Low calorie breakfast ideas?

Options
_andreamarie
_andreamarie Posts: 48 Member
I don't usually eat breakfast & I need to start. I need some ideas & it'd also be nice if they we're quick so I could keep eating breakfast when school starts back. I don't eat eggs btw so nothing with them. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Maybe some yogurt with fresh fruits, like strawberries, blueberrys or pineapple added to it?

I like having an english muffin or toast with peanut butter on it and bananas cut up on it, but that will be higher calorie.

You could also make a smoothie with fruit, milk and yogurt.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I made a crockpot of steel cut oats with chia seeds on Saturday night. Sunday morning, I put it into 4 bowls for the week. Every morning, I grab a bowl, put a little brown sugar and some fresh fruit on it and heat it up for 2-3 minutes. Super good, really filling and probably the easiest breakfast I've ever made.

1c steel cut oats
    a few T of chia seeds
    4c water
    5.3oz container of greek yogurt (I used vanilla)
    Whatever toppings you want - (I used fresh blueberries one day, strawberries with walnuts another day, diced peaches, etc)

Soak the oats, water and yogurt in the crockpot for a few hours (something about increasing nutrient absorption)
    before bed, turn it on low and cook 7-8 hours overnight.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat breakfast & I need to start. I need some ideas & it'd also be nice if they we're quick so I could keep eating breakfast when school starts back. I don't eat eggs btw so nothing with them. Thanks in advance :)
    why do you NEED to eat breakfast? if you don't feel hungry in the AM, then don't eat. I know that *they* say it's the most important meal of the day, but I don't think that's true. I *do* eat breakfast on the days i go to the gym (which lately have been every day) but I don't eat that much - usually a yogurt and fruit, or nuts, sometimes rice cakes and cheese, or just cheese. if i don't feel hungry, i don't.

however, if you do feel like you are hungry - then make up a batch of muffins and freeze them, or make some breakfast muffins (google "low carb breakfast muffins" for ideas) and freeze those, or grab a yogurt and some fruit, or make a smoothie... or have non- traditional food like chicken or turkey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you don't usually eat breakfast, then start eating it, expect major changes in your appetite. When I eat breakfast too early in the morning, I wind up eating more during the day. Breakfast is when you break your fast from being asleep. The time of day you eat and the types of food you choose is all up to you. There is no right or wrong time to eat meals.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I get up early to exercise, drink coffee, check news, clean up and then drive to work. By 8 or 9, I'm hungry and, if I don't eat something, I'll give in to fast food at lunch.
    Though I prefer old fashioned oats, I don't mind low sugar instant oatmeal so I usually have some in my desk. Lately, I've been happy with 2T natural peanut butter and a sliced apple. Today, I had a Pure Protein bar but that's not going to be a common thing. An hour or 2 after I eat, I like to have some fruit. Clementines today.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    1 cup cottage cheese w/ 1 cup fresh berries or other fruit - 300ish cals

