Questions about exercising and knee pain

Options
kkerri
kkerri Posts: 276 Member
I have bad knees. I was diagnosed by one doctor with chondromylacia and another with some tracking disorder. I need to workout with weights and strength train. I have had 2 personal trainers and both recommend things like lunges and squats. (One had more plyometric and jumping moves, so I stopped her workouts and went back to the one who just did lunges and squats).

I have knee pain every time - during and after.

I am hoping that I hear stories of people who worked through the pain and built up more muscle and reversed the pain (I am optimistic :-)

My doctors have been sort of useless so I am looking to see what others have done.

Replies

• 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't have a good answer for u sadly. i am anxious to hear what others have to say. i have bad knees as well, and my right one in particular, every time i do any workout with the slightest lower body, that knee puts me out of commission for days. i do hope to hear some positive input from others as well

good luck to u!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't have a good answer but I went to the doc to do x-rays to see if it was arthritis. There was some minor stuff but really nothing major. She put me on an Aleve regimen of 2 in the morning and 2 at night for 2-3 weeks and the difference was HUGE. Good luck!
  • pelpec
    pelpec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have weak knees and especially my right knee. I feel it using stairs. I figured I hadn't helped being overweight. I don't know if I can fix it, but I started doing 100 squats every day...day 42 now and I have lifted my bum, slimmed my thighs and I have begun to strengthen the muscles that support my knees. I think it must be helping, though I still have pain at times. I started the 30 day shred unable to do jumping jacks...but now I can do them! I have lost 26 lbs so I am sure that helps. I will just keep at it and see how my knees cope.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't do lunges, but I have found that I can do squats without pain if I keep my stance wide.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I incorporated light weight high rep (15-20 reps) leg extensions into my workouts which have reduced knee pain. Don't lockout your knee at the top of the movement and keep toes pointed slightly out.
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My knees had gotten so bad....went back to manufacturing work and stand eight hours a day........I would be in tears by the time I came home from work. I wore knee braces at work for a year and a half and would come home in the evening and park myself on the couch with ice bags on my knees. I even ended up in the ER at one point.....couldn't put any weight on my leg. Finally started exercising in March to try and build up the muscles because I knew this was not normal arthritis pain. I quit wearing my knee braces around May 1. I'm still not pain free but it's 150% better!