Reflecting on American food

Options
Being a Canadian I sometimes find myself wondering about some american dishes and how they might taste, a lot of them are probably not the best nutrition wise but maybe someday I'll go south of border and try them out. Things like sweet tea, green bean casserole, sweet potatoe casserole, Popeye's chicken, and White Castle mmmmmm someday haha

Replies

• KristyO
    KristyO Posts: 126
    Options
    You are not missing anything with White Castle!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I don't know were in Canada you are, but sweet tea is a little more southern. I'm in Michigan and sweet tea is not the norm, although its becoming more popular. I like my tea unsweetened.

I do like green bean casserole a lot though. Popeyes is ok, but we rarely eat there. And White Castle - I woudn't bother.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You'll have to go to the Midwest for that
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You could make the first 3 things on your list. Just get some tea bags and throw about 4 into a picture and pour boiled water into it. Let it soak until it gets all the tea, take out the bags and sweeten it to taste and serve.

I make my green bean casserole with either 1-2 cans (depending on how many people I'm serving) of cream of chicken soup or cream of mushroom soup mixed with canned grean beans. Let it bake for an hour, then top with French's french onions and bake for a little bit just to crisp them up. Serve.

Sweet potato casserole, I'm not sure... I've yet to have success cooking a sweet potato.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you want to know what sweet tea is like, just take a pound of sugar and add a little tea to it. It's so sweet it will make your teeth chatter. It's disgusting, trust me.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Being a Canadian I sometimes find myself wondering about some american dishes and how they might taste, a lot of them are probably not the best nutrition wise but maybe someday I'll go south of border and try them out. Things like sweet tea, green bean casserole, sweet potatoe casserole, Popeye's chicken, and White Castle mmmmmm someday haha

I don't nor have I ever liked any of that.
    Yuck!
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Why? Sweet Tea -- sugar water with brown coloring. Green Bean Casserole -- the ban of my childhood existance. :sick: Lousy thing to do to a half decent vegetable. Sweet Potatoe Casserole -- Who's idea was it to take a sweet veggie and gussy it up with extra sugar and marshmallow? great way to ruin a really nice "potatoe". :grumble: (and I am not adverse to casseroles -- just these two!) Popyey's chicken and White Castle??? they're just fast food. Welll, they are fast ... I am not so sure about the food part.:ohwell:

If you are coming for American food, come for the good stuff: Maine Lobster fresh off the boat is soo sweet, Philly cheesesteak with real steak, provalone cheese and fried onions, a maryland crab cake... :happy: :bigsmile:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of sweet potatoes normally, but as a southerner, I *love* sweet tea and sweet potato pie! As for the rest ... meh. Fast food is fast food, you know?

You can always make sweet tea with Splenda. I like it best with lemon, too :smile:
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    Yeah, you're not missing anything with Popeye's. It's kinda like KFC only yuckier. BUT for those who are not in the Western part of the US, you ARE missing out on Cafe Rio! A delicious fresh Mexican restaurant - not fast food, but not necessarily sit down either. It's kind of like a cafeteria experience - you go up to the assembly line and they get your tortilla ready, and then you choose black or pinto beans, their cilantro lime rice is delicious, and you pick what you want on your burrito/enchilada/whatever. I always get a salad because their house jalapeno ranch dressing is the most amazing thing I have ever tasted. Their sweet pork is to die for too. YUM.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Also a canadian here.
    We just drove down to Florida a month ago. I've always wanted to go to a White Castle, but didn't see any.

What I did see alot of was Boiled Peanuts.
    I didn't try them and not sure if I wanted to ?

Are they just boiled in water?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Shamrocks right with the sweet tea and up until recently, popeyes was more sourthern (it's my weakness however!!!) Loooooove it.

I made sun tea (grew up with my mom making it) Take on of those clear koolaid pitchers with the spout on the bottom, put about 8-12 tea bags in water (filled to top) with the strings sticking out, add 1-2 lemons dependong on size, sliced and screw on the top. sit in the sun for a few hours and let brew! I let it brew until the water is dark and container is hot! You can use a flavored tea and you don't need any sweeteneer, otherwise I like honey mixed in and then hit it with ice. (and maybe vodka :drinker: )

Green bean casserole I make a healthier version these days, but the old schools the best! I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes in the sweet dishes, I prefer more savory. I use it in a lot of soups, casseroles and roasts!

As for white castle.. I've never tried.. and never plan to!
  • GoChips333
    GoChips333 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    White Castle is GOD!!!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Also a canadian here.
    We just drove down to Florida a month ago. I've always wanted to go to a White Castle, but didn't see any.

Yes I believe the Boiled Peanuts are boiled in salted water... gross.. in the shell. They just look so unappealing. That's deffinitly a sourthern thing, in fact it's either one of the Carolinas or Georgia where its REALLY big.
  • caitlin15
    caitlin15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Obviously we all know that America is huge! Therefore making the taste buds around the country very different. To me, of what you listed off, most of that is what a lot of southerners would eat. Like the green bean casserole and sweet potatoes which I love but I grew up eating that are very delicious to me. Everyone is different, country to country, state to state. Just try it for yourself :D
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Also a canadian here.

The boiled peanuts are a Georgia/Florida thing. I can't stand them! I'd rather have my peanuts just roasted/salted anyday!

White Castle is more of a Northern restaurant... the one furthest south is in Nashville, TN (if it is still there, can't remember!). Krystal is somewhat the Southern equivalent of White Castle.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Canadian here, I live on the border of Michigan so I go to the states at least 1x a month... I can tell you this -- I have no idea how American's lose weight! Whenever I go to a restaurant the serving sizes are huge! And for every diet item I buy at meigher there are like 10 non diet items that look soooo good! I give props to all you Americans that can resist all the delicious things they throw at you there! And super cheap too!

I saw that burger king had ribs the other day!! how is that possible!??

For all you Canadians, if you do go over, try popeyes chicken it is awesome! White Castle is not so great, the american poutine is with bacon and cheddar cheese (they don't call it that) , and if you find a Cicis pizza stop! Its all you can eat for like $5 bucks, they have a pizza with mac and cheese on it lol... make sure you go on your cheat day!
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmMMmMmMMM ..... Popeye's.... i could go for one ANYTHING from there right now!!! Or a McDonalds Sweet Tea! I swear they put crack in that stuff...lmao
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Also a canadian here.

I am from the South, Alabama to be exact. I love boiled peanuts. Some people don't like them because of the texture. They are soft, about the consistency of a cooked bean. They are boiled in water, but you can get them in different flavors; they use different seasonings. I love the ones that are spicy, usually flavored with Tabasco sauce. Next time you see them, try them.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Or a McDonalds Sweet Tea! I swear they put crack in that stuff...lmao
    Seriously! I think they do. Their's is the best! I haven't had sweet tea in about 6 months..........:ohwell:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    White Castle is GOD!!!

...especially at 3AM after a long night of partying.
    I can't stomach White Castle when I'm sober though...weird.