. Like most, I do have daily weight fluctuation, but that is precisely why I record daily. I can't deal with weighing weekly and knowing that this one data point could be a fluctuation up or down, therefore not really accurate. I also record calories in and out daily, giving me a history at a glance of exactly what I've done and the result. At this point I have eight years of data in Excel. With this info at hand I can spot trends and see how various things (sodium, exercise, etc.) affect weight. I currently have it set so that Excel calculates my weekly average weight, but I'm thinking of changing the formula so that it averages the last three days rather than the entire week, since the end of the week is more current than the early days. But I lost most of my weight years ago, so I have little change from week to week now. But one must stay diligent!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and use trendweight.com to smooth out the fluctuations so I can see what's happening.
    It's logged everyday because I have an aria scale that automatically sends the data to Fitbit which sends it here.

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • fat2fitshley
    fat2fitshley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Daily for the most part... as long as I remember to weigh before I eat breakfast on the weekends :)
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Wake, pee, weigh, record. It's a way of life for me. the most important part of that is RECORD. Learn about the fluctuations and accept them. Chinese last night? Up 4 today. It will come back off quickly, it's happened before. Note to self: Limit Chinese :)
  • ECOBOOSTFITNESS
    ECOBOOSTFITNESS Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it's all about preference, but I weigh my self everyday, same time, some people can't cope with that number everyday, but I like to know what's working and what's not in my diet and lifestyle, mind over matter I say.....
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Almost every day, several times a day. For me seeing that number is motivation to not overeat and I like seeing the data and connecting it to what I have been doing or eating over the past week. I log my weight any time I see a change both up and down and use Trendweight to see what my overall trend is. But I am not terribly bothered when the numbers go the wrong way for a week or two... or as in the case of the last few months a month or two....

If a gain of a few pounds now and then is going to freak you out the daily weighing might not be for you.

• prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself sporadically just to make sure my weight is trending down.

I know weight fluctuates but I don't like seeing the spikes so I wait until I see other signs like clothes getting looser and my body feeling tighter to weigh myself.

I just weighed myself this morning and found out I hit goal! So yeah... That method has worked for my weight loss.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily ('wake, pee, weigh, record' as someone said above) and record it in a spreadsheet and in Libra. On Fridays I also put the weight into MFP and that gets carried over into my Fitbit account.

And this morning I got my 'way to go!' from MFP, and my 10lbs lost badge from Fitbit, so I'm currently doing my happy dance.
  • vannyn42
    vannyn42 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself about twice a week. Saturday is the weigh in I look forward to the most as I usually don't weigh myself M-F.
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily and just recently started to track in the app Libra. I'm ok with fluctuations so it doesn't bother me. I had an issue a while ago with obsessing over the scale so I took it away from myself for a month, then went to once weekly. It did the trick and now I'm fine weighing daily again, as I prefer.
    ETA: I find it helps me to keep on track by seeing the general downward trend, even if it fluctuates by a bit here and there.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Every hour on the hour. Gotta know how I'm doing!
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Just purchased a scale a month ago and weigh everyday or so
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh weekly and in the past I would have been the first to judge anyone who said they weighed daily, but then I stumbled across a really interesting MFP thread and learned about weight fluctuation apps, which show weight trending based on daily weigh ins. I thought I'll give it a go out of curiosity and it's been a real learning experience. So much energy is wasted by people stressing over fluctuations they don't recognise as fluctuations, but they assume to be true gains. Needless tears and tantrums if you have the data and you understand why.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I weigh every day but only track Mondays. Daily weighing doesn't bother me because I ignore fluctuations. Having Monday be my official day makes me behave over the weekend.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    once a week on sunday evening. If i did it every day i would probably get disappointed. When a week passes by and i see that i lost 0.5-1kg ,makes me feel like it's going well and motivates to keep going.