yay!!!

Options
My name is claudia im 19 and im having trouble with gaining weight im only 83lb and im not happy :(

Replies

• kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Simple! Eat more food. Find your caloric maintenance and surplus it by a few hundred. If you go under your maintenance than you loose weight. Get yourself a food scale and a body scale. Weigh yourself every few days too twice a week. Eat more rice and pasta. You can use this app to recommend a caloric intake for yourself and start from there. If it's hard for you to eat the calories recommended than use the food scale to confirm your daily intake.
  • ClaudiaRamirez6945
    Options
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    Simple! Eat more food. Find your caloric maintenance and surplus it by a few hundred. If you go under your maintenance than you loose weight. Get yourself a food scale and a body scale. Weigh yourself every few days too twice a week. Eat more rice and pasta. You can use this app to recommend a caloric intake for yourself and start from there. If it's hard for you to eat the calories recommended than use the food scale to confirm your daily intake.

thank you!! this is good advice, i will try to eat more every day and i love rice & pasta so thats a good start
  • trilldiced
    trilldiced Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yooooo i understand you, gaining weight is a hard thing. I don't know if I fall in the same category as you in why it's difficult for you to gain weight. But in my case, eating whole foods was not enough for me to gain weight, the whole process ( from buying the food to actually swallowing the food)

I started off with a routine like such

Eating no matter what 4 x a day whole foods, wether small or large amounts
    Post meal and in between meals
    - ensure plus 350 calorie
    - milk when possible
    - And SERIOUS MASS CHOCLATE 2 scoops thru out the day

Hope this helps in some way
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    trilldiced wrote: »

Pre-made mass gainers are a waste of money, you're better off just getting protein powder and making a shake with peanut butter and sources of carbs(chocolate syrup, pancake syrup, chocolate chips, oats, fruit, etc.)
  • trilldiced
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pre made mass gainers are a waste of money? That is your perspective

If your money conscious and have the time to do all that syrup and high calorie mix up with protein than your solid.

But in my own opinion for someone who is trying to gain weight, make the process easy for your self and convenient.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Start off by simply keeping a record of what you eat on a normal day, for one week.

Now you can work out your average daily calories.

Next step is to increase your average daily calories by 200. If you don't gain a bit of weight after 1 week, increase by a further 200 until you're gaining.

Keep things simple.
  • trilldiced
    Options
    good advice
    -patient and highly disciplined

Well said PBRYD
  • ClaudiaRamirez6945
    ClaudiaRamirez6945 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    trilldiced wrote: »
    Yooooo i understand you, gaining weight is a hard thing. I don't know if I fall in the same category as you in why it's difficult for you to gain weight. But in my case, eating whole foods was not enough for me to gain weight, the whole process ( from buying the food to actually swallowing the food)

I started off with a routine like such

Eating no matter what 4 x a day whole foods, wether small or large amounts
    Post meal and in between meals
    - ensure plus 350 calorie
    - milk when possible

Hope this helps in some way

• ClaudiaRamirez6945
    ClaudiaRamirez6945 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I m seriously going to try this i mean i eat and eat and wont gain not even one pound i actially loose a poung wtf and thank yoU.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Everyone is giving the advice to eat more without actually explaining how much you need to eat. The below will provide a clear, concise, and measurable goal that you can determine if you are following it or not. I wrote this to someone else previously, but I think you would benefit from reading this:
    First off, find out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Go on google, put in your age, sex, weight, height, and activity level. This is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat +500 calories a week for 1lb /week of weight gain. That is probably too hard, so I recommend aiming for +250 calories over your TDEE for 0.5lb / week of weight gain. Track everything you put in your mouth with a food scale and a my fitness pal account. You NEED to find high caloric foods that are easy to eat. Examples are:

-Spreadables: Peanut butter, nutella, those flavored peanut butter spreads, etc.
    -Liquid: Whole Milk, Olive oil (filled with healthy fats but lots of calories per tablespoon... I used to just take shots when I was underweight and needed more calories before bed).
    -Shakes: I used to make shakes with whole fat milk, olive oil, chocolate protein, peanut butter, bananas, etc. If you don't mind 'dirty' foods, add in ice cream too! You can easily make 1000 calorie shakes if you want!

If you are OK with it, you can 'dirty bulk' meaning having high calorie foods that are not exactly known for being healthy. So things like fast food, ice cream, pizza, whatever. If you don't want that, stick to the things I listed above.

Cheers!

Edit: Just a reminder to track your calories - underweight people overestimate how much they are eating, and overweight people underestimate it. Tracking what you eat will be a full time job, but you need to do it for at least 3 weeks until you have an idea of how much you should eat daily. 3 weeks is what it takes to build a habit / make it routine. GOOD LUCK! +250lbs each day for a gain of .5lbs per week is good, consistent progress. Aim too high and you will quit the next day.

If you measure yourself weekly, you should see a general trend of +.5 to +1lb per week. Do this, in conjunction with resistance training (i.e. not just cardio), and you will gain weight with some nice muscle too!