Shoe question

Options
I started walking for exercise in October. I got some new shoes at the time and they are already worn out. I need to get some new ones but I want to get good shoes this time. I don't really run, but I have been thinking about working up to running some. I don't know if I should get running shoes or walking shoes. I know it is stupid, but I have always thought that all athletic shoes were the same. I walk outdoors at a park with a concrete sidewalk. It is pretty hilly and there is even one hill that has steps (Fitbit gives me 4 flights). My feet hurt a lot and I get blisters too so I want to make sure that I get the right type of shoe. I will mostly walk but if I get shoes that are strictly for walking and I decide to add in some running will that be bad? I live in a rural area and my only real options for shoes are Bealls (a chain department store) and Walmart. I sometimes order shoes on Amazon but I really want to try them on. I guess I really just want to know what type of shoes I should get. Walking, running or maybe cross trainers? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Try walking in a comfy pair of ordinary skateboard shoes. You can run short distances in them too. They have a flat heel, unlike most "walking shoes", cross trainers and running shoes, which have a raised heel, which prevents a smooth walking gait. :+1:
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Shoes definitely make a difference! I love my Asics- Gel Kahana 7. I'm overweight and I walk/ jog 3-5 miles a day. I walk on the treadmill, outdoor, and even indoor walking dvds. I also have plantar fasciitis. I'm not in any pain with my new shoes. Check out reviews on Amazon and see if your local department store carries them so you can try them on.
  • DebDesautels
    DebDesautels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I walk and run and have no issue doing either in running shoes. I've had great luck with New Balance shoes but it's really best if you can get to try them on and get some advice from someone who knows the product. Sounds like it might be tough to get to a running store for you but maybe do some research online. Zappos.com has great selections and easy returns - you could order a couple of pairs in different sizes and return the ones you don't want.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I've never tried Zappos. I didn't really think about ordering multiple sizes and keeping the one that worked. My son wears skateboard shoes. I may look at those. And I'll see if I can find the Asics. I do have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It is slowly getting better and I'm a little worried that new shoes will make it bad again. Do you wear orthotics in yours. And I'm pretty sure Bealls carries New Balance so I may see if they have some I can try on. I appreciate your help. This fitness stuff is all new for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    . I do have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It is slowly getting better and I'm a little worried that new shoes will make it bad again.

Arches are pretty resistant to change.. even a change for the better.. so new shoes might cause a flare-up. What you can do is start preparing your arches now by stretching them every hour or 2, and also stretch your calves. Here is how:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XsyIWz0okH0

If your arch still hurts from walking, stop and slip in orthotics if you have them, or a good insole like Superfeet or Powerstep (Ebay, Zappos). But only wear them if you're in pain, otherwise the arch can degenerate from a lack of movement, which in turn causes plantar fasciitis.

Keep us posted how it goes! :+1:
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went to the store where the runners go to get fitted and they put me in a size and a half larger than I thought I was. So ... I didn't know what I didn't know all those years I was buying shoes w/o expert advice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I like Ryka shoes (made specifically for women). Maybe their training shoes will work for you?
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    I wish I could go to a runner store. I don't know where the closest one would be. It would at least be an hour drive and possibly 2-3 hours away. I don't live near any real cities, just small towns under 5000 people.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @Cherimoose So it is ok to start out the new shoes without orthotics?
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Cherimoose So it is ok to start out the new shoes without orthotics?

Sure, unless a doctor told you otherwise. Just start with a very short walk (10-20% of your usual walks) and see how you feel the next day. If all goes well, add 10-20% to each subsequent walk, to give your feet time to adapt. If they start to hurt at some point, ease up on the walking and increase the stretching. :+1:
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used Zappos to find new balance that my feet loved. Sadly they changed the shoe when they came out with the new version :/ I still use new balance but I bought a pair of ebay because that's pretty much the only place I can find them anymore. I've returned so many pairs of shoes with Zappos, it's never ever been a hassle. I wear a 4E width which I've found are pretty hard to find.
  • CodyQuinlan
    CodyQuinlan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As a marathoner and cross trainer I would say go with a mimimal heel to toe drop show, get hoka one ones if you need support and cushion or get a pair of inov8 great for hiking my cross training and running