Tofu?

Options
ellebreedlove42
ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
Bought tofu and want to try something new - but recipes that others have tried. Thanks for everyone's help!

Replies

• OverweightZombie
    OverweightZombie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What kind of tofu did you buy? Soft, firm or extra firm? I cook with tofu all the time so i might be able to suggest something you'll like.
  • ellebreedlove42
    Options
    @OverweightZombie I bought extra firm, I usually just sear but that can be kind of bleh at times, I'm ready to try something new :) I appreciate any recipes/advice you have to offer!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    pinterest.com has some yummy tofu recipes ....baked tofu sticks with a peanutbutter and I think it was tahini sauce was yummy .....teriyaki tofu with broccoli was also yummy
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to recipe now. Baked tofu.

http://pin.it/y_Q5K06
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Try Whole Foods recipe for chicken-fried tofu. It's not healthy but definitely delish! You can find it on Pinterest :)
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Since its firm tofu, u can make a vege stuffed tofu with sweet chilli sauce dip. Thai peanut sauce dip is yummy too..

1. bake tofu. u can use the recipe from above ^^^
    2. julienne/slice carrot, cucumber. Prepare some fresh beansprout as well.
    3. Make the tofu into pouch by sliding your knife into the tofu's centre. Dont cut it through.
    4. Fill the tofu's centre with the carrot, cucumber and beansprout.
    5. Serve with sweet chilli sauce dip /any dip of ur choice.

uycsmzhjlhwj.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Try Whole Foods recipe for chicken-fried tofu. It's not healthy but definitely delish! You can find it on Pinterest :)

Yup, if you don't mind higher calories, salt and pepper tofu is amazing.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    A good trick is to freeze it first, it gives it a "meatier" texture. Then you press it between several towels, on a plate, with another weighted plate on top of that. Change the towels as often as necessary.Now you are ready to marinate! :-)
    Mexican- oil (your choice) water, cumin, garlic, chili powder, Sally and pepper to taste. I've also been lazy and just used a store bought salsa. It didn't suck!
    Asian- sesame oil, water, garlic, ginger (fresh or powdered), Chinese 5 spice
    Italian-olive oil, water,garlic, Italian seasoning
    Indian-oil, water, curry paste or powder, garlic, turmeric
    I love tofu!!!!;!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A good trick is to freeze it first, it gives it a "meatier" texture. Then you press it between several towels, on a plate, with another weighted plate on top of that. Change the towels as often as necessary.Now you are ready to marinate! :-)
    Mexican- oil (your choice) water, cumin, garlic, chili powder, Sally and pepper to taste. I've also been lazy and just used a store bought salsa. It didn't suck!
    Asian- sesame oil, water, garlic, ginger (fresh or powdered), Chinese 5 spice
    Italian-olive oil, water,garlic, Italian seasoning
    Indian-oil, water, curry paste or powder, garlic, turmeric
    I love tofu!!!!;!

Is the idea that by squeezing all the water out, it then sucks up the marinade? Because that's genius!
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe for salsa baked tofu!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    We eat tofu regularly...kids love it

Firm tofu:
    Maipo tofu either vegetarian or with meat
    Fried and added to a vegetable mixture (Buddhas feast type)
    Various Sichuan styles - in chili oil either without fish), gong bao, fish fragrant, red braised

For silken:
    Most commonly we gave it sliced with a light soya sauce (colour not sodium) diluted, sesame oil, and edamame.

Ill try and find a picture if some...

• ellebreedlove42
    Options
    Thank you everyone these sound amazing! I usually just pan sear it because my dad- thinking he's a gourmet chef- had ruined tofu for me on almost all other levels buuuuuut thankfully I'm slightly more technically inclined in the kitchen so I wanted to try more things!

@mjwarbeck I'm contemplating having my older son try it- do your kids know it's tofu ? Or have you told them it's something different ? We definitely did that with shrimp and calamari XD
  • ellebreedlove42
    Options
    @swift13b that sounds amazing ! I almost have all those ingredients so I may try that later! Minus the siracha, I'm in my third trimester, I had contractions after eating siracha brazed wings XD

@superhippiechik thanks those all sound amazing and easy which makes meal times easier :)

@ms_smartypants I am on Pinterest but was getting loads of Asian inspired dishes which is nice but I like variety- I did see a recipe for that and it sounds yummy!

@zira91 that looks amazing ! I love sweet chili sauce ! It's my crack at all oriental restaurants

@Softrbreeze @Alatariel75 unfortunately I need to watch calories although I wish I didn't ! It's a bummer :/

@jgnatca thanks ! I think I may try that one today !
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I used to make some bangin' tofu tacos.

Crumble up some extra firm tofu with a fork and toss it in a saucepan with maybe a cup of tomato sauce and packet of taco seasoning and let it cook til the liquid evaporates. You can also saute some onions beforehand in some oil.

With this mixture you can then add whatever fixings sound good (avocado slices, corn salsa, mushrooms, etc). I used to wrap them in Trader Joe's handmade corn tortillas which are def worth the extra money. Dunno if they still sell those but those cheap stacks of tortillas at the supermarket have no flavor to me.

• mjwarbeck
    Options
    Thank you everyone these sound amazing! I usually just pan sear it because my dad- thinking he's a gourmet chef- had ruined tofu for me on almost all other levels buuuuuut thankfully I'm slightly more technically inclined in the kitchen so I wanted to try more things!

@mjwarbeck I'm contemplating having my older son try it- do your kids know it's tofu ? Or have you told them it's something different ? We definitely did that with shrimp and calamari XD

Kids know it is tofu....the two year old sees it and yells "TOFU!"

One of the kids favourite breakfasts is tofu dessert (brand we have have sunrise)...mango, custard, coconut, or taro flavours.....you can also get tubes of egg tofu which they loved fried as babies. Then again we mixed tofu in their baby food far before they ate meat.

Rarely do we not tell the kids what the food is...the last time I can remember was at dim sum and the 7 year old wanted to try the "noodles" I was eating...was actually tripe. He loved them. Then I told him. Didn't matter then as he loved it.

Today they all have great palate...which makes it easy for traveling...
  • mjwarbeck
    Options

Also should add that the family enjoys simple pan fried tofu...but at the end I drizzle on Thai fish sauce...they love it!
  • ellebreedlove42
    Options
    @ClubSilencio those sound amazing ! That would also make a delicious stuffing for chile's or bell peppers. I'll probably try that with some saffron rice! Mm mm thanks !

@mjwarbeck that's amazing ! Our kids are so so picky. I often have to tell them it's one food when it's not. Then break the news when they like it
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to buy a Japanese tofu curry and the tofu was sort of chewy spongy all the way through. How do I get it to go like that at home?
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My favorite tofu recipe -- Vegetarian Lettuce Wrap http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/vegetarian-lettuce-wraps/
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options