The last 5 pounds.

Options

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    swim777 wrote: »
    Every pound is still 3500 calories deficit....
    Only closer to goal weight or leaner and weighing less the weight loss slowed down...a lot.

Its not harder, more difficult than the first pound loss...its slower that's all. Don't let that discourage you.

Another thing is... your body dont know it is the last pound, so it doesn't make any different. What if you decide to lose another 15 lbs? Than suddenly it isn't the last 5 lbs anymore.

I am not saying this to be mean, but to let you see and understand that it isnt harder. It is slower. The concept is still the same.
    Create a bigger deficit and it will go faster. Which i wont encourage to do. Just enjoy and even go slowly a bit up towards maintaining level

I did it and lost my last 10 lbs that way over 3 months time. And now i am thinking of going to 139 lbs and find my range there.
    What happens when you go to maintaining ( for me personally) is that while upping i got stronger and got more energy. Got more active than i was before and i started to burn more. My exercises got intenser and i had more power to do them. Result i kept on losing weight while i ate more. I eat a part of my calories back, and always did. This to fuel my body because i put it to work. Result of that is a stronger and more energy filled body which wanted to work. ( Don't confuse this with eat more to lose more...it always stays calories in versus calories out and the deficit will determent your weight loss)
    This is all a personal choice of course. But will work for a lot of people. Just keep weighing your food that is all there is too it.
    Know your intake and because i upped my calories to maintaining more and more i got more fuel. And i run harder/faster etc. Now you would say, no difference you eat it back so it levels out. But in my case not true.
    I always ate 50% back or more when i was more hungry. But when i upped my calories toward maintaining level and my exercises calories went up too, i noticed that i ate less back.
    Now dont think that i exercised for hundreds more because i was eating more. Just a bit more the total difference over the months is about 100 calories more in general. So i went from 250 NET burned calories on average to about 350 NET.
    And i dont seem to need eat 50% of those. I have enough energy.

Now i do TDEE so maintaining for me is around 2200-2300 ( so includes my exercise calories)
    But i eat around 2000-2100 So still lose weight very slowly. I just dont feel the need to eat more. And yes some days i do. I have a drink, go out etc. So those weeks/days it levels out.
    But overall i have enough by eating around that 2000 calories. So what i try to say with this is. When you up your calories you still can lose weight as long as you are patient. Not in a hurry and accept the fact that you reach your goal a bit later...
    Win of this situation is a much more pleasurable weight loss period with lots of calories to play with and lose weight :)
    Getting used to your maintenance level and what you can do with it, and not gain weight back.

This is how it works for me, everybody is different but i am sure that this will work for some other people too.

95069916.png

Thanks for the info! You have done so well, and I'm hoping to be as successful! It is a patience thing. I like to meet my goals just being a little down about that, but I have met the original goal I had set out to do. I kept on going when I realized that I could finally get back down to where I really would like to be.
    The idea of working out a little harder doesn't bother me. I can do a little more. I'm even just trying to get the steps in as well as the treadmill right now. I waited on strength training because I'm clueless about it. I'll also swim a lot this summer. I'd love a few more calories!

Thanks for this new perspective!

Fixed that for you in:.... I will be as successful! :)

:)) Thanks!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This January I increased my resistance training to 4 days, decreased my cardio, made sure I ate 1gram of protein per lb of body weight, cycled my calorie deficit during the week and ate at my TDEE on weekends.
    It's been 8 weeks doing this and I've lost 9 lbs!! Previously I was playing with the same 5lbs +\- for 6 months. During that time I did lose BF and gain muscle but the scale didn't move much. I did monthly measurements and had lost inches.
    What type of activity do you do? How is your protein intake? What's your TDEE?
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes. I basically figure those last few pounds are vanity pounds. My BMI is around 20-21 so that's good. I'm also quite muscular for 51 yrs old. I consider myself in strict maintenance but I do believe that these few lbs will trickle off over the next year or so. However, I'm pretty happy where I'm at, perhaps because I never thought I could do this well with the loss and because I'm pretty pleased with the way I look and feel. Anyway - that's my point of view for me.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not really clear on this TDEE things and cycling one's calorie deficit during the week. I did a TDEE calcular. It gave me a BMR and TDEE calorie counts but I guess I don't quite get how to use this. Can someone explain?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It took my as long to lose the last 5 pounds as it did to lose the first 25. But I just kept plugging away and it happened. Make sure you have adjusted your weight on MFP and recalculate your goal to get the proper calories. Make sure you have the right goal. I found it helpful to keep my carbs under 40% (that's not very low) because it meant I was getting more protein and fat and my body had to work harder to get access to fast energy so metabolized my stored fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you actually have 5 Lbs to lose or are you just trying to hit some arbitrary number that you set for yourself? That's one of the big issues I have with some number being the goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Do you actually have 5 Lbs to lose or are you just trying to hit some arbitrary number that you set for yourself? That's one of the big issues I have with some number being the goal.

