What do you love most about your gym?

Options
lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I get so tired of seeing negative threads asking what annoys you. So let's turn it around! What do you love the most about your gum or fitness center?

1. My trainer gives me workouts that push me, but don't crush me.
2. Lots of positive feedback from my fitness friends who notice & comment on my progress.
3. It's 5 min from home!

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    My coaches. My teammates. The equipment.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's not open to the public...usually there may be two or three people in there being coached up...and sometime, like yesterday, it's my own private gym. My coach is the owner and he's always there...so even if I'm not training with him, I can always consult. It's about 4.5 miles away so I can get a nice warmup on my bike on the way there and a nice cool down with an easy spin home.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The almost family atmosphere
    The fantastic instructors
    The fact we have a pool
    I live 1.1miles away
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It's open 24/7 which is perfect since I work a 3-shift rotation. And it's a 2 minute drive from where I work.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's in my basement!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I love that it's right across the hall from my bedroom and that the only person I have to share equipment with is my husband.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It's open 24/7 and is across the street from my house. I go and get back before the kids wake up, it's empty all the time, and I never feel rushed. It's a game changer for me.
  • amy13a
    amy13a Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The coaches and their knowledge about fitness. I also love the classes! YUMMA rocks!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    That it's a 2 minute walk from my apartment! And also that the cardio equipment come with built-in fans. Best. Luxury. Feature. Ever.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's cheap. Plus, none of the guys bat an eye when I am the only woman in the squat rack, bench press or setting up to deadlift. I'm just somebody else working out and trying to get in shape. Oh, and I rarwly have to wait to use the squat rack. If I do, it's only a few minutes.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Oh nice... a positive thread. :)

Not necessarily in this order....

- I have a lovely PT called Sarah, and when I first saw her I could tell by her physique that she likes to lift. I approached her for a lifting programme and I really enjoy working with her.
    - It's pretty big so there is plenty to do and you never have to wait for a running machine, elliptical, C2 etc
    - They have stuff other gyms don't like Watt bikes
    - They have a really varied class timetable and there is something for everybody (full Les Mills programme... e.g. RPM, Body Pump, Body Combat, Grit etc... also Zumba, Pilates, Yoga and so on)
    - There are other facilities as well such as Squash Courts, Badminton Courts, even Table Tennis (my other half and I do a bit of racket sports)
    - There is a massive climbing wall but I haven't braved that yet.....
    - There is a very well stocked free weights section with lots of barbells, kettlebells, dumbbells, a squat rack and a smith machine.
    - There are oodles of other weights machines / cables / pulleys etc
    - There is some TRX suspension training equipment, as well as other stuff like heavy medicine balls, heavy ropes
    - There is a pool
    - There is a cafe which makes great bacon butties and coffees
    - There is always somewhere to park
    - It's only a 12 min drive for me

I think that's it. :D
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that my gym is a Y but we have tons of powerlifters training there even a world champion/ world record holder.

I don't do classes anymore but there are 20+ a day

Pool

Squash courts

Lots of equipment

For parents: free child minding

It's like a family event though it is big and busy
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    It's in my basement, lol.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The check they give me every other Thursday. Plus, they give us a lot of money to buy equipment, so we have lots of newer models.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA. They just opened a new location near my house. I love it because of the childcare that is included in the membership price. There are several locations in my area so I can choose to go to the one that fits in my schedule i.e. one near my kid's school, one near my work. It's pretty nice to have a convenient option whenever I want.

They also offer a parents night out once a month. Free childcare on a Saturday night = awesome.

In the summer, their outdoor pools are great entertainment for my kids. Splash pads, slides, etc.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Has many things I enjoy weights, hockey, swimming, baseball, basketball etc...
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I belong to the local YMCA.
    1. It's just a few minutes from my house, and directly on my route home from my job. (I usually go after work).
    2. The members are varied in size and shape and age and level of fitness, so I don't feel out of place.
    3. The new treadmills have consoles with scenic videos, which makes it easier for me to finish a session without feeling bored.
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It provides childcare at no cost.

The weight room is great and generally full of helpful people, or at the least, people who get their workouts done and move on without having to sit and chatter.

The staff is great.

There's a pool, hot tub, cardio room separate from the weight room, and sauna if I choose to use those things.

Lots of classes available.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    All the regulars high five each other and chat.
    We have a 50m outdoor heated pool.
    Any class you desire.
    Hot guys.
    Great coffee.
    Trainers who give advice for free, two of whom are competing in the Olympics this year!
    Diving pool.
    Crèche.

I live there. The cafe people think I work there!
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The hot chicks that work out at the same time as me >:)