Binge eating

Options
magda2873
magda2873 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi i am new to myfitnesspal and decided to make an account because i had a binge eating episode just yesterday. I've been dealing with binge eating for almost a year now and although i thought i was done with it come the new year, ive binged a handful of times by now. At times i feel hopeless. A few friends and my family know of my disorder but still do not completely understand how hard it is to stop and just rid of the disorder. Ive read Brain Over Binge, watched countless youtube videos, and still have yet to overcome binge eating. I know what needs to be done but my brain gets the best of me and in just a span of an hour i'll consume well over 3,000 calories. I gained 30 lbs over the last year but thankfully have lost 20 and am at a happy weight right now. My goal is more so fixing my bad relationship with food then trying to lose more weight. I am happy with my weight, still want to tone up and definitely get more fit but right now i am in a good place because there is hope. There is hope because my body isn't that horrible at the moment (compared to when i weight 160 and felt so heavy and thick) so i don't feel too bad but know that if i keep binging i'll soon be that dreadful 160 again. Yesterday when i was binging i wanted to call someone so i hope next time i binge or feel the urge i can just go onto this app and hopefully being a part of this community will help me. Thank you for the opportunity

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I really wish you all the best in overcoming this. Sounds like you've done a lot of work and attempted many different ways to deal with it. Have you spoken with a professional? In my experience there are some things that simply need more than books and others who have been there.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A psychologist told me I could manage my binge eating by eating 3 healthy satisfying meals a day and having fruit for morning tea and afternoon tea. That way there wasn't long enough between meals to get too hungry. It really helped. Another program also advised me to include a wide variety of vegetables and grains in my food. These nourish the good microbes in your lower gut. Then they send a signal up your vagus nerve to your brain to say you are satisfied. Junk food doesn't satisfy those microbes so you can eat lots of it and still need more food. Enough sleep and some exercise can calm you so you are not eating out of stress. Another huge help is meditation. Let your breath float in and then, as you sigh it out, imagine tipping a bucket load of happiness all over yourself. Feel it soaking in like starlight all through your mind and body. Enjoy your simple easy meditation any time you want. Everything you do to bring your life into balance will also calm your binge eating. I no longer binge eat and it feels so good to be free of that burden.