Is it worth....

Options
Me considering forking out for a personal trainer or should I save my money and use these forums better? I was only thinking they could review what I have done over the last 100+ days and point out where I have been going wrong and how I can improve my weigh loss and increase my strength and stamina. Anyone have experience of personal trainers? UK based down south east near London

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I have no experience in your particular geographic area, but a personal trainer is only as good as their training, knowledge, and skills. Unfortunately, as with many doctors, bad and incorrect advice is still given repeatedly. Can you meet with a few trainers? Do your research. Find out their credentials, experience and track record. A GOOD personal trainer is well worth the money, IMHO.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    if you can find a very good trainer with experience and knowledge they are worth it , not just a local gym trainer or someone that took an online certification class.
    Regarding using the forums, i can see on people's posts there is some knowledgeable good advice and then some very bad advice . If you don't know what you're doing, its hard to tell who knows what they are talking about. (and # of posts they have isn't a good indication of knowledge and expertise)
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Pending your knowledge base, get a trainer. Have him write a 3 month plan, a 6 month plan, and work the hell out of it. The forum isn't going to give you personalized advice, diet pointers, exercise tricks, a manipulation techniques.

I was one of those trainers who took an online course, but I have 6 years prior experience with overweight/obese & bodybuilder clients. I went to school for engineering b/c it's my 1st love.

In short, the trainer can be your catalyst for sustained body modification. Pick one like you pick your barber.
  • CodyQuinlan
    CodyQuinlan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    In American personal trainers are worth a 300 dollars license and not much more and one with a bachelors degree in biology or health sciences would be able to help you much better. Or a physical therapist or registered dietitian
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    As far s nutrition went, I had to research all the info my trainer gave me anyway. She was great for teaching me proper form for lifting and I will never regret spending the money.

I learned most of what I need to know about diet and nutrition through these forums. I followed some of the users who seemed well informed, read the links they provided, and then did my own searches on the topics as well.