Asthmatic Runners - help needed!

Options
So I'm new to running. I'm running outdoors and following a training program with the plan of running a 10k in May.

I'm really struggling with the weather and my asthma at the moment. I can only run early morning or late evening, and at the moment, it's cold. The cold air is making it really difficult despite being on the highest dose of steroid inhaler I can be on, and using a salbutamol inhaler before I run.

Any tips? Any way around it?

Replies

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When it is realy cold here I wear a buff ( thin fabric tube thingy you wear like a hat, scarf..) and pull it over my mouth to help warm the incoming air. Durring high pollen counts I can't run outside.

For me my lungs don't progress as fast as my legs so when building my running I often have to repeat a week of training a few times.
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I second the buff. I find I need time to get my lungs warmed up, so start with a few minutes of walking, then a slow run, then if the lungs are still feeling ok, up the pace gradually over the first couple of km
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Another one for the buff. Also, make sure your upper body is well layered and start slowly from walk to run. Bring your inhaler with you and also talk to your doctor. I found moving to Florida also helped.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for a buff. I have this one: shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-we-made-too-much/Run-Fast-Neck-Warmer-MD?cc=21339&skuId=3653322&catId=women-we-made-too-much

I find that I adjust to the cold pretty quickly. It only bothers me if there's suddenly a huge temperature change or if I haven't been running regularly in the cold.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful about running outside in too much cold. Often I'll take a puff or two of my inhaler before I go out. I also warm up well with a walk and some dynamic stretching exercises.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Also check out a Eucalyptus Oil that you can apply to your chest after your running... taking deep breaths and remember to relax your breathing
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Also check out a Eucalyptus Oil that you can apply to your chest after your running... taking deep breaths and remember to relax your breathing

Not unless the dr oks it. Some people have a really bad reaction to this. Bd as in, life threatening. for some people it is helpful, for others, it is a trigger.
  • dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not able to run in the cold outside due to my asthma. Even with advair, spireva and taking my albuterol before I go out. I resort to indoor cardio during cold months and head back outside in April.
  • MaggotPig
    MaggotPig Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, will definitely try them.

I'm sure it's just the cold air that does it. I'm an avid spinner (anywhere up to 4-5 classes a week) and can breathe absolutely fine indoors really pushing my self to the limit (I can regularly max out my heart rate in some of the classes). But outdoor running, that's tough. Heart rate doesn't go nuts, only up to 160 or so but I struggle so I can only think it's the cold air. I also find that it gets easier after the initial stint.