It would be so easy to be negative right now...

Options
Yesterday, I left my job of eight years, working as a church secretary an an idyllic little parish in the woods. I liked my co-workers, I liked my job. I decided to leave a month ago because my daughter is sick and can't be alone and because once we have here healthy again, I want to start an organic, bread bakery.
I made a real effort to leave the church in a better situation than I found it. The office was organized, I spent my entire last month writing a procedures book, documenting every aspect of the job, I was positive, prayerful and proactive. I gave a month's notice and was honest about my reasons for living.
For the last two weeks, my boss barely spoke to me, being direct and curt when he needed something. It was a very different change from the usual playful, fun environment of the office and other's noticed as well.
For my last day, I went to lunch with some co-workers when the 'goodbye party' my boss suggested didn't materialize. When I came back and saw my boss leaving without even saying goodbye it hurt and last night I felt it acutely.
But then I realized why I left this position.
I have a life to live.
My husband and I have both suffered serious illnesses in the past two years, my daughter is currently fighting a migraine tougher than any I've ever seen, my son is starting the college search and is stuck between being a kid and a grown up and needs guidance more than ever. I took this GIANT leap of faith primarily to help my family have what we've been calling 'the summer of health'. I left because my children and my husband need me, and I need to take better care of myself, and I have bread to bake. (Not today, it's already over 80 degrees and 60% humidity - there will be no fresh bread today, I fear!)

So, there is nothing negative in that. Yesterday, my eating was derailed because of stress, sadness and sweets. Today I'm back on track. I've tested my blood (I'm diabetic) and everything is good. I have a summer with my kids and there is no turning back so I'm going to go tackle my day, making good choices,

I made the right choice for the right reasons, and what else matters.

Replies

• NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have a life to live.
    I left because my children and my husband need me, and I need to take better care of myself

So, there is nothing negative in that.
    I'm going to go tackle my day, making good choices,

I made the right choice for the right reasons, and what else matters.

BAM. Nothing negative in being there for your family and knowing you made that choice for the right reasons :)

I don't have much to say that is helpful but I applaud you.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Your boss might not be happy for that but you did the right thing, as sad it would not be. You need to be there for your family and you are. Respect from me for that.
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being true to your needs and your family's needs right now. Churches are funny places. We're supposed to be about being the body of Christ, but too often we are the most sinful ones and we show our "clay feet" to the world. We also don't treat one another very well. I wish it wasn't true, but it often is. Hopefully, when your boss has some distance, he will apologize for his behavior. But if he doesn't, you sound like you've been as helpful and as efficient as you can be. You've left with integrity. You've been honest and fair. That is all you can do - your best.

Blessings on your new life and your intentional work on family!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am going to approach this a bit differently. BRAVO for realizing that you, your children and family need to find a better way to live. I admire your courage to step away and move into a different adventure!. Now about your boss....What I see is a fella who is having trouble expressing his feelings ( and or grief) at losing you. Many people cannot express and use anger or avoidance to try and not hurt over something they care deeply about. Offer up prayer for his feelings and move forward with what you have discovered is important. Your positive attitude and energy will carry you as you explore things... Hang in there!!
  • Kattim1269
    Options
    We're supposed to be about being the body of Christ, but too often we are the most sinful ones and we show our "clay feet" to the world. We also don't treat one another very well. I wish it wasn't true, but it often is.
    Now about your boss....What I see is a fella who is having trouble expressing his feelings ( and or grief) at losing you. Many people cannot express and use anger or avoidance to try and not hurt over something they care deeply about. Offer up prayer for his feelings and move forward with what you have discovered is important. Your positive attitude and energy will carry you as you explore things

These two summed it up! Good luck on your new adventure.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    sorry your boss (or - former boss) is being such a doofus. Please don't let him bring you down!

Good for your for taking the time to focus on your family - that is what's important in the end:flowerforyou: