New runner needs advice

Options
Hi! So I've been doing C25K on a treadmill and made it to the end of Week 1. Today was bright and sunny outside so I decided it would be a shame to run indoors - so I took Day 1 of Week 2 around my neighborhood.

By the end though my lungs were burning something fierce, like nothing I've experienced before in my life. It was hard to swallow and when I reached the end of my run I felt horrible.

Am I breathing wrong? Is there something I can do to prevent this?

Thanks!

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm a newer runner too, but I mainly run outside. I have found that I run faster outside than on a treadmill. It takes more concentration to pace yourself when the treadmill isn't doing it for you. You could just be going harder. Also, variations in terrain make a difference as opposed to the flat treadmill (assuming no incline on the treadmill).
  • Thoraballa
    Thoraballa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have experienced this too. It is due to where I am at having many hills and the altitude increasing a lot in a short distance.
  • jcorl0913
    jcorl0913 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would guess it's being outside and the different elevations you may be running. I run in and out and personally find it easier to get a "workout" run on a treadmill. Running out doors is what I do when I have time or a longer run and need something more challenging.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm a newer runner too, but I mainly run outside. I have found that I run faster outside than on a treadmill. It takes more concentration to pace yourself when the treadmill isn't doing it for you. You could just be going harder. Also, variations in terrain make a difference as opposed to the flat treadmill (assuming no incline on the treadmill).

I agree with all of this that @MNLittleFinn wrote. You were probably just going too fast without the treadmill to keep you at a slower pace. It takes a lot more body consciousness to keep things at a decent speed outside. It just takes practice. To keep yourself from going to fast, quietly sing along to music or talk to yourself every once in a while. If it's hard, you need to slow down.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is actually doing a portion of the work for you as it pushes your leg rearward. Plus, if you aren't running at an incline of 1.0-1.5 on the tmill, you are essentially running slightly downhill; making it easier. Running outside pits you against the elements (wind mostly), terrain changes, unnoticeable inclines, and to propel yourself forward requires YOU to do 100% of the work. So, it is harder to run outside than on the treadmill (unless you factor incline into your tmill workout). For many, running outside will seem easier, but I think that's mostly mental and not physical. Running on the dreadmill is gawdawful boring!
  • LiftRunRepeat22
    LiftRunRepeat22 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Completely different running on dreadmill than outside. If you want to continue running outside I'd suggest conditioning for outside by starting over with your C25k. Good luck!
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! What was especially helpful was understanding the difference between outdoor and treadmill running. I started because I want to do the Star Wars 1/2 Marathon next year down in Disney and figure it makes sense to start now, rather than procrastinate!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    In addition to the factors already mentioned, temperature may play a role. If it's cold where you are, you might be experiencing exercise-induced asthma. People can go their whole lives without knowing they have it, if they have never done vigorous exercise in the cold.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agreed! Completely different running on dreadmill than outside. If you want to continue running outside I'd suggest conditioning for outside by starting over with your C25k. Good luck!

Definitely this. Outside is always better, unless it's -10, then inside is better. Good luck with the training
    Thanks for the advice everyone! What was especially helpful was understanding the difference between outdoor and treadmill running. I started because I want to do the Star Wars 1/2 Marathon next year down in Disney and figure it makes sense to start now, rather than procrastinate!
    You have plenty of time to get in shape for it and have a good time, starting now. That's basically what I'm doing. I have an 8k this year, then I plan on doing a Spartan race or Tough Mudder next year.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of C25K and I just started this week putting the incline at 1.0 every time. I figure that from what everyone says about the transition, if I get used to a 1.0 incline now maybe going outside won't be that much of a struggle.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    From your description, my first thought was temperature (running in the cold can absolutely make you feel the way you've described) - but lots of good suggestions here. You're doing a great job - keep it up!
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    In addition to the factors already mentioned, temperature may play a role. If it's cold where you are, you might be experiencing exercise-induced asthma. People can go their whole lives without knowing they have it, if they have never done vigorous exercise in the cold.

I have a check up with my doctor in a few weeks, so I'll talk to her about this. I did have asthma as a kid, so maybe? At the very least better to eliminate that as a reason, rather than hope it isn't.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are, but in parts of the US Southwest allergy season started a few days ago.

It'll be about 6 weeks before I can run comfortably outside again.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Running outside is typically harder than on a treadmill--more elevation fluctuations, wind resistance. Also allergies and pollution.

Give yourself some time to adjust. I hate running indoors now. :smiley:
  • CodyQuinlan
    CodyQuinlan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Trained for a lot of marathons and half marathons you just have to learn how to belly breath you can't suck it in and run
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hiya, new back to MFP but having been given a whole load of advice from MFPers myself on being a new runner, running outside etc the most useful tips I had were to buy yourself an Oxford Cosy/Comfy (or similar brand, made with fabric that wicks sweat) if it's cold. You can pull it over your mouth when it's cold, and push it down your neck if it gets too hot, motorcyclists use them. I've passed that tip to a couple of asthmatics, they do help especially if you're by a cold waterfront. Make sure you keep pushing on with running outside, it's tempting to hide away but believe me, it's going to get really boring once you increase time/distance doing it all inside (I had that same shock to the system but further along than you)! Agree with all the other tips, plus look at the running podcasts (free) that give sample music with different BPMs. Find the one that suits you, then google to find other music you like at that BPM (or better buy yourself a basic GPS watch from eBay which offers average pace - run once with it on, nice and steady, but with the odd glance at your average, then you'll know what's right for you right now). Other breathing tip is breathe by footfall, in on left foot, 3 steps, out on left foot (I had to do 2 to start with). Helps with stitch too. Runners World has a great site with loads of handy info. If it helps, I'm quite overweight, my first few weeks were like inhaling gravel. I've just done my first 10k, with 2 more booked and I'll do a half marathon this year, full next. I started again about September last year. My heart and lungs never feel like that now, stick with it, you're doing great :-)