Vitamin D

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Some Vitamin D tablets have soy in them, so be careful. I take 2000iu daily, mine was extremely low and I only found out through blood work. I take vitafusion, pop two in my mouth, chew them up and I am done. Once I start taking Vitamin D, it was like night and day, the fog was removed from my brain and my depressive thoughts disappeared. I also take synthroid daily.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    You know, I think many deficiencies and vitamins can hurt and help our efforts. The choir will sing about CICO until they're hoarse but I keep experiencing things that make me question it.
    Like how I finally stopped actually counting calories, stopped taking a medication that I am so absolutely sure lead to my weight gain, and am now supplementing with vitamin D (I believe I experience more depressive symptoms in winter so I have decided it's going to be a regular supplement), and instead of my anti depressant I'm trying a more natural herbal that has shown benefits to depressed patients.

It's only been a few weeks but I have lost 2lbs without counting anything, and I really hope I'm on to something for myself. We are not simple "in vs out" machines, there is so much happening on a biological level that we cannot rely on such a simple concept being the only solution. So basically I do believe that having vitamin deficiency can slow down or stop weight loss- if your body is worried about the lack of a nutrient, it's not going to help you empty out stores of fat because it's too concerned about what it's lacking. Give it all it needs first then you can focus on losing fat.

All just my opinion, but based on personal experiences as of late.

I get where you're coming from, but calories in/calories out is a predictable way to lose weight, ***unless you have underlying health conditions***, which will skew the numbers. It's still the same concept, it just may need a little tweaking.
  • garrystirrup
    garrystirrup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Google Dr Rhonda Patrick for some of the intelligent insight into vitamin d.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Personal, anecdotal evidence. I was Vitamin D deficient even while taking a calcium supplement containing Vitamin D. I added a dose of Vitamin D to my daily routine. I really think it helps with my ongoing efforts to lose weight.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started trying to lose weight again, about the same time that I found out I was vitamin D deficient. I started taking a supplement, and worked to lose weight. And, it fell off. I told myself it was water weight. But, I'm thinking most people don't have 20 pounds of water weight. ;) I kept at it. I got frustrated with swallowing pills in the morning. I kept taking my MS meds, but stopped taking the Vit. D. And, I didn't stop losing, but, it definitely slowed. And, it seemed I had more variation in the scale, day to day. I weigh daily. So, I started the supplement back up, and the scale started moving faster, and more consistently downward.

I understand weight loss =CICO, but I think there is a lot of variables in how many calories go out for each person. I don't think a vitamin d supplement is a magic pill. But, if your body has the nutrients it needs, it makes sense that things would work better. My weight loss has been "easier" with the right amount of vitamin D. My mood has improved, and I have SO much more energy. Maybe that's all it is, more energy=moving more=number on the scale moving down. But the point is, that's kinda my goal for being here.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I understand weight loss =CICO, but I think there is a lot of variables in how many calories go out for each person.

Boom, right there. This is why I always cringe at all the CICO arguments. "Weight loss is simple - just eat less calories than you're burning!" CI is much easier to measure. CO is vastly different for EVERYONE! A vitamin D deficiency very well might be slowing your weight loss down. It may not be slowing down someone else.

Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I take Synthroid and have for about a dozen years, since I turned 40. I'm taking Vit D about as long.

An overactive thyroid can fix itself, but not an underactive one. Do you know what your levels are?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a Vitamin D supplement for years - its the "Sunshine" supplement, and I live in Canada, and winters are cold and dark. And long. And miserable (though this year, not so bad)

Throughout all this time, I have been both over weight and proper weight. My experience is that it matters not a whit with this particular supplement.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi there. I had very similar height, weight, calorie intake, and vitamin D stats.

I have been on supplements for 5 months. I notice less fatigue during the day, less interrupted sleep at night, better muscle coordination during exercise and better recovery. Edited to add that menstrual cycle became more regular as well.

I didn't however notice any increase in weight loss as a result of supplementing. I was logging both before and after supplementing.

The free meals might be causing the maintaining vs losing. What do you think?

