Vegan, 40 pounds to lose, 39 years old, loves exercise but has hip bursitis, single mom, SoCal

Hi everyone!

I've lurked on MFP for awhile now but have actually been gaining weight (not sticking to calorie limits) and so I decided it was time to reach out for friends and support!

I have been vegetarian since I was 14 years old... That makes 25 years! Since January of this year I have been vegan. I hope to stay that way!

A long time ago, I weighed 275 pounds. I then lost 116 of them via exercise alone (alternated days of heavy lifting (5x5 program) and an hour of cardio). I kept it off for over a decade until I came down with sciatica/hip bursitis issues in 2014. I had to stop working out - the pain was so bad.

Since then, I have gained 40 pounds. I am in my worst shape in over 15 years. I have never been one to eat a little, that is why hard exercise was so great for me... I was able to work off all the calories. So, needless to say, this MFP is a little hard for me. :( I am now trying to find ways to work on my overeating. It isn't easy, especially since I am a stress eater and I can no longer work out to alleviate the stress.

I am the single mama to an awesome 12 year old. We just moved to Orange County, California, and although it has been quite the adjustment, we do love it here!

I just started yoga last year and although I still have a hard time with a lot of the poses, I really love it. I also love hiking, but that slowed down after the hip problems started.

I am looking for friends that fit any/all of the above categories. If you understand where I am coming from on any of these accounts, please send me a friend request!!!

Namaste. :)

Replies

• Resonate_
    Resonate_ Posts: 78 Member
    Hi there, Ive just read your post, what stood out to me was that your a vegan!! well your on the mission to become one which is great.
    I've just made MFP acc although I had one on here years ago, anyway I recently made the transition into plant based diet.. and hopefully in the future will become somewhat vegan in foods lifestyle etc.. Its admirable what your doing and in terms of stress, food related.. maybe change of moods to deviate you away from over eating, uplifting activities such as the yoga your doing.. Maybe outdoor runs?, join a dance class. Anyway just a friendly hello to a fellow Veg! lol
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    I've been plant based for 3 years, I still have to work at keeping my calories down, I have always loved to cook/bake and eat ;) I'm an avid hiker / snowshoer :)

What kind of exercise can you comfortably do? Swimming? biking? lots of great resources out there for plant based eating...no meat athlete, happy herbivore ....
  • boaorhat77
    boaorhat77 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, you guys!

Resonate_, good luck with the plant based diet! We can do this together!!! Thanks for the suggestions, a dance class sounds FUN.

Tennileb, I can't cycle (it hurts my hip) but swimming is something I need to investigate. The problem is my life schedule doesn't allow me time to get to a pool (the gyms near me don't have one and I would have to drive to get to one).

I am very familiar with happy herbivore! :) But haven't heard of the no meat athlete. I will check it out.
  • anthony120576
    anthony120576 Posts: 33 Member
    I wish you the best! If you want to friend me, we can support each other
  • boaorhat77
    boaorhat77 Posts: 11 Member
    I wish you the best! If you want to friend me, we can support each other

Thank you! I just sent the request! :)
  • stephaniebanana
    stephaniebanana Posts: 2 Member
    I've been a vegan since last year, and I became a vegetarian when I was 12. No meat athlete is definitely great. I got a lot of inspiration from reading Thrive by Brendan Brazier. Thrive Fitness and The Thrive Energy Cookbook are also great! I still have some weight to loose, and I'm having a hard time exercising because of Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot. My Fitness pal has definitely helped me to be more mindful about food.
  • Gogohobbs
    Gogohobbs Posts: 31 Member
    I've had sciatica for 7 months. Got my first nerve blocks on L5 and S1 Monday.
    Excruciating pain and very hard to deal with. Looking for any help..
    Add me
  • amarie2222
    amarie2222 Posts: 4 Member
    Vegan mom of a 3 month old here, would love other vegan/mom friends!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Hi guys! I'm loving this thread! Fellow vegan weight lifter here.
    Weight loss is something I struggle with as I had my thyroid removed and even though I am on medication my body is being a stubborn you know what.
    I have a labral hip tear, had to give up running and plantar facilitis which is annoying as all hell BUT with a little help from our friends we can get this done