Good protein powder?

Options
I can't seem to reach my protein goal naturally so I'm in need of a protein supplement. Anybody have any really great experiences with any particular brand? Any advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like PEScience for two reasons: the taste, and the fact that it's a casein/whey blend. I find casein to make creamier shakes and you can still use it to make protein fluff even though it's a blend. It also bakes well. I recommend snicker doodle, especially if you have a sweet tooth. It goes really well with pretty much any flavor. Tonight I made a snickerdoodle/pumpkin/chocolate/maple candy coffee shake with caramel sauce. It was awesome.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I mostly use Quest's vanilla (not a fan of their other flavours), blended with cold water and frozen fruit - usually banana and strawberry. It gets really thick, it truly is like a milkshake!

I've got free samples from PEScience select protein that I'm trying as well. So far, the only one I liked was the snickerdoodle, which I had mixed with oatmeal. I can't imagine it being tasty with fruit in a shake...
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Rule one is pretty good, also oh yeah nutrition snicker doodle. If you really want a good flavor though id go with either pes or MTS
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've tried sooo many protein powders over the years & really had a hard time finding one that I liked. I've finally settled on Syntrax Nectar Medical Unflavored. It blends fairly well. I've found they all seem to clump some no matter what unless you put them in the actual blender. It's unflavored so I can use it in anything that has some liquid--sweet or savory, without changing the flavor. It's the only unflavored that has actually lived up to that. The rest I've tried all had a distinctive taste to them. It's an 11g serving with 40 cal, 0 fat, 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 10g protein. The biggest drawbacks are that it only comes in 1 lbs containers & it is SUPER expensive. I only use it when I'm coming up short on protein--it's the only macro I actually pay attention to.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I mostly use Quest's vanilla (not a fan of their other flavours), blended with cold water and frozen fruit - usually banana and strawberry. It gets really thick, it truly is like a milkshake!

I've got free samples from PEScience select protein that I'm trying as well. So far, the only one I liked was the snickerdoodle, which I had mixed with oatmeal. I can't imagine it being tasty with fruit in a shake...

Hmmm...I'm trying to think of whether I tried it with fruit. I believe I did it with raspberries and it was good. I'm not much of a fruit person.
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You have to take into account your goals also for weight loss or weight gain like cals/fat/carbs per serving and how you are using the protein, be it mixing with water, milk, shaking, blending etc.

I just shake mine with water, so it needs to blend well and taste good. My two favorites so far are Syntha 6 (higher in cals though) and Muscle Tech Phase 8. I only do chocolate and vanilla so can't vouch for other flavors except the Muscle Tech cookies and cream, it's delicious.

I have heard very good things about PEScience as mentioned above. I just ordered a tub of Dymatize ISO-100 as it has more protein and almost half the cals as syntha 6 per serving since I'm cutting right now, had great reviews on bb.com.

You can sacrafice how well it mixes and taste if you are blending with fruits and such for $$$ if willing.

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    An electric mixer - really helps. Walmart for about $15.
    I use pure protein from walmart. Less than $1 / serving.
    Some of the GNC stuff can cost more than $3 per serving.
    I also use muscle tech (affordable).
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition gold standard. Tons of flavors, mixes well even without a blender or shaker, and it's not as expensive as some others. 120cal/24g protein a scoop

Favorite flavors: rocky road, cake batter.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    fage 0% greek yogurt is a great protein source. 250g (a tad bit over over a cup) has 25g of protein. i rarely use my favorite protein powder since i fell in love with this yogurt!

i have not like many protein powders, most have stevia in it and it makes them taste like they have a chemical aftertaste to me. so if you have problems with stevia too, pick a powder without stevia in it. personally, my favorite protein powder is NuZest clean lean protein wild strawberry but, not with water. i really like it with either 2% milk or unsweeten vanilla almond milk and i sometimes blend in a frozen banana.

• Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    MTS, quest and pes are my preferred. For cheaper ones I'd go with cellucor or optimum nutrition though it's definitely a tie between mts and pes (select protein) they taste good and mix well.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    +1 for optimum nutrition. Tons of flavors and the only one I haven't liked so far is salty caramel... I don't recommend that one.... :/
  • jcorl0913
    jcorl0913 Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Opened a can of worms! Lol. I've learned that it's a preference and if you can get your hands on a sample, do it!!! That being said, my favorite is MRM veggie elite in the mocha chocolate flavor.