Cheat or Treat?

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    Not to be a debbie-downer, but we're not dogs - we shouldn't be rewarded with food.

Why?

I think it's actually a fair point. I'm sure that's how more than one of us gained the weight to begin with.

I didn't say to use food as a constant reward. I said pre planned & controlled. Nothing wrong with that. Pre planned and controlled food choices are NOT how most of us gained weight!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Not to be a debbie-downer, but we're not dogs - we shouldn't be rewarded with food.

Why?

I think it's actually a fair point. I'm sure that's how more than one of us gained the weight to begin with.

I think the weigh may have been gained, for some, when treats became everyday occurrences, instead of once a week or month they are meant to be.

Just my interpretation of a treat.

Cheers, h.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I don't label them.

Everything is just part of a well rounded, flexible and balanced dietary intake.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Its just food fitting into my normal day. I like food which is how I gained weight, now I have portion control and am losing. I eat what I want (except now its Lent and I gave up cake, biscuits and chocolate bars!) x
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,027 Member
    Options

Why not?

I like food and I like rewarding myself with treat food.

In sensible portions of course, not 20 family size pizzas.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

This comment puzzles me a little bit... Who even talked about reward? I'm not rewarding myself with food, I just enjoy tasty food so I have some.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Thanks people! It's great to see everyone's thoughts.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Funny but my mother, sister and I had this "discussion" just yesterday.

We are planning the easter weekend menu, and I usually do the turkey and all the mains, with my mother contributing dessert and my sister brings the wine. Ma says, what do you want for dessert? and both my sister and I say "cherry cheesecake!" My mother then says "no, you really dont". We say "Yes - we do!" So my mother obviously views the cherry cheesecake as a cheat for us both, while my sister and I view it entirely as a treat, one for which we shall plan so that it fits into our allottments. The distinction I think is that old crippler, guilt. My mother would feel guilty about the cheesecake, while sis and I would enjoy it. I told my mother I was not going to live my whole life without ever having her cherry cheesecake again, so she has relented, and will bring the required dessert. If she didnt, I would be obliged to make it myself!!!
  • lorrpb
    Options
    Enjoy the cheesecake, in moderation!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I call it breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch or a snack.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I don't call it either because I eat pretty much what I want every day and log it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options

Why?

I think the weigh may have been gained, for some, when treats became everyday occurrences, instead of once a week or month they are meant to be.

Just my interpretation of a treat.

Cheers, h.

Indeed. I used to buy myself a "treat" (say, hunk of carrot cake) when I went to the grocery store, or a rich dessert because I was eating at a restaurant with friends. Those are not special occasions - they happen a lot. That (and being awful at portion control ;) ) is how I got fat.

To the more general question: I don't really ever think of it as a cheat (never made sense to me: cheat who or what?), and only occasionally might think of something as a treat.

I have a calorie goal (even heading into maintenance). Sometimes I go over it. Occasionally, I go waaaaaay over it. As long as this is quite rare, and I find a way to fit it into the larger scheme of things, everything will be just fine. I don't necessarily need to have a word for it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Thanks, that is exactly my plan! I cant remember when I last had it - probably some holiday in the distant past. Probably last Thanksgiving. Anyway, Today is March 1st, so Cheesecake Day is 26 days away - plenty of time to save up some calories for my treat!
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the "cheat" concept either. There's no way you can actually cheat your body. Even if you don't log it or if it takes you way over your calories, your body isn't fooled. It knows exactly how much you ate and will either expend or store the energy regardless.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Thanks, that is exactly my plan! I cant remember when I last had it - probably some holiday in the distant past. Probably last Thanksgiving. Anyway, Today is March 1st, so Cheesecake Day is 26 days away - plenty of time to save up some calories for my treat!

That's one benefit of fasting on Good Friday! Since I do (for religious reasons), I never worry about Easter calories at all.