Having trouble drinking 8 glasses of water a day

Options
I am seriously having trouble drinking all my water daily... I can do 4 no problem... Just wondering if anyone has some tips and tricks on how to attain my goal... I try carrying my water bottle everywhere with me but still having trouble getting to my minimum 8 cups...

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You don't actually need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Drink when you are thirsty. If your pee is light, and you have no symptoms of dehydration, you are getting enough water.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is to keep at it. Keep your water bottle close at hand, at all times. (I take mine literally everywhere.) After a while, you'll start to crave the water. I have my two cups of coffee in the morning, then it's water and nothing else. You could try to add some flavor to it, but I truly think you'd be better off in the long run just learning to drink it plain.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,935 Member
    Options
    I am seriously having trouble drinking all my water daily... I can do 4 no problem... Just wondering if anyone has some tips and tricks on how to attain my goal... I try carrying my water bottle everywhere with me but still having trouble getting to my minimum 8 cups...

when I started I made a rule for myself that I had to drink 8 ounces before I logged onto MFP......I had certain times of day that I drank 8 ounces as a scheduled event just like a meal or a workout......I didn't wait to "want to" drink water, I drank it like it was a prescription from the doctor, an assignment from the teacher, a task assigned by the boss.

:bigsmile: good luck to you
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 glasses a day because I eat so much protein.

I basically have my morning coffee and then move to my large water bottle, it holds 2 glasses of water in it so I basically drink 8 of those a day, I found the more I did it the more thirsty I felt on days I did not have enough water.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You don't actually need to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Drink when you are thirsty. If your pee is light, and you have no symptoms of dehydration, you are getting enough water.

Seconding this. You will be getting water from your food and there's no reason to stress your kidneys by asking them to do so much more work. I know this is not the prevailing opinion here at MFP but google around.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I drink about 8 pints to 20 pints of water a day. Generally 8 are on a weekend when I don't have access to water so readily, and 20 is generally when I have been doing some heavy exercise. On a normal day, probably about 15. But, I like mumtoonegirl, I eat a lot of protein and I cannot stand a dry mouth!
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Do you have a water bottle you can refill throughout the day? If so, put rubber bands on it for how many times you need to fill it. Each time you drink one, slide it to the top, goal is to have it done by the end of the day.

I drink a ton of water naturally, but it does get boring, try "infusing" with different flavors, like lemon, lime, strawberries, mint, blueberries, this helps some people that get bored with water.

Last suggestion, get a half gallon (or gallon) and just try to make sure you drink 1 per day. I usually drink about a gallon and a half through out the day, depends on my workout, weather, etc.
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi. I, like you, struggled in the beginning. I'd almost have to choke it down. The key is to not give up as it becomes easier over time. Here are some of the things I tried (that worked) and now I'm pretty much always drinking between 6 and 8 glasses a day--depending on the day, the exercise, and what I've been eating.
    1. Buy yourself a really cool water bottle as a reward. Something really pretty.
    2. Water bottles with straws work best. Something about drinking from a straw makes it easier.
    3. Try adding fresh lemon juice, lime juice, grapefruit juice--just keep trying different things.
    4. I find drinking hot water in a coffee cup works--especially when I'm at work or on cooler days.
    5. Make homemade soups and add more than the called for amount of water--it's hard to track but you are hydrating while eating.
    6. Eat canned fruit (in water)...again--it adds to your daily consumption
    7. Weak tea--like a fruit blend or peppermint or something...try something new.
    8. Don't worry what other people say. IT's really about getting water into your system. So if you have to add flavour to your water, or drink flavored water or even sparkling water, heck, even jello.... Getting liquid into you, even if it is not pure water, will still help to hydrate your body, add moisture to ensure your muscles are working at their best, and help flush away toxins...

Start slow. One day at a time. One sip at a time. It gets easier.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Drink what you can of water but if you're drinking things like coffee, tea, etc those still count towards your fluid intake.

Everything you eat and drink during the day hydrates you so don't get hung up on having to consume a certain amount of water a day. As long as your aren't thirsty and your pee is light to clear you are fine.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    try room temp water.. it can go down easier for some...also if you drink a glass first thing when you wake up..it gets you started. Many days if I do that.. i get most of my water in before i leave the house.
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I second infusing your water. I find that when I infuse my water with cucumber and fresh mint, it is much easier to drink my 8 glasses/day.
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    you don't HAVE to do anything-- like you don't HAVE to take the garbage out of you house if you don't want :tongue: but that's gross. drinking water is like taking the garbage out, that is constantly accumulating, out of your body!

but I feel ya. my solution was to swap coffee for tea at work. I have a coffee pot at work, so I just keep it full of plain water, not coffee. then pour cups all day with various herbal teas and lemon. I end up getting closer to 20 oz a day that way.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    There is no data to say you need 8 cups of water a day. If your urine is pale yellow then you are hydrated. Any fluid you take in will hydrate your body and most food is comprised of a large amount of water. An apple is 85% water. The whole guzzling water to lose weight thing is a myth. The only effect it has is to keep you feeling fuller and occupied with running to the bathroom so you don't have time to snack.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I drink 8-10 glasses of water per day. In the morning, while I'm in the beauty chamber, I drink a 16 oz container of water. When I get to work, I have one cup of coffee and then I drink my 24 oz bottle before I go to lunch. I drink another 24 oz bottle before I go home. Then I typically drinkg another 16-24 oz when working out.

Most days I do good, others, not so much.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Here is a website that may help you out. It's a hydration calculator.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. 8 glasses is a guidline, depending on your specific body and the amount of water you get from food you might not need this. You should never choke water down and force it.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Drink 1 glass for every hour you're awake. You'll get it in easy peasy...
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem drinking that much liquid in a day too. I had to build it up slowly, and for a while I didn't allow myself to drink anything BUT water until I had my 8 cups in. Now I drink it much more easily; it was a habit I had to actually build.
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have a 750ml lucozade sport bottle that I fill with water, that equals 3 cups, I can easily get through 2 bottles during a hiit workout or an hour at the gym, that's 6 cups already. I have it next to me all day and if I'm concentrating on something I'll drink a bottle without realizing it, it's just become a habit.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Sometimes I fill my two liter camel back up and carry it around with me all day. I find I'm more likely to meet, or exceed, my water intake requirements if I do it in a way that amuses me.