So true. I see people complain about their last 5 pounds, when they already have a BMI lower than what it would be if I reached mine, lol.

It doesn't really mean anything. Although in my case if my goal was lower I'd be complaining about the last 10 pounds (or, well, 11/12 pounds currently).
  • Suhrah623
    Suhrah623 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

That's a very good question.

I don't know the answer though.
    I guess the answer would be that it's a little of both? I have changed my goal weight 3 times now. These last 5 lbs are more of an arbitrary number but also at the same time i did have a little fat left i was hoping to lose. Mostly my belly area.
  • Suhrah623
    Options
    lavrn03 wrote: »
    This January I increased my resistance training to 4 days, decreased my cardio, made sure I ate 1gram of protein per lb of body weight, cycled my calorie deficit during the week and ate at my TDEE on weekends.
    It's been 8 weeks doing this and I've lost 9 lbs!! Previously I was playing with the same 5lbs +\- for 6 months. During that time I did lose BF and gain muscle but the scale didn't move much. I did monthly measurements and had lost inches.
    What type of activity do you do? How is your protein intake? What's your TDEE?

Yeah see, all this time I've been losing I haven't really concentrated on macros or certain types of workouts. I was doing a lot of circuit training for a while and I kind of fell off the bandwagon a while back. I try to stay active though. I work part time where I'm on my feet a lot, and I have 3 kids im chasing around all day.
    I'm studying for a huge test for work that I have to pass. After that I would like to incorporate some more vigorous workouts back into my day on a routine basis.
    My protein intake is usually pretty good. I think mfp has me set to 20% for the day and I usually hit around 28%?
    I have no idea what my TDEE is. I guess I should calculate that....
  • Suhrah623
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    It took my as long to lose the last 5 pounds as it did to lose the first 25. But I just kept plugging away and it happened. Make sure you have adjusted your weight on MFP and recalculate your goal to get the proper calories. Make sure you have the right goal. I found it helpful to keep my carbs under 40% (that's not very low) because it meant I was getting more protein and fat and my body had to work harder to get access to fast energy so metabolized my stored fat.

Thanks! I have my cals set to lose 3/4 of a pound a week. I'll just keep plugging away and I'll get there eventually
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    TDEE is your totaly daily burn

so being alive ( without doing nothing)
    activity AND exercise

For people ( like me) who exercise every day and have an average burn over the week, TDEE is easier to do.

NEAT ( what MFP does) is your daily burn from being alive and active but WITHOUT exercise
    this is why you should eat at least a part of your exercise back when you follow MFP.
    It calculates what you need ( deficit build in) without doing exercise, just your activity level.
  • Suhrah623
    Options
    Update:
    The scale is moving this week! And I hit my goal weight today! Now on to lose the last couple pounds so that when i go into maintenance and gain the water weight back I'll still be at my goal
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :)

I'm 3.4 lbs below my original goal. I kind of want to lose a few more lbs but weight loss has definitely slowed way down so I might just move to recomp now. I've been debating that for a little while now.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Suhrah623 wrote: »
    Update:
    The scale is moving this week! And I hit my goal weight today! Now on to lose the last couple pounds so that when i go into maintenance and gain the water weight back I'll still be at my goal

Yay Yay Yay Congratulations
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
  • swim777
    Options
    Update:

Congratulations!!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    wooohooo awesome!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Update:

Ditto, as of last week!

I've got 1.4 kg to go till I hit the bottom of my goal range and switch to maintaining.

(That's if the weight comes off my waist! LOL )
  • swim777
    Options
    Update:

Congratulations!!!
  • Numerio
    Numerio Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't let your body get too used to an exercise! Switch it up! Keep your body guessing!