camping meals

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
For our anniversary we are taking the long drive from San Diego to Big Sur! We will be camping for 4 days and I was wondering what suggestions everyone has for meals? Not to worried about calories just some things I can prep and have ready... Maybe besides steak, steak, and steak. ha.

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Our favorite camp food are Hobo's.

Take any protein (meatballs, chicken, pork chop)
    Add 1 handful of diced potatoes, one handful of
    Baby carrots cut into three peices, a handful of onion slices, a handful of mushrooms, 5-7 strips of red bell pepper, a few cloves of fresh garlic, and hot peppers (tabasco, Indian, Habenero, Jolokia) if you like spicy food.

Use aluminum foil to make a foil pouch. Add all ingredients (chicken will need a tsp of evoo) season well. We use garlic powder, Spicy Monterey Steak Seasoning, and onion powder. Cook on hot stones on edge of fire pit. Use plastic wear and there's no dishes!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    P.S.

You can also make those ^^^ in your oven at home. 375 for 1.5 hours. But we usually have an oven full of them.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Check out Ziploc omelets. Lots of fun when camping. You can add all sorts of favorite ingredients, and they really do turn out! You'll need a large stock pot to boil the water in.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    Our favorite camp food are Hobo's.

Take any protein (meatballs, chicken, pork chop)
    Add 1 handful of diced potatoes, one handful of
    Baby carrots cut into three peices, a handful of onion slices, a handful of mushrooms, 5-7 strips of red bell pepper, a few cloves of fresh garlic, and hot peppers (tabasco, Indian, Habenero, Jolokia) if you like spicy food.

Use aluminum foil to make a foil pouch. Add all ingredients (chicken will need a tsp of evoo) season well. We use garlic powder, Spicy Monterey Steak Seasoning, and onion powder. Cook on hot stones on edge of fire pit. Use plastic wear and there's no dishes!

this is awesome! thank you.. sounds so good right now haha.
  • fishshark
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Check out Ziploc omelets. Lots of fun when camping. You can add all sorts of favorite ingredients, and they really do turn out! You'll need a large stock pot to boil the water in.

never even heard of ziplock omelettes.. yess! i was just thinking about like.. do i take the whole carton of eggs haha.
  • kaitlinteeter
    kaitlinteeter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I made this picnic sandwich on a trip once-- it was easy to prep and really yummy on the go! I am hoping to make it again this summer :-)

http://echoesoflaughter.ca/2011/06/perfect-picnic-sandwich-oh-yes-it-is.html
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We usually grill salmon and asparagus
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Camping pizza.
    -- 1 small (8-inch) Boboli crust
    -- pizza sauce
    -- shredded cheese
    -- canned chicken
    -- toppings (I like marinated artichoke hearts and grape tomatoes, halved)

Spray frying pan with nonstick spray. Put Boboli crust in pan. Layer pizza sauce and a small amount of cheese. Continue layering with canned chicken and other toppings. Cover with more cheese. Put tight lid on frying pan. Place on burner of camping stove (i.e. Coleman 2-burner stove) on low for 15 minutes WITHOUT PEEKING. Then check to see if cheese has melted. When it has, pizza is done. Serves 2.
  • fishshark
    Options
    I made this picnic sandwich on a trip once-- it was easy to prep and really yummy on the go! I am hoping to make it again this summer :-)

http://echoesoflaughter.ca/2011/06/perfect-picnic-sandwich-oh-yes-it-is.html

oh mannnn that looks so good!
  • fishshark
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Camping pizza.
    -- 1 small (8-inch) Boboli crust
    -- pizza sauce
    -- shredded cheese
    -- canned chicken
    -- toppings (I like marinated artichoke hearts and grape tomatoes, halved)

Spray frying pan with nonstick spray. Put Boboli crust in pan. Layer pizza sauce and a small amount of cheese. Continue layering with canned chicken and other toppings. Cover with more cheese. Put tight lid on frying pan. Place on burner of camping stove (i.e. Coleman 2-burner stove) on low for 15 minutes WITHOUT PEEKING. Then check to see if cheese has melted. When it has, pizza is done. Serves 2.

thank you for this we love pizza and this will be perfect!