17 day diet

Options

Replies

• RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oooo, 17 day diet, I remember thee!

@chrisbcats I have done the 17 day diet three times. The first time, I lost weight but then I fell of the wagon because I had major exams coming up (GCSEs) so I ate too much due to stress.

The second time I went to give blood and was told I couldn't because my iron levels were too low. I went to the doctor, convinced there was something wrong because I was eating healthy, diet food, it couldn't have been my diet causing low iron levels. I was referred to the hospital and asked to take along a food diary. Turns out I was anaemic because my diet was awful and was prescribed high-dose iron pills.

The third time, I got so hungry and weak, I passed out in the middle of a corridor in college and scared everyone around me. All three times, I lost weight.

The 17 day diet does not work. Any weight loss is temporary and may cost your health. It took me three attempts to learn that one, along with a HUGE number of other fads. I know count calories and I can sustain this long term, unlike anything else ever. I am off all supplements and pills I needed to fix the damage caused by poor diets and have more energy than I have had in years.

The 17 day diet is, at best, snake oil. At worst, you'll do yourself some real damage.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You are determined to follow a foolish plan that your previous experiences show is not sustainable. You don't want to hear reason, only affirmation of your chosen plan to follow a foolish plan.

Hopefully somebody who is willing to listen to fact, logic and sense sees the comments here and takes a wise path ... unlike your choice.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    chrisbcats wrote: »
    This thread was started for those interested in starting the 17 day diet, not for you MFP experts in weight loss.

I will let you MFP experts whom decides the means for weight loss for all users have this topic. You can support each other by sharing your calorie counting ideas

So why joining a weight loss counting site like MFP? Dont the "17 day diet" have their own buzzing succesful site with community...when it works so good you would say you will find lots of friends and supporters there.

And when it works so good...why do you have to do it again?

95069916.png
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    for you MFP experts in weight loss.

I will let you MFP experts

Your words, you said experts in weight loss and the success stories here are testament to that so why is the advice of experts so hard to accept?

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I do the CICO diet. It's been the only thing that has ever been proven to work.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You came to a community full of people who use calorie counting as a lifestyle and asked who was following a fad diet that you yourself have previously tried and failed at. What exactly were you expecting in the way of reaction?

Look, you might lose weight on this plan- it's very restrictive and that will probably create a calorie deficit while you are following. But do you really, really in your heart of hearts believe that today marks day one of *thirty to fifty years* of you eating in 17 day cycles of this plan? Because that's what an effective weight loss and maintenance plan looks like. There are infinite dangerous, uncomfortable, and difficult ways of eating that will cause weight loss while you follow them. This may well be one of them. Maybe you'll even be luckier than than the poster above and *not* develop a nutritional deficiency in the process.

But will you do it forever? Because if not- if like last time, and like the overwhelming majority of people who adopt restrictive fad diets, you stop following it at some point, and you *haven't* learned to make reasonable food choices in the real world or figure out what is and is not an appropriate amount of food to fuel your body without gaining weight- the thing that happened after the first time you tried this diet- then you will just wind up back in the same boat.

You can be as angry as you want about being told that, but it's true. There is nothing about human physiology that requires this diet to lose weight (hence the hundreds of success stories on this site from people who lost without it) and there is ample evidence including your own experience that highly restrictive diet plans have low long-term compliance. So you might lose weight during this 17 days... but it's likely to be back before you know it.

Why not skip all that misery and stress and learn how to eat a balanced diet that you, specifically, enjoy- one that allows for real life, other peoples' cooking, celebrations, holidays, your favorite treats- and learn how to track it and your energy expenditure so you can lose and maintain your weight forever? Learn how to eat so that a vacation or a birthday cake doesn't become a point of conflict or struggle, so you don't have to stop cooking the meals you enjoy or worry about social events, and you no longer have to worry about what phase you're in or what foods are allowed this week.

Nobody here is on a high horse. Most of us have tried fad and category-restrictive diets in the past. That's why we're telling you that you could see more sustainable results with CICO and some real nutrition study.

I realize we're unlikely to convince you, since you're bound and determined that this is a good idea, but hopefully people googling 17 day diet and finding this page will have some food for thought.

