Does having a dog make/keep you more active?

Options

Replies

• dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a shih poo and taking her out everyday definitely adds to my step count but the walks are not much of a workout as she stops and sniffs so much.
    My partner often takes her on a run with him which she really enjoys (she's half poodle so loves to run) . I'm hoping to be able to do that soon too when I've got better at running.

One great thing about her is because she is small she fits into a doggy basket on my bike and we often take her on long bike rides....she loves it and loves the wind in her fur!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I'm astonished there are people who in all honesty say that their dogs don't need to be walked. :|

I don't have dogs anymore (too much work and they tied you up like children) but when I did, and I had three at the same time, I was the only one walking them and only during the weekend. I was leaving the house very early in the morning and coming back late and also traveling a lot, so walking the dogs all the time was something that I didn't have time to do.

My husband doesn’t like dogs and he thinks that walking them is plain crazy (hence no more dogs for us!!!). Luckily we had a big side and back yard and we let them run around before we left for work and when we got back, so they got their exercise. When the kids were younger they would play a lot with them in the back yard, but when the kids got older, I was the only one in charge.

I was and still am very active so having a dog (or dogs), was not a reason to exercise; I did that on my own. But we are all different so for many people it is a motivation and an enjoyment.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dollydiva2 wrote: »
    I have a shih poo and taking her out everyday definitely adds to my step count but the walks are not much of a workout as she stops and sniffs so much.
    !

Haha I have a 10yr old mastiffxridgeback who tests my patience on each and every walk... Two steps and stop and sniff, Two steps and stops and does a bit of meditation. I walk her off lead so i just let her do her own thing, as long as she's happy It's all good, but it does zero for either of our fitness level.

zx6344gaorv1.jpg

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I'm astonished there are people who in all honesty say that their dogs don't need to be walked. :|

I couldn't agree more!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Please do! It makes me really sad to think about my older sister's dog. Neither her, nor her husband care to take her out, aside from getting the mail at the end of their block.

She's always so eager to go out on a walk.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on the dog breed, the amount of space in your home, etc. For example, my little pups does not require a daily walk, but she enjoys a good walk. She is a real couch potato and after 15-20 mins of rough play, she is pretty much done for the day.

So, if you are looking for a dog that is more active and needs consistent walking/runinng, I suggest researching breeds and finding the right fit for your family! However, I cannot do this post without saying.....try to rescue! You can still find young dogs (even puppies) at a local rescue.

ar30brhkpwb3.jpg
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Our beast from the pound doesn't play well with other dogs, so I don't take her out. Pity because I would love to walk her, it's just so much work.

I doubt your beast is more work than my 75 pound husky was when we first rescued him. He was not socialized to other dogs, small prey aggressive, and we walked him along a golf course with tons of birds. My goodness, could he pull!

But with a lot of patience and practice, he became a great walker and stopped pulling. My ex brought him to dog park where he learned to play nice with other dogs.

Sounds just like this guy!

20160207_084214_resized_zpsomifz6ll.jpg

titan1_zps5571e395.jpeg

He's a husky/GSD mix. Biggest PITA I've ever had on a leash, loses his stupid mind every time he sees another dog. Or a cat. Or a squirrel. Or a bird. Or a leaf that wiggles. He's come a LONG way, though, with lots of work. And lots of patience. Sheesh.

He does better when we run, though. He loves to run with me, and when he's running, he's much more focused.

I've also got a harness and pole thingie for him to run along next to a bike. I THOUGHT I'd get some exercise biking with him, but forget it. The husky in him goes into work mode and shoot, I could just take my feet off the pedals if I want to. He loves pulling me around the neighborhood. That's my "lazy" way of exercising him.

My other dog is not nearly as active. She'd rather go for a ride in the jeep. :)

20160113_152400_resized_zpspby7clfr.jpg
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    wyin01v1mvu3.jpeg

rn09lohbr75g.jpeg

This is my 5 month puppy. My husband and I have to get her energy out or she will get the crazy zoomies. She loves walks, fetch and tug and of course all the puppy things as she loves to play.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I'm just loving all the dog pictures. :)
  • LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    unxvqtyr41n9.jpeg

Here are my two furbabies. Having dogs will get you to take more walks so their needs are met. Even if my husband and I both walk the dogs in the same day, they still could go longer.
  • rnlarry24
    rnlarry24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    finnsgma wrote: »
    Our family is getting a puppy this Summer and I am really hoping that it will have a positive impact on the entire family's activity level. We are pretty inactive, not couch potatoes by any means, but when we are inside we are definitely on devices. I am having fantasies of long walks outside with the dog and overall being more active. Anyone here find that having a dog keeps them more active?

• rnlarry24
    rnlarry24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dog a great way to lose weight and they love ya for it
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I'm just loving all the dog pictures. :)

I know right! This is a happy feelz thread :love:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    So jealous of the very cute dogs on here. I'd love to have one to take for walks/runs.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Love all the pictures of your doggie friends
    Here's mine Khan the chow chow
    He's pretty lazy and I often have to wake him to walk but , he is definitely my walking buddy and we clock up the steps together easily.
    Having him doesn't make me more active but I want him to be healthy so I walk him and me at the same time
    ok3p69rx4l21.jpeg
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For me it does... I have a fitness tracker and my health insurance plan gives me $1.00 towards an Amazon gift card every day I meet my daily goals. If I am falling short of steps from the gym or because I was stationary that day because of work, I take my dog for a long walk and I get my steps done that way. It gives another excuse to get out there and just move.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Totally, my furry alarm clock makes sure we get up to exercise, and she is always there to finish off some of the calories I am eating. Blue heelers are the most loyal dogs I have ever seen, but be warned they can be a one person dog, (as my girl Delilah is). She was a rescue dog and I honestly would have 5 more if they were like her.

e59rgz0wdk10.jpg
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    brrrycicle wrote: »
    Got a pug puppy last summer and living in a second-floor apartment, I climb the stairs A LOT now to let her go potty and to take her for walks. I at least try to do one lap with her around the park a day (0.5 miles). Helps that the park is just across the street. She's definitely been a blessing to my weight loss journey, and she's stinking cute to boot!

32lrb7mf6fv8.jpg
    Ha pugsare Awsome but not great cardio buddys.
    My pug cant walk aroundthe block without snorting n struggling to breathe for the next hour.
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    CAUTION RE OVER WALKING PUPPIES

I have dogs and do walk them every day that the weather permits, so I am in agreement that dogs help keep us active. This article references some studies drawing the same conclusion:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/forget-the-treadmill-get-a-dog/

However, one must be careful about over walking dogs, especially puppies whose growth plates are still not closed. Forced exercise, which would include walks and too much fetching, running with adult dogs, etc., can lead to arthritis and joint problems later on. A comfortable gait for you might not be a comfortable gait for a dog, and pounding pavement is can be rough on growing joints. A good amount of exercise for you might be too much for a still growing puppy. I would ask your vet for recommendations for your particular dog, as activity restrictions will vary somewhat by breed/structure.