Proper Morning Fitness

Options
Hello all,

I've searched but didn't come up with any specifics...so -

My schedule allows me to do my fitness routine in the morning. Get up, dress, water, head out for run or some strength training at home. I'm now hearing that this routine provides no benefit for fat burn or muscle development. Cardio after fasting from sleep will take from muscle stores and for strength training, muscles have no fuel for effective workout. I would love to eat something, wait an hour and then do a workout but as I said my schedule will not allow. Am I really not getting any benefit from my current routine?

TIA
Cherkey

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Completely false.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    hmm, I haven't heard this, but then again, I don't do a bunch of research. I just go by what works/worked for me. I lost weight (and looked really good) when I hit the gym at 5:30am, fueled only by a cup (or 2) of coffee for 1hr of cardio (M-W-F) and lifting (T-Th-Sat).

I guess (uneducated as it is) is this is similar the "meal-timing" argument. Truth is that yes, meal and or workout time may have "some" effect on weight loss and/or muscle retention, the reality is physical activity (cardio) helps create a caloric deficit and strength training helps retain/build muscle, regardless of when you do it.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You seem to not mind exercising in the morning and it works for you. Even if there were some scientifically superior time for working out that would require you rearrange your schedule and work out at a time when you felt sluggish/hungry/weaker, you'd probably not hit your current intensity or skip it more often, and what good would that do?
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When it comes from fitness and I speak from about 20 years of experience, what matters the most is that you do it. You do it in the morning, in the evening or during your lunch break. You just need to do it and the only way to do it is to find a time that works for you.

If the mornings work for you, that's when you need to do it. The little that you may or may not gain or lose is small compared to not doing it at all because you find the time inconvenient, or you get bogged down by other things during that extra hour.

Work out when you can and find an enjoyable way to do it for you. Then do it consistently. That's all there is to it.