Cheese Substitute?

Options
2»

Replies

• lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In the movie Knife over Fork, they cite a study where lab mice were given casein (milk protein). The group that got 20% casein developed cancer and the 5% group did not. When they took the mice with cancer and alternated their casein intake every 3 weeks, the cancer reduced during the time they had 5% milk protein instead of the 20%.

I also learned that milk protein causes acid in the body and the body uses its alkaline -bone calcium- to combat it. So I think I can do better when it comes to protein choices.

I cut back on mik protein after I saw the movie (2 weeks ago). I usually have 5-6 cheeses for us to snack on. Now I have 2 and they're both used as a flavoring and not an entrée. I don' t see us returning to a high fat/high calorie, possibly unhealthy, food. We both have low cholesterol and triglycerides, but still, it seems that a whole plant based diet - or any shade of one - is better than a animal-protein-heavy one.
  • mrsthompson662
    mrsthompson662 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh....hello...I'm a vegan previous cheese lover this was a big issue for me. Ones for you to try which all my non vegan friends love. Kite Hill is very yummy get the chive cream cheese flavor...the others are ok bit this one on a bagel is very good. The other is Treeline I love every one of the cheese I have tried with them. Love Late July chips dipped in this. Calories and fat way below regular cheese. As far as melting cheese....well....havent found one that's gonna be close to regular cheese. So I biy both the above from Wholefoods sometimes Natural grocery.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I just eat cheese. Quite a bit actually. I generally have at least two types a day. I love cheese! As far as I'm concerned it's it's own food group and I need 2-3 servings a day ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One thing that seems to work for me, is using a cheese planer. It shaves the cheese and a serving size looks like a lot of cheese. You can use a potato peeler as well. That works really well on hard cheeses like parmesan. Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. Change eating habits that you can maintain for a lifetime. No food off limits. All things in moderation.

This is a brilliant idea!

Yes, brilliant! I'm borrowing it.

- Buy very good, old, sharp cheese.
    - Pre-cut in to reasonable portions, wrap, and put in the freezer. Take out your daily portion.
    - Moon cheese!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Damn... The struggle is so real, lol. I'll literally put cheese on everything. What is this moderation you speak of? :(

Can you use smaller amounts of a strong tasting cheese? I use lots of feta -- it's strong enough that a little makes a difference, and it's pretty low cal for cheese.

I also eat other cheeses, but tend to save them for a treat and savor them rather than just adding them to everything like I used to (or eating an insane amount as a snack).
  • Squeaksfriend
    Squeaksfriend Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Many vegans use nutritional yeast as a substitute for parmesan cheese.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Love me nutritional yeast(:
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use Daiya and nutritional yeast, but that's because I'm lactose intolerant -- not because of calorie cutting reasons. Daiya is comparable to regular cheese as far as calories and fat go (and has far less protein,) and nutritional yeast is also comparable once you've mixed it with enough oil or nuts to make a passable cheese substitute out of it.

If you can eat real cheese, just do that and limit your portion size. It tastes better, is cheaper, and is way easier to prepare.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    your very thread title made me sob

I buy extra mature cheddar, grate it and keep it in a Tupperware in my fridge - 5 or 10g to top eggs or veg stews etc is not a big calorie burn

as for cheese boards - nope .. can't do it ... put a cheese board in front of me and it will be gone - in like 4 minutes, and I will be sitting there pretending it wa'nt me (a la Shaggy)

so I only keep cottage cheese, laughing cow light and grated mature cheddar, oh and leerdammer light slices, oh and edam slices for toasties .. in my fridge

cheese-fiend