Unless that's another thing not allowed during the first 17 day phase.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You came to a community full of people who use calorie counting as a lifestyle and asked who was following a fad diet that you yourself have previously tried and failed at. What exactly were you expecting in the way of reaction?

Look, you might lose weight on this plan- it's very restrictive and that will probably create a calorie deficit while you are following. But do you really, really in your heart of hearts believe that today marks day one of *thirty to fifty years* of you eating in 17 day cycles of this plan? Because that's what an effective weight loss and maintenance plan looks like. There are infinite dangerous, uncomfortable, and difficult ways of eating that will cause weight loss while you follow them. This may well be one of them. Maybe you'll even be luckier than than the poster above and *not* develop a nutritional deficiency in the process.

But will you do it forever? Because if not- if like last time, and like the overwhelming majority of people who adopt restrictive fad diets, you stop following it at some point, and you *haven't* learned to make reasonable food choices in the real world or figure out what is and is not an appropriate amount of food to fuel your body without gaining weight- the thing that happened after the first time you tried this diet- then you will just wind up back in the same boat.

You can be as angry as you want about being told that, but it's true. There is nothing about human physiology that requires this diet to lose weight (hence the hundreds of success stories on this site from people who lost without it) and there is ample evidence including your own experience that highly restrictive diet plans have low long-term compliance. So you might lose weight during this 17 days... but it's likely to be back before you know it.

Why not skip all that misery and stress and learn how to eat a balanced diet that you, specifically, enjoy- one that allows for real life, other peoples' cooking, celebrations, holidays, your favorite treats- and learn how to track it and your energy expenditure so you can lose and maintain your weight forever? Learn how to eat so that a vacation or a birthday cake doesn't become a point of conflict or struggle, so you don't have to stop cooking the meals you enjoy or worry about social events, and you no longer have to worry about what phase you're in or what foods are allowed this week.

Nobody here is on a high horse. Most of us have tried fad and category-restrictive diets in the past. That's why we're telling you that you could see more sustainable results with CICO and some real nutrition study.

I realize we're unlikely to convince you, since you're bound and determined that this is a good idea, but hopefully people googling 17 day diet and finding this page will have some food for thought.

Unless that's another thing not allowed during the first 17 day phase.

Very well thought out response, I like that you summed up how most of us feel and why we're here...but all she wanted to know was: who's in? ;) We can't change that, but maybe you have convinced others who might think it's a good idea to think twice.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check in on Day 18!
  • aliciajoane
    aliciajoane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with you
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    @chrisbcats I did the 17 days diet in 2010 and read most of the book. I can say from experience that it works!! I was losing weight quickly. I just fell off the wagon and didn't follow through all the phases so that's why I gained my weight back and thinking about starting over again! Good luck and dong listen to people who don't know this plan or haven't read the book.

So to cut a long story short you lost a bit of weight but all this nonsense wasn't sustainable and now you're here. But rather than admit that you didn't reach goal weight and got nowhere near maintenance, you would rather still promote it as something that works. Makes sense.........

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This thread was started for those interested in starting the 17 day diet, not for you MFP experts in weight loss.

I will let you MFP experts whom decides the means for weight loss for all users have this topic. You can support each other by sharing your calorie counting ideas

This forum is open to everyone--you can't control the posting. There are alot of "lurkers" out there who watch, but don't post. This "expert" advice is for them, so they don't fall into the trap. Some people have to make their own mistakes--they don't listen to good advice. That's OK, for you, but we're protecting others that might want to try this diet.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Just had to applaud this particular part of your post - it's sad to me that people who are on strict dieting regimens fear holidays, vacations and other pleasurable events in life. What a waste.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    @chrisbcats I did the 17 days diet in 2010 and read most of the book. I can say from experience that it works!! I was losing weight quickly. I just fell off the wagon and didn't follow through all the phases so that's why I gained my weight back and thinking about starting over again! Good luck and dong listen to people who don't know this plan or haven't read the book.

