My story

Options
Hi guys! I'm 25 years old from the UK! I wanted to share some things and ask some random questions that you guys probably get a lot here!

I've been battling with weight since I was about 12 years old - you wouldn't really have ever thought of me as 'fat' probably more just 'average.' I don't know if this is right, scientifically, but I feel as though I've got a naturally 'skinny' frame and I am also quite tall at 6 foot 2, so I carry the weight particularly well. But recently I got into some fairly bad habits along with a stressful patch of work with lots of night shifts leading to binge eating out of a perceived 'necessity' and, not to mention, Christmas. I was the heaviest I'd ever been in my life just before Christmas and then I put on another 7lb's over the Christmas period. :'(

This took me, for the first time in my life, into the 'obese' category on the BMI chart. :(:(:(

I think this played a big role in motivating me to take action in a focused and motivated way for the first time in my life. I have never subscribed to any kind of 'diet' plan, or done any specific food restrictions at all before this. The only thing I've ever done is running.

I spent January of this year running twice per week, building up from a small distance. At the end of January I noticed that I hadn't lost any weight. None at all!

So that's why I started looking into doing something with my diet to go alongside the exercise. I'm now almost through my fourth week of calorie counting and it's going well! The hunger, at first, took a lot of willpower to push through and I usually leave my last meal till later in the evening and try to make that the biggest meal of the day. I do that because I think I would find it more difficult to sleep if I'm hungry than to not give in to that hunger during the day.

I lost a lot of weight in the first week and the progress has been a bit more slow and steady since then. I feel like I've learnt a lot already but I have more to learn! I wanted to ask some questions.

1) I have had three 'cheat days' since starting the calorie counting. These have occurred because I wanted to go out with friends and they were going to restaurants which do not publish any nutritional information with their menu or on their websites. On two of these occasions I knew this in advance and decided to go anyway because I didn't want calorie counting to restrict me socially. Do any of you have tips to manage these situations? I don't have that much of a social life and so I want to be free to go out and do spontaneous things when things crop up.

2) I don't know why but I am allured by the idea of a 'fitbit.' My logical brain sees it as a waste of money because I already have all the things I need and I am using RunKeeper on my phone to track my exercise and am perfectly happy with it. I just think it might be something that motivates me even more? I'd like some opinions on this sort of wearable technology, if you'd be so kind!

3) At the moment I am not 'eating back' my exercise calories - just sticking to the same goal every day. I have read all over the place that I should be doing this but this would introduce the problem of variability and accuracy of the burnt-calorie counting. At the moment I like what I'm doing because I can be 'sure' that I am creating a calorie deficit. If you are someone who eats back their exercise calories - do you find it hard work keeping track of that? Do you have any tips for someone wanting to do this?

Sorry for the long post.

TL;DR: how do you manage eating out, do you rate fitbit or similar gadgets and do you eat back your exercise calories or have tips for doing so?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    Welcome to MFP
    I have some suggestions

Check MFP "Most Helpful Post" at the beginning of this message board
    here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

There are several MFP threads about Fitness trackers. You can use the Search Option, above your posting title.

Also, there is a MFP group for Fitbit users. You can find them at the "Group" option, dark blue banner above
    here is a link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

There are many MFP threads about Eating out managing. Use the Search option.
    Many people google the intended restaurant/eating facility and get the menu in advance. Many menus have their calorie content at the web page. Choose one menu item that accomodates your nutrition plan.

I only eat back a percentage of my calories burned in a day. MFP estimates and machine estimates for calories burned are overstated so I do not eat more than 50% of those numbers, in order to ensure I am eating at a deficit

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    welcome! for #1: my suggestion is when you go out with your friends, use common sense to eat as healthy as possible, but as long as these outings are infrequent, don't stress too much and enjoy yourself :-)
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go out with your friends. Make choices as wisely as you can, perhaps ask for half of your meal to go (even if you aren't going to eat it... just to control your portion), and don't drink a ton of calories while you are out (she said without intending to practice it).

If you think about it, this is the responsible thing to do... because as soon as you feel like your food choices are limiting your social activities, you're going to drop them like a hot potato because it's just no fun and who wants to live a life where you trade your friends for salad? So go, but don't use it as permission to forget portions and choices.

As for a fitness tracker, mine has completely changed my life in more ways than I can get into in one message board post. Absolutely get one, if for no other reason than because it too is a "social activity" (for lack of a better word) when you and your friends cheer for and challenge each other in the app, and you sound like someone who is craving more social interaction.

But be prepared... it's going to motivate you in all sorts of ways you never imagined, which go far beyond counting steps. It's so, so, so empowering.

You will not regret it, even a little. Sure, you have information now, but you will be surprised by how much more insight you're going to get. Pro tip: Fitbit isn't the only brand. While it's easiest to find your friends there because it is the most popular, don't discount one like Jawbone Up3, whose data crunching I am particularly fond of.

Bonus points: when you go out with friends, you can tell yourself you're going to walk an extra 5,000 steps to offset the damage done at dinner (or whatever) and feel less guilty. :)