Does birth control affect weight loss?

Options
Hello! I've heard through friends that birth control helps with acne and heavy period symptoms, and there's a possibility I may start taking it. Does it have any affect on weight loss? Does it make it easier or harder?

Replies

• CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the new birth control pills but the old ones caused weight gain
  • SelfBuiltEmpire14
    SelfBuiltEmpire14 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't know about the new birth control pills but the old ones caused weight gain

Thank you! Do you know of the brand names specifically?
  • jmbarnes0716
    jmbarnes0716 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost weight going from the iud to birth control pills. And my face cleared up and very light cycles now.
  • Manda8494
    Manda8494 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on Mirena since September..I have no periods now and acne has cleared up (I didn't have any really due to taking Accutane a few years back) but I don't believe it affects weight. We'll find out! lol Good luck!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Different people have different reactions to different BC. I've had to go through a few to find what was most beneficial to me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It can affect your mood, your appetite, and water retention. Those things can affect your weight. It doesn't directly cause you to retain excess fat. I've been on Mircette since '08. I did put on a ton of weight, but only by overeating. I've had no trouble whatsoever getting it back off.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Not exactly. @PaulaWallaDingDong is bang on correct. The hormones may change appetite but they don't "make you gain weight" per se. The current products are generally very low doses of a couple or three hormones, so the effects on appetite might not be as bad as before. But you control what goes in your mouth and whether you exercise.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I first started birth control, I was told by my doctor that I would feel more hungry than usual and to try not to give in when I thought I was hungry.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    They really shouldn't make you gain weight, though you may experience a fast gain or loss of a few pounds when you start due to the hormonal water weight fluctuations. Some people also experience more hunger or a decreased appetite.

After about 3 months, your body should adjust to the new hormone levels. Talk to your doctor about your weight concerns in conjunction with getting the prescription - your doctor should check in with you and monitor side effects over the first few months and make changes until you find one that suits you. There are many formulations of birth control pills. It may take a little trial and error, but there's a good chance you'll find one you like!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ten women will give you ten different answers because different pills and different bodies interact differently. It's true that they can't *make* you gain weight, although for some people they can cause an increase in appetite, and they may temporarily change fluid balance (although likely over time you will see this balance out as not having the same large natural variations in hormonal balance over the course of a cycle will reduce TOM bloating for some people).

When I first started on BC pills as a teen, I lose a little weight because my appetite was very low for several months, but it balanced out over a little while and I have been low normal, normal, and just barely overweight over the course of the years (in varying orders and durations) while taking BC pills and at one point having a hormone-releasing IUD.

Being aware of the possible effect on appetite should help prevent any weight gain- you might be a little hungrier, but if you don't increase your intake correspondingly, that won't affect your weight.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    There are so many on the market that if you have issues you can talk with your doctor to see if another may be better.

I was on bc in the past, just the most basic, and I lost weight.

They did help a LOT with severe cramps. I went off them after several years and still don't get cramps or bloating, etc to this day.

To me even fighting a little extra hunger would be more than worth getting rid of cramps or any issues you may be having.