Quick, easy, good and full of protein.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I do about half a cup of zucchini, half a cup of cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup onion, 1 cup of spinach, and 1 cup of egg whites. Make it like scrambled eggs or an omlette! 195 calories and lots of protein!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Don't assume you need a "low calorie" breakfast. I used to not eat breakfast. After toying around I realize that I end up eating the best overall if I have a big breakfast - 500-600 calories. Any smaller and I end up overeating throughout the day, and my workouts aren't as productive (I tend to wake up at 6, breakfast at 8, workout around 11). I could skip breakfast and not eat until noon but it always backfires for me.
  • Charweezie
    Charweezie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    you want quick and easy? Protein shake every morning. its not for everyone but it works for me especially after i work out in the mornings! with a mid morning snack after of course.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like PB2 spread on Ole Extreme Wellness Low Carb High Fiber Tortilla - then roll up with fresh banana. Yummy and very filling - only 237 cal. or 2 WW PP.
  • dluberts
    dluberts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    oatmeal(not instant)i will get baggies full for each day of the week.i add 2 tsp of bron sugar.the amount i make equates to about 100 calories.but you can make as much as you want.oatmeal keeps you full for longer.and you could add fruit or nuts.nuts wi=hich have good proteins and fat to them will also help you to stay full longer so that way you dont binge.i also recommend that you eat little snacks between meals too.breakfast in the am then lid am eat a light snack then lunch time then light afternoon snack then dinner maybe another light snack.that way you keep getting the energy you need and nutrients.while not starving yourself
  • ChristyYerka
    Options
    I premake steel oats too! I will make a batch and split it up into 4-5 bowls. I do steel oats, flax meal and protein powder. Then on the day that I take them out to eat them I 'doctor' them up to whatever I feel like. Usually fruit or alittle greek yogurt or nuts.Just add alittle milk or water before microwaving and they don't stay real thick. Usually around 300-350 calories - but has the protein and fiber I am looking for and not too hgih in sugar til I add the fruit!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    My go-to quick breakfast is wheat bread with peanut butter; it's delicious, it fills me up, and if you need to get a workout in before you're out the door it's very nice on your stomach. I use a slice of Meijer's Classic Bakery Harvest Wheat Bread (80 calories, 15 carbs, 1 fat, 3 protein, 160 sodium, 1 fiber) and half a tablespoon of Jif smooth peanut butter (48 calories, 2 carbs, 4 fat, 2 protein, 35 sodium, 1 fiber). So you're only eating about 130 calories!

However, I also highly suggest Greek yogurt and fruit, low-calorie instant oatmeal (I've heard conflicted things about these but I occasionally use the Meijer brand and I'm still losing weight), or you could make muffins the night before.

Breakfast is my favorite meal, so get creative and have fun with it! :drinker:
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal all the time in the morning. Its only 100-130 calories.
  • cxdyer
    cxdyer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I too make a batch of steel cut oats for the week but my favorite on-the-go is Morning Star veggie pattie (tastes like a sausage patty) at 80 cal, Eggo multi-grain waffle topped with frozen bluberries that I heat up at 70 cal for the waffle and 20 cal for the berries.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I often just grab a Quest protein bar and maybe some fruit. There is quite a variety, they are about 20 g of protein, low in sugar and range in calories from 160 - 200 and keep me full for quite a long time.
  • BONOBO249
    BONOBO249 Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to skimp or miss breakfast too. However I am diabetic and can no longer have the luxury of missing meals.:ohwell: . with this in mind I found this breakfast :bigsmile: ... i cup Post great grains cereal , raw pecans 1/4 cup and 1/4 cup almonds and 1/2 cup low fat milk. total 630 calories And yes I know this is not "Low" calorie but I found that if I have a good start to the day then I can make it through the day without hunger pains :glasses: and my blood sugar is approaching normal. :happy: Jim
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. My two go-to breakfasts are:

1) Plain instant oatmeal with nuts, fruit, ground flaxseed, and a little sugar.

2) Cereal with nuts, fruit, ground flaxseed, and yogurt.

MEASURE THE PORTIONS (or skip nuts/ flaxseed) and these are easily low-calorie. I like big, filling breakfasts, and still rarely hit 500 calories with these and a coffee.
  • ripped_vik
    Options
    i would go for oatmeal too, but i suggest u to try out intermittent fasting... it's good to NOT eat breakfast in order to loose weight :)
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    why do you NEED to eat breakfast? if you don't feel hungry in the AM, then don't eat. I know that *they* say it's the most important meal of the day, but I don't think that's true. I *do* eat breakfast on the days i go to the gym (which lately have been every day) but I don't eat that much - usually a yogurt and fruit, or nuts, sometimes rice cakes and cheese, or just cheese. if i don't feel hungry, i don't.

however, if you do feel like you are hungry - then make up a batch of muffins and freeze them, or make some breakfast muffins (google "low carb breakfast muffins" for ideas) and freeze those, or grab a yogurt and some fruit, or make a smoothie... or have non- traditional food like chicken or turkey.

this this this this. please don't eat breakfast just because you think you have to!