Eating back only 1/4 of my exercise calories?

Options
I started running stairs (and walking down) and could only do two or three minutes at a time. I can now do 24 minutes at a time AND I alternate using 2 x 1kg (first couple of minutes) and 2 x 0.5kg ankle weights (for the remainder).

Even though I am consistently increasing the time I spend running/walking, I no longer get as tired as I got in the very beginning.

I want to benefit from the exercise calories, but I reckon it's no longer appropriate to eat back a full 50% of it.

I'm thinking of eating back 25% to 33% of it. Does anyone else do this? My other option would probably be to find a different exercise routine as I'm fast approaching an hour a day for the stairs.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    If your weight goal is on target keep your calories as they are.
    There is no benefit to cutting them just because you are not tired.
    What other exercises are you doing?
    Cheers, h.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    I started running stairs (and walking down) and could only do two or three minutes at a time. I can now do 24 minutes at a time AND I alternate using 2 x 1kg (first couple of minutes) and 2 x 0.5kg ankle weights (for the remainder).

Even though I am consistently increasing the time I spend running/walking, I no longer get as tired as I got in the very beginning.

I want to benefit from the exercise calories, but I reckon it's no longer appropriate to eat back a full 50% of it.

I'm thinking of eating back 25% to 33% of it. Does anyone else do this? My other option would probably be to find a different exercise routine as I'm fast approaching an hour a day for the stairs.

I eat back 20% at most. First, because I am pretty sure that MFP over-estimates by 10-40% of any given exercise, and second, because I don't need more than that!

I ran 4.4 miles up and back down a mountain today, and logged ate back only 120 calories for it.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If your weight goal is on target keep your calories as they are.
    There is no benefit to cutting them just because you are not tired.
    What other exercises are you doing?
    Cheers, h.

I do some light walking. I used to hike, but it's just so much more convenient to do the stair thing as I don't have to travel anywhere.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. :)