Want to Track How Far I Bike

Options
Hi! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get for tracking how far I bike and my heart rate? I know there are a ton of watches out there for running, but I didn't know if they would work for biking. Any suggestions? I don't have a Smart phone, so I can't download any sort of app.

Thanks!

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You can buy a heart rate monitor. That's the only way you're going to get heart rate results.

I have recently just purchased the Polar RCX5 (HRM), which has a GPS sensor with it. You can also buy bike sensors where you can attach to your bike to see your speeds etc. You can synchronise to your computer on their 'personal trainer' site and then you can see where you have been, how long it took you, how many calories burned, max heart rate etc. etc.

Apart from there being bike sensors available to buy, there are no real differences to whether or not you're going to use it as a running or cycling watch - a heart rate monitor is a heart rate monitor. It just depends what add-ons you have.

However, it is a little pricey. There are also the RC3 and RCX3 which are a little less expensive.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I use the Garmin 310xt for my running and biking. But any of the watches that do distance would work. My brother just uses an inexpensive cycle computer on his bike to get the time and the distance. I think it was around $20 and works just fine. I like the gps enable watches that keep track of the course. I look at the maps and all the other data when I upload it to my computer.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    An internet route mapping site such as mapmyrun (I think there's a ride one) will calculate distances. Regular hr checks to monitor your heart rate.

Or buy something.
  • swanke17
    swanke17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll start looking around at some watches...just not sure I want to spend that much! :/ It would be so much easier if I just had a smart phone.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    Try the Runtastic application apps. There's one for biking.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper to track the distance and calories burned. It will not calculate your heart rate though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any of the Garmin Forerunner series will track time, distance & HR. The model #s ending 10 use a different algorithm (HR based) for calculating calories expended. I'm currently using a 610 for both running & biking but have been looking at the 310xt as it's suitable for wearing while swimming too (and under $300 - I'd love a 910 but.......)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll start looking around at some watches...just not sure I want to spend that much! :/ It would be so much easier if I just had a smart phone.

If you're due an upgrade anyway, there are many benefits for little or no cost (depending on your current plan).
  • swanke17
    swanke17 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not due unti October, but that's the plan. So I may just hold off until then. Why purchase the watch if I have the smart phone....