Thanks I've done the diet several years ago too. It does work. The people here have no idea on what this diet is. They read diet and automatically *kitten*-ume. Well, I've counted calories, and I prefer this method to loose weight.

One day down, only a lifetime to go. Good luck on your journey. Message me if you decide to restart the diet. I would love to chat with people who actually know about the diet.

Clearly it does not work.. Or you would not be restarting it, no matter what falling off the wagon excuse you have. It is a diet that teaches nothing about portion control and demonizes food groups. But hey, if you're okay with yo-yoing for a lifetime, more power to you.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Just had to applaud this particular part of your post - it's sad to me that people who are on strict dieting regimens fear holidays, vacations and other pleasurable events in life. What a waste.

Christmas Eve is a huge feast in my family. The biggest food day by far. My sister-in-law, whom I love dearly but who is the Queen of Woo, was doing Isagenix and whatever stage she was in on Christmas Eve, she was only "allowed" to have a piece of salmon and some asparagus. So much delicious food (that she made, btw) on the table and she had to pass on most of it. So unnecessary.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Christmas Eve is a huge feast in my family. The biggest food day by far. My sister-in-law, whom I love dearly but who is the Queen of Woo, was doing Isagenix and whatever stage she was in on Christmas Eve, she was only "allowed" to have a piece of salmon and some asparagus. So much delicious food (that she made, btw) on the table and she had to pass on most of it. So unnecessary.

I hear ya. My SIL came to the dad's 80th birthday celebration with announcements that she was doing Whole30. She couldn't have this, or that, or this, no alcohol thanks, no bread, God forbid a slice of birthday cake. I'm not sure which was more tiresome: the avoidance of perfectly good food, or the incessant talking about it. :#

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

I hear ya. My SIL came to the dad's 80th birthday celebration with announcements that she was doing Whole30. She couldn't have this, or that, or this, no alcohol thanks, no bread, God forbid a slice of birthday cake. I'm not sure which was more tiresome: the avoidance of perfectly good food, or the incessant talking about it. :#

Right there with ya! I have a friend who's lost a ton of weight severely restricting. She doesn't intend to eat that way forever and I'm not going to start the conversation of "what do you think is going to happen when you start to eat normally again?" As she lost the weight, she became the expert in everything. I needed to do her workouts, workout first thing in the morning, do her woe. Never mind I lost over 85 pounds (25 since I've known her) not restricting my diet and working out after work and never doing a Boot Camp class. But I don't talk about it--I just do. Shrug.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The question was who was with me? Not against me.
    Everyone needs to educate themselves before becoming experts on the 17 day diet. Mostly everyone who commented have never heard of the diet until today and are just going by the title. If you are guilty of this, Google is your friend. Or better yet download the book and see for yourself it isn't a fad, it is a lifestyle change completed in 17 day increments.

I read "detox" "cleanse" "boost/retrain metabolism" all associated with this diet. That educates me perfectly on exactly what to think about it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just because you can google something doesn't make it true. This plan is ridiculous and unsustainable. Lots of woo.
  • law102189
    law102189 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Right there with ya! I have a friend who's lost a ton of weight severely restricting. She doesn't intend to eat that way forever and I'm not going to start the conversation of "what do you think is going to happen when you start to eat normally again?" As she lost the weight, she became the expert in everything. I needed to do her workouts, workout first thing in the morning, do her woe. Never mind I lost over 85 pounds (25 since I've known her) not restricting my diet and working out after work and never doing a Boot Camp class. But I don't talk about it--I just do. Shrug.

LOL. I've been that person. Glad my friends and family still love me. :) I realized that I love food too much to give anything up forever, but I can control portion size and calorie intake. You can have your cake and it it too- just in moderation. MFP has really helped me to embrace this without feeling guilty because it doesn't feel like I am dieting.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    law102189 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

LOL. I've been that person. Glad my friends and family still love me. :) I realized that I love food too much to give anything up forever, but I can control portion size and calorie intake. You can have your cake and it it too- just in moderation. MFP has really helped me to embrace this without feeling guilty because it doesn't feel like I am dieting.

Me too! The thought that I don't have to restrict or cut out foods that I love makes this so easy and sustainable!