Vegetarian/Vegan diet

Options
hey everyone lately I decided to become a vegetarian then vegan I will be consuming diary , nuts , fruits and veggies for a month then I'm going to cut out the dairy for animal cruelty reasons so I'm really new to this and I don't want to end up with defincey in my diet as a weight lifter my diet has always been high in protein something like 40 % carbs 40% protein % 20 % fat now that I will cut out chicken , meat and eggs . I will be depending on cottage cheese and whey protein isolate to get protein in but I'm worried about when i will switch to a vegan diet how do u get that much protein in while balancing it out with the rest of the macros and calories ? I know it will probably won't be possible to get a ratio of 40 40 20 on a vegan diet but what's my best options ? Thanks !

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegans get protein from beans, grains, and vegetables. Specific foods that are higher in protein include seitan, tofu, beans, protein powders (hemp/pea protein), and tempeh. I notice you didn't call out grains and beans specifically above -- you may want to think about ways to incorporate these into your diet.

Here is an article that I found helpful: http://food52.com/blog/14291-how-to-get-lots-of-protein-as-a-vegan
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian not a vegan, but I eat a lot of beans.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's hard, I have 2 protein drinks a day and still have low protein. I guess I need to up the beans but they are high in cals so...
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Roasted pumpkin seeds
    Asparagus
    Broccoli
    Mung bean sprouts
    Peas
    Lentils
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There's a vegan bodybuilding site, can't remember what it's called - maybe it's as simple as veganbodybuilding.com.

But if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it, along with recommendations regarding protein.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I can tell you that people don't need as much protein as they think they need.

I get about 60 grams a day (about 20% of my macro) and that works fine for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I can tell you that people don't need as much protein as they think they need.

I get about 60 grams a day (about 20% of my macro) and that works fine for me.

OP is a weightlifter though -- it's understandable that he might need more protein to reach his goals.
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the articles :) I found them very helpful and yes I need to add grains and maybe tofu into my diet
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you go to your local whole foods or natural/health grocery store they may have black bean or chickpea pasta. It's 160 cals for 50grams with 23 grams of protein. It also tastes pretty good when you mix it with a yummy sauce. Hot or cold both taste good and this is what has saved my life being a vegan.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    roz112 wrote: »
    If you go to your local whole foods or natural/health grocery store they may have black bean or chickpea pasta. It's 160 cals for 50grams with 23 grams of protein. It also tastes pretty good when you mix it with a yummy sauce. Hot or cold both taste good and this is what has saved my life being a vegan.

What? I haven't seen this! Maybe I can find it online.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like Sun Warrior vegan protein powder, which is awesome in a smoothie. (I make one with raw cacao, powdered peanut butter, frozen banana and almond milk.) Field Roast burgers are good, as well as the usual suspects: beans, lentils, nuts, tofu, tempeh, seitan...