Also a heart rate monitor like you use set up with proper height, weight, age etc. can be pretty accurate determining calorie burn, but even with using one, I try to only eat back 1/2 or less of my exercise calories and set my activity level to sedentary to account for any food measuring/logging errors I might have made. Do you eat back all those calories?

Any potential food allergies/ sensitivity that could be causing bloat/inflammation? That might be a bit of a reach but if nothing else pans out it might be worth looking into.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I lost my most weight in the beginning of my weight loss journey...with having a ( unknown) Vitamin D deficiency.
    I lost about 70 pounds in about 3 to 4 months

After the first months discovered the deficiency and had to start the Vitamine D and lost the rest of my weight.

No difference at all.....what so ever.

But i just kept my deficit over time and worked out.

And yes it is all about CICO always!...but circumstances can slow you down. Like Tyroid issues, lack of sleep etc. But the outcome still is the same
    When you want to lose a pound you need to eat 3500 on average less.

95069916.png
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No. I call BS. It sounds like a convenient excuse to blame either of those things for your lack of weight loss for the past 6 months. I think it's pretty obvious that what it really boils down to is that you are a.) eating more than you think you are, b.) less active than you think you are, or c.) lack consistency in calorie counting/exercising.

I encourage you to log more strictly for 2 weeks, lower the calories to 1,200 if you must, and perform light cardiovascular exercise. Re-visit your weight and i can almost assure you that you will have lost.

It wasn't until i took a long hard look and was very honest with myself that i lost weight with the health problems that i have. I was convinced everything was stacked against me. The truth is that i overate on the weekends, ate too many "cheat meals" (even one of these can undo a few weeks worth of work), didn't exercise as frequently as i thought, and overate of things like nut butters/snacking/tasting. Once i cut this out, accepted it, and truly changed, i lost all of the weight i needed to lose over a 8-12 week period.

This. Someone post that video where measuring cups are shown to be inaccurate. I was measuring out 1/2 cup of rice last night which the package said was 90g. My half cup was pretty underfilled in order for it to be 90g. Same with the oatmeal I measured out the day before. I had to make sure I wasn't overcounting my exercise calories as well. I weigh bread before I eat it. I weigh butter / sour cream / peanut butter.

I was counting calories with a Vitamin D deficiency, started taking a supplement, I noticed no difference. If anything, my weight loss had slowed down. Probably because I was doing a poor job at logging, eating more than I really thought, and overcounting exercise calories.
    RLFlores92 wrote: »
    I don't eat horribly, about 1300-1400 calories per day, portion sizes are normal and I splurge on a meal or two per week.

OP this is the part that concerns me. Even when I am logging accurately, my "goal" is not necessarily what I'm eating. Even when my goal was ~1500 I averaged the last 21 days and my ACTUAL is generally closer to 1750 because like you I splurge every now and then. That extra 250 calories was definitely slowing my weight loss down even though I was logging accurately, I just chose to conveniently forget the days I overate. Be honest with yourself. Use your food scale for everything that isn't liquid. Make sure you aren't overcounting exercise calories (I run also with a HRM and take 90% of what it gives me for calories just to be on the safe side).
  • RLFlores92
    RLFlores92 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Lost 4.5 lbs last week after I started the prescription Vitamin D supplement. I didn't change my diet or my exercise routine at all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Lost 4.5 lbs last week after I started the prescription Vitamin D supplement. I didn't change my diet or my exercise routine at all.

Congrats :smile: How much VitD (1000-2000) are you taking?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Magic!!!!!

Now we will get the Vitamin D diet soon.
    Or probably already there.

Think of it OP...when this was the solution to lose weight would not every doctor prescribe it for weight loss.
    The supplement sector would milk it out big time.

And why do i dont lose weight while i take vitamin D? At this moment?

