Suggestion for DVD that will not cause knee pain?

Options
Isabelle_1929
Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Could someone suggest a workout DVD that I could use and that does not create knee pain?

For the very first time of my life (I am 45), I have knee pain. I started the "30 days shred" 10 days ago and my knees hurt so bad, I almost fell on the ground today. I had to go down a few stairs in the subway and had to hold my tears. I almost called for help.

I can't believe this.

Both knees hurt equally, at the back, front, above and below the knees. I did not "fell" or "cracked" anything. It just started by being a little sore - of course, it's exercise - but after 7 days or say, my knees were not only painful, but extremely stiff.

A little background: I have always walked a lot - I never owned a car. I snob elevators. I played tennis a bit when I was younger, and badminton, Of course I have always used my bike in the summer, I did cross country skiing, and ice skating once on while. I have done some elliptical / stationary bike over the years, etc. Heck - I used to jog four times / one hour per week, up to running a half marathon! I am not a "sporty" person, but I am reasonably active.

So, have I experienced knee pain? Never ! In fact, I never had a single muscle / joint issue that required treatment or that lasted more than a couple of days.

I have no idea what exercise on the DVD (level one) caused this.

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to give you an idea of what I CAN do, and what I should avoid.

So now I must work out, so I must find something suitable.

What I need:

Something EASY to follow. I have zero coordination and HATE dancing with a passion. So no choreography. (I loved J Michaels for that: it seemed perfect, plain and simple. This is really too bad I have to give it up.) I don't mind if it's boring.

And yes, I must do it at home.

Any suggestion?

TIA!

Replies

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender videos on YouTube have some good low impact options. If you type fitness blender low impact into a search on YouTube you might find some good options.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Options
    Fitness blender videos on YouTube have some good low impact options. If you type fitness blender low impact into a search on YouTube you might find some good options.

Thanks. When you say "low impact", what do you mean? No strain on the knees?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You should be seeking advice from an orthopedist and/or physical therapist.
  • Isabelle_1929
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You should be seeking advice from an orthopedist and/or physical therapist.

You are right ... but I cannot afford one in private clinic, and in the public system, it's covered if you are injured and require treatments.

I will not take any chances though ! I will stick with running / cycling / stairs climbing for exercising my legs, unless I get a good recommendation.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is famous for causing knee issues. There are 2 possible reasons for your knee pain.

1. High impact cardio. High impact means both feet leave the ground. Your knees can take a beating. I'm over 50, so I look for low impact cardio - Leslie Sansone for example. A higher intensity, but lower impact is step aerobics. Older people need lower steps (mine is 4"), so this isn't zero impact either. Look for Jenny Ford.

2. Squats & lunges. For me the moving (forward) lunges are murder. I'm not real coordinated, so I avoid these. I can do squats & regular lunges but I need to focus on form. Keep a chair handy and use that to keep you steady if needed. Many people injure themselves with incorrect form. For this reason, I will keep cardio & strength training as separate workouts, nothing labeled circuit training. Kelly Coffey Meyer is my favorite. Collagevideo.com gives reviews that tell you the impact level for everything.

Preventative & maintenance (of sorts). Stay away from squats for several days. When you come back, do it slowly to focus on form. Find a lower body workout on Fitness Blender. You may eventually move onto higher impact cardio BUT, you may find yourself trading off low & high impact days. Stretching is important. It may be more important for you than other people. I do yoga at least once a week, and add stretches to the end of daily workouts. This keeps things in check.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    30 Day Shred is famous for causing knee issues. There are 2 possible reasons for your knee pain.

1. High impact cardio. High impact means both feet leave the ground. Your knees can take a beating. I'm over 50, so I look for low impact cardio - Leslie Sansone for example. A higher intensity, but lower impact is step aerobics. Older people need lower steps (mine is 4"), so this isn't zero impact either. Look for Jenny Ford.

2. Squats & lunges. For me the moving (forward) lunges are murder. I'm not real coordinated, so I avoid these. I can do squats & regular lunges but I need to focus on form. Keep a chair handy and use that to keep you steady if needed. Many people injure themselves with incorrect form. For this reason, I will keep cardio & strength training as separate workouts, nothing labeled circuit training. Kelly Coffey Meyer is my favorite. Collagevideo.com gives reviews that tell you the impact level for everything.

Preventative & maintenance (of sorts). Stay away from squats for several days. When you come back, do it slowly to focus on form. Find a lower body workout on Fitness Blender. You may eventually move onto higher impact cardio BUT, you may find yourself trading off low & high impact days. Stretching is important. It may be more important for you than other people. I do yoga at least once a week, and add stretches to the end of daily workouts. This keeps things in check.

Thank you.

The more I think about it, it seems likely that the squats caused the problem. This is the only "move" that I am not used to.

No more squats until knees are good. And I like your idea of doing cardio and strength separately, so I could focus more on the moves.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen after 6 days of 30 Day Shred. I'd done 3 months of Beachbody T25 and didn't have the pain I had in 6 days of 30DS. I'm 61. I'm doing a 3 month DVD now called XTF Max. It has a different workout each day and has leg day, arm day, core day and so on. It's s nice variety. I have a bad foot so can't bend it to do a lunge. I do squats instead. Watch your knees on those however and avoid them for a few weeks till the pain is gone.

I got into weights after my foot injury (bunion) and enjoyed Body Beast a ton. I used a stationary bike to get my cardio in doing Body Beast. Once my foot was less painful I did 30ds then XTFMax. Slower and lower key but is a nice contrast. I'll try p90x3 next.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen after 6 days of 30 Day Shred. I'd done 3 months of Beachbody T25 and didn't have the pain I had in 6 days of 30DS. I'm 61. I'm doing a 3 month DVD now called XTF Max. It has a different workout each day and has leg day, arm day, core day and so on. It's s nice variety. I have a bad foot so can't bend it to do a lunge. I do squats instead. Watch your knees on those however and avoid them for a few weeks till the pain is gone.

I got into weights after my foot injury (bunion) and enjoyed Body Beast a ton. I used a stationary bike to get my cardio in doing Body Beast. Once my foot was less painful I did 30ds then XTFMax. Slower and lower key but is a nice contrast. I'll try p90x3 next.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look those up.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If/when you do squats and lunges, make sure your knee does not go out past your ankle. If you keep them lined up, it helps keep your knees from hurting.

I am currently doing Chalean Extreme. It focuses on free weights, but she is very good about instructing for form.

You could also try Pilates or a ballet-inspired workout. They tend to require straight legs and are surprisingly good workouts for very small movements.