Any kombucha drinkers?

Options
Just wanted to see how many, if any, kombucha drinkers there are here. I am thinking about starting a new batch. I heard its good for weight loss. Share your stories :)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's tasty! I don't know how it would aid in weight loss, but it is tasty, and I have it when I have a hankering for something sweet!
  • jaymich001
    jaymich001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think its the enzymes and probiotics that help with weight loss. I have several SCOBY's in a hotel. I think I am going to start another batch this week.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I love kombucha, but it will not aid in weight loss. Calorie deficit causes weight loss not anything magical found in food or drinks.

That being said kombucha is said to have links to other positive health benefits but I haven't seen any solid studies done to really prove anything.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I like it! I haven't noticed any health benefits but I stopped drinking alcohol a year ago and kombucha is a nice replacement. I actually prefer the kefir drinks like Kevita but they're very similar.
  • jaymich001
    Options
    I started brewing back in August, just 1f. Took a break for a few months. Thinking about brewing again since I have 8 SCOBY's in a hotel. I never tried kefir before. Saw Kevita in the grocery store today and bought the raspberry lemon kombucha. It was pretty good.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love it. I like the taste and its refreshing.
    I've never had it "home made" but it's really good.
    My favorite is the organic cranberry flavor from Whole Foods.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I am recently trying it out to recover from being overtreated with antibiotics and incorrectly prescribed another med. My situation is conflicting because I also have histamine intolerance. So, I need the probiotics to recover, but they also trigger other symptoms from the other medical injury (nerve pain in my face). So, it's a balance. I am undergoing testing to see if it can help further inform me in how to recover. I do like the taste of kombucha.
  • jaymich001
    Options
    As a teen I would get tonsilitis frequently. One time it got so bad it went all the way down my throat. Because I got it all the time the effectiveness of antibiotics was zero. Went to a health food store (we were on vacation too and that made it suck that much more) and the guy had us buy a huge bottle and told me to gargle 1oz 3x per day. The very next day I was 100% better. I love it. I hope it works for you BinaryPulsar.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    It does nothing for weight loss.

I tried a bottle once. It was carbonated vinegar. Thought the bottle version was just crappy, so made some myself. It's carbonated vinegar.

Researched what the SCOBY does: It converts sugar to alcohol, which acetobacter converts to vinegar.

So, you can say, I'm not a fan because I don't like drinking carbonated vinegar.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    jaymich001 wrote: »
    As a teen I would get tonsilitis frequently. One time it got so bad it went all the way down my throat. Because I got it all the time the effectiveness of antibiotics was zero. Went to a health food store (we were on vacation too and that made it suck that much more) and the guy had us buy a huge bottle and told me to gargle 1oz 3x per day. The very next day I was 100% better. I love it. I hope it works for you BinaryPulsar.

Thanks. I like it with ginger.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Interesting.....this kind of happened to me with tonsillitis too. I mean, antibiotics almost do nothing for me now.

I did make kombucha a few times but I couldn't keep up with it. I haven't bought it for awhile either. Now I'm kind of in the mood for one. It does not aid in weight loss though.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It does nothing for weight loss.

I tried a bottle once. It was carbonated vinegar. Thought the bottle version was just crappy, so made some myself. It's carbonated vinegar.

Researched what the SCOBY does: It converts sugar to alcohol, which acetobacter converts to vinegar.

So, you can say, I'm not a fan because I don't like drinking carbonated vinegar.

I LOVE vinegary foods, so that's one of the reasons I like kombucha, especially ginger flavored ones. Not really sweet, a little spicy, very gingery and a bit vinegary. It's certainly helped out when I'm craving something fizzy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah, the gingery ones are tasty and settle my tummy.

But, do you think it's bad for our teeth?

I guess it's not much different from people that drink wine, etc.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love kombucha. I make it at home, and we sell tons of it at work. One local brewery actually supplies us with kegs of it, so we sell it on tap, as well as in traditional bottles. We just got in a new flavor that has elderberries, blueberries, and holy basil in it. It seriously tastes like a wine cooler. Delicious!
  • jaymich001
    Options
    I love kombucha. I make it at home, and we sell tons of it at work. One local brewery actually supplies us with kegs of it, so we sell it on tap, as well as in traditional bottles. We just got in a new flavor that has elderberries, blueberries, and holy basil in it. It seriously tastes like a wine cooler. Delicious!
    That sounds yummy! I have never bottled. Just make a batch & drink it.
  • jaymich001
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Interesting.....this kind of happened to me with tonsillitis too. I mean, antibiotics almost do nothing for me now.

I did make kombucha a few times but I couldn't keep up with it. I haven't bought it for awhile either. Now I'm kind of in the mood for one. It does not aid in weight loss though.

When I was a kid they prescribed amoxicillin for everything. So now I have a tolerance to it. Thankfully I only get sick for maybe 2 weeks out of the year.

As for the weight loss comment I made, I will have to go find it. Maybe it was boosting your metabolism. Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to do that, so why not kombucha lol
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

When I was a kid they prescribed amoxicillin for everything. So now I have a tolerance to it. Thankfully I only get sick for maybe 2 weeks out of the year.

As for the weight loss comment I made, I will have to go find it. Maybe it was boosting your metabolism. Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to do that, so why not kombucha lol

Metabolisms don't need "boosts" nor do they really get boosted by certain foods. But yeah if you find the study please post.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It's microbiome changes that can sometimes cause people to be thinner or heavier. They discovered this among other interesting links to the microbiome when doing experimental fecal transplants for people dealing with life threatening resistant c.diff infections (caused by severe overtreatment with antibiotics).
  • maplesyrup10
    maplesyrup10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kombucha!!!!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's microbiome changes that can sometimes cause people to be thinner or heavier. They discovered this among other interesting links to the microbiome when doing experimental fecal transplants for people dealing with life threatening resistant c.diff infections (caused by severe overtreatment with antibiotics).

Ahhhh I remember those fecal transplants studies. I should read.