95069916.png
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had a serious vitamin D deficiency. I had to take 10,000 IU of vitamin D a day. That was back at my lowest adult weight ever...
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    lisa0527 wrote: »
    Well, that's not completely true. We know that differing gut microbiota extract calories (especially from carbs) at different rates. So the same "calories in the mouth" will not be the same "calories absorbed" for every person. Sadly, many of the things people do to lose weight result in a over growth of gut bacteria that extract calories at a higher rate. Especially artificial sweeteners. Here's a link if anyone is interested. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4494042/

That still doesn't change CICO's factual basis.

Variations in individuals varies +/-100 cals/day. Gut flora already taken into account.
  • RLFlores92
    Options

Congrats :smile: How much VitD (1000-2000) are you taking?

They have me on 50,000 twice a week for 6 months
  • RLFlores92
    Options
    Magic!!!!!

Now we will get the Vitamin D diet soon.
    Or probably already there.

Think of it OP...when this was the solution to lose weight would not every doctor prescribe it for weight loss.
    The supplement sector would milk it out big time.

And why do i dont lose weight while i take vitamin D? At this moment?

95069916.png

The way my doctor described it to me when I went in for a check up yesterday was that it's the way my body processes sugar and such with the deficiency. Now that my body is getting the vitamin D it needs it isn't holding onto excess things I eat.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    303lissy wrote: »
    I understand weight loss =CICO, but I think there is a lot of variables in how many calories go out for each person.

Boom, right there. This is why I always cringe at all the CICO arguments. "Weight loss is simple - just eat less calories than you're burning!" CI is much easier to measure. CO is vastly different for EVERYONE! A vitamin D deficiency very well might be slowing your weight loss down. It may not be slowing down someone else.

Good luck!

CO is easy to determine, if you are logging food intake accurately, and weighing frequently.

Eating 1800 cals/day, and losing 1/2 per week? Congrats! That's a 250 cal/day deficit. Eating 1800 cals/day and losing 1lb/week? Awesome, you learned what a 500 cal/day deficit is.

Yes, you tweak it, but it's small tweaks, nothing more than a couple of oreo cookies per day.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No. I call BS. It sounds like a convenient excuse to blame either of those things for your lack of weight loss for the past 6 months. I think it's pretty obvious that what it really boils down to is that you are a.) eating more than you think you are, b.) less active than you think you are, or c.) lack consistency in calorie counting/exercising.

I encourage you to log more strictly for 2 weeks, lower the calories to 1,200 if you must, and perform light cardiovascular exercise. Re-visit your weight and i can almost assure you that you will have lost.

It wasn't until i took a long hard look and was very honest with myself that i lost weight with the health problems that i have. I was convinced everything was stacked against me. The truth is that i overate on the weekends, ate too many "cheat meals" (even one of these can undo a few weeks worth of work), didn't exercise as frequently as i thought, and overate of things like nut butters/snacking/tasting. Once i cut this out, accepted it, and truly changed, i lost all of the weight i needed to lose over a 8-12 week period.

This. Someone post that video where measuring cups are shown to be inaccurate. I was measuring out 1/2 cup of rice last night which the package said was 90g. My half cup was pretty underfilled in order for it to be 90g. Same with the oatmeal I measured out the day before. I had to make sure I wasn't overcounting my exercise calories as well. I weigh bread before I eat it. I weigh butter / sour cream / peanut butter.

I was counting calories with a Vitamin D deficiency, started taking a supplement, I noticed no difference. If anything, my weight loss had slowed down. Probably because I was doing a poor job at logging, eating more than I really thought, and overcounting exercise calories.
    I don't eat horribly, about 1300-1400 calories per day, portion sizes are normal and I splurge on a meal or two per week.

OP this is the part that concerns me. Even when I am logging accurately, my "goal" is not necessarily what I'm eating. Even when my goal was ~1500 I averaged the last 21 days and my ACTUAL is generally closer to 1750 because like you I splurge every now and then. That extra 250 calories was definitely slowing my weight loss down even though I was logging accurately, I just chose to conveniently forget the days I overate. Be honest with yourself. Use your food scale for everything that isn't liquid. Make sure you aren't overcounting exercise calories (I run also with a HRM and take 90% of what it gives me for calories just to be on the safe side).

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU