Thyroid Condition - Need Help

Hello, I have hypo-thyroidism and it is very hard to for me to lose weight! This makes me so discouraged! I start trying to lose the weight then I get easily side tracked w/ all the things that I know I shouldn't be eating because the weight just don't come off like it should. Help please!!!! If you also have hypo-thyroids, can you please give me some advice on how to lose weight? How long does it take to see results? And, if you don't have thyroids, please give advice as well. Thank you!

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Two pieces of advice:

1. Make sure your medications are properly adjusted. Your doctor should not be relying solely on TSH to determine if you are getting the right hormone levels. S/he should be checking T4, T3 adn rT3, at a minimum, because T4 converts to T3 (good), but sometimes not so well and converts to rT3 instead (you don't want that). There is a synthetic version of T3, so your doctor can lower your T4 dose and supplement with T3. With properly balanced medication, it should have no impact at all on weight loss.

2. The second is a bit blunter, I'm afraid. Stop using hypothyroidism as an excuse to ditch a healthy way of eating. Personally, it hasn't affected my ability to lose weight at all (I've lost 41 lbs since October 1 - the day I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroidism (and diabetes)). Not everyone is the same, but hypothyroidism is more frequently used as an excuse for keeping the pounds on than it is an actual impediment to losing weight. Track every bite you eat. Weigh (or accurately measure) everything. Adjust your calories downward if you aren't losing. You can do this!
  • sl1der64
    sl1der64 Posts: 2 Member
    I also suffer from hypothyroidism and am feeling frustrated with this struggle to lose weight. Don't have any advise but would like you to know you are not alone. The small success I have had I can attribute to diligent tracking. Keep at it and try not to despair.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Keep up with your endocrinologist appointments, make sure you are on the right meds, call your dr when something in your symptoms changes, make sure to take the meds religiously as prescribed in the morning with an empty stomach.
    If your thyroid is properly controlled (which you need to be frequently monitoring), then it does not affect your weight.
  • becka1219
    becka1219 Posts: 11 Member
    I also have hypothyroidism. I have found that tracking my food and keeping to my calorie goal has been very helpful. I've lost a little over 30 pounds since Nov. 2015. I'm unable to exercise due to other health issues, so it has all been lost by tracking.

Also, as others have pointed out, make sure you're meds are adjusted to the right level.

Good luck!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Quit eating Bread, as the Bromide competes with Iodine and starves your Thyroid. Feed your Thyroid 1 ea Iodoral tablet daily to start (one week), and then every other day.
  • LadieTink
    LadieTink Posts: 91 Member
    Thank you guys so much for the advice. I will definitely look into adjusting my medication & trying harder to stay focused!
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    For sure check that your meds are right. I struggled for years trying to get the correct dosage for my body.

Since being on the correct meds i have lost 81 pounds in 13 months. It can be done.

And of course track EVERYTHING you put into your mouth..... even on the not so strict days.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I'm borderline at the moment but may have to go onto meds. It really is a case of slow and sure wins the race. More good days than bad, living a healthier lifestyle. I'm celebrating 4 years on MFP today and have lost 135.2lbs in that time :-)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    I get easily side tracked w/ all the things that I know I shouldn't be eating because the weight just don't come off like it should.

What are these things you shouldn't be eating? Make it fit into your daily or weekly calorie allowance. "Bank" some calories for the weekend or for a special occasion. You can do this AND you can eat the occasional treat.