Working out with asthma. Help!

I just got diagnosed with asthma last year so I'm still pretty new to this. It's well controlled with medication and when I started working out again, it was no big deal. I've recently increased the intensity of my work outs and started doing more cardio and now I'm starting to feel the effects of the asthma. I get the feeling like I just can't get enough air and my inhaler doesn't really help at that point. Any advice?

Replies

• MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    I have asthma too. I've never been great at cardio, I'm more slow and steady, I really can't sprint. Are you on a daily medication? I use Symbicort daily and it has improved my overall breathing, I didn't realize how bad my asthma had become until my doctor suggested I need a daily drug. I made through the Army with Asthma, used to run a 9 minute mile (18 min 2 mile), not really the best, but passable. I take a puff from my rescue inhaler before I start my cardio, not when I get symptoms.
  • lsmathteacher
    lsmathteacher Posts: 12 Member
    When I first started back to exercising I would take my inhaler before I exercised as I knew it would affect my asthma till I was in better condition. So try taking it before exercise and see if that helps. I also see a structural integrationist a masseuse with more training. He worked on my abs releasing the muscles around the diaphragm. It wa really painful the first time but I never knew breathing could be so good. I could belly breathe. I know have the work done done anytime my asthma acts up. For me that is usually when I get colds and it settles in my chest.
  • JenniferGoodall
    JenniferGoodall Posts: 21 Member
    Take the inhaler before your workout. If you start having issues while working out, slow down the intensity...even just walk in circles. It will help keep your heart rate up but allow you to catch your breath.
  • JenniferGoodall
    JenniferGoodall Posts: 21 Member
    Oh....also....put your hands on your head as you are walking to catch your breath. It will prevent you from shoulder breathing and force you to breath from your abdomen.
  • kceeweezyy
    kceeweezyy Posts: 3 Member
    I also have asthma, I've had it since I was a baby and I've grown up playing soccer and dancing as I still do. I have found it the most helpful to take my inhaler 15 minutes before exercise. Also breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth is very helpful in controlling my breathing. The more I exercise the better my asthma gets. I have always struggled with it but by exercising it is like my breathing has only gotten stronger!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I just got diagnosed with asthma last year so I'm still pretty new to this. It's well controlled with medication and when I started working out again, it was no big deal. I've recently increased the intensity of my work outs and started doing more cardio and now I'm starting to feel the effects of the asthma. I get the feeling like I just can't get enough air and my inhaler doesn't really help at that point. Any advice?

Then your asthma is not well controlled. Talk to your dr again, it might be your meds need adjustment, or it even might be not related to exercise but seasonal. In the meantime, slow down.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    It's well controlled with medication and when I started working out again, it was no big deal. I've recently increased the intensity of my work outs and started doing more cardio and now I'm starting to feel the effects of the asthma.
    Exercise can result in needing inhalers that would've been severe overkill for a person had they remained a couch potato. Pre-treating with your rescue inhaler will eventually fail if you exercise enough. If they're not enough to handle what you eventually want to do, so will the medication you will be put on. Mine got tweaked repeatedly during the summer that I started distance biking because they kept failing when I increased the miles. If you haven't had them already, prepare for having random issues a few hours or even the day after working out. I don't know if it's specific to distance activity, but I start running into them with enough miles done the day before.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I tend to take my inhaler before working out, and then after if I need it. Mine isn't very well controlled, but it isn't exercise induced. Is yours exercise induced? Working out tends to help mine because the release of endorphins works as a bronchodilator.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I too have asthma. luckily I never had to take my rescue inhaler before exercise but I was on advair and accolate at the time and needed my rescue inhaler sometimes when I was done. Im on symbicort now(I stopped taking advair and accolate) and dont have many issues needing it. mine has improved. talk to your doctor and tell him what is happening. you could need your meds adjusted,or your asthma may improve with exercise or it may not.but if the rescue inhaler is not helping stop what you are doing and contact your doctor. asthma can be tricky and hard to get under control for some.find out what type of asthma you have. that will help you figure things out a lot easier.