When to buy new clothes when you are losing weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I swap clothes at official swap parties or with friends and relatives. As it's expected I shall loose some weight someday (lol!) I will go and look after smaller ones. My goal is one size down.
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My tubs of clothes that are sizes too small. I have shirts and jeans from sizes 4 to 8 (I packed on a lot of pounds over the last 2 years). Some stuff I am sure is out of style and need to be replaced, but it will do until I am satisfied with my weight loss and size. Luckily my job is a jeans and t-shirt type job that all that matters is that I am comfortable and able to move with my students.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think you should buy clothes that fit now! Whether you go to charity shops or Primark or splash out on pricey designer gear - depends on your budget. I also got given some clothes by a friend.

I felt like a tramp wearing baggy loose jeans, flapping about my legs! I bought a couple of new pairs of jeans in a department store, a dress size smaller, and some cheap teeshirts in a bargain shop, and feel wonderful.

It's taken me 7 months to lose 2 stone, it'll take me a couple more months to lose the next one, so I'll get decent wear out of those jeans and teeshirts in the meantime. But more importantly, I feel fantastic!

Why bother doing all this work if you can't enjoy the benefits as soon as they come! It's part of the celebration, wearing clothes you didn't think you'd wear. You worked for it, you earned it!
  • BrendaRey74
    BrendaRey74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    78lbs down, 78lbs to go! I've purchased the grand total of 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of yoga pants, and undergarments (and 4 pairs of sneakers!).

My bras still need major engineering and that isn't cheap but I haven't found any way around that. I just buy 4 in the new size and rotate 'til it's time to get a new set.

With clothes, I was the belting queen but finally got to the baggy sad sack stage which is so not a good look! I can sew a straight line (and not much more) so I've started to take in my pants. I just take in the waist of my skirts but they are all full not fitted anyway. Tops are next on my sewing experiment list (crosses fingers).

Honestly it is a good problem to have. I remember too well having to go out and get another bigger size again! Well and that's the other thing, since I've never thrown out anything, I've been working my way back through the smaller clothes that I outgrew on the way up. Now that I'm altering them on the way down, there really is no going back. :D
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    but it has been very nice to pull a few things from the rear of the closet and wear them again.
    As well as having my weight YoYo for the last few years due to thyroid, I'm also a hoarder, so I'm finding all my old clothes I used to fit into and wearing them again as I'm losing the lbs.

I still look at my suit I wore for my graduation and wonder if I'll get to fit into it again. I guess there's a goal for me to aim for! (that was 15 years and ~56lbs ago!)
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I finally caved and bought a bunch of new clothes, even though I'm only halfway to my goal. I've gone down 3 pant sizes though, so my clothes were literally hanging off of me. I feel skinnier today wearing stuff that actually fits, so it was totally worth it. I got a lot of stuff on sale, too, so it wasn't super expensive.

Shopping is so much more fun when you are in smaller sizes!
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I buy new ones when my husband and kids tell me I look like I'm wearing my grandmother's pants LOL...I usually look for good deals at Kohls, etc and buy a few pieces. It's inspiring to buy a smaller size and keeps me on track and positive. :grinning:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I buy clothing 5 pounds in advance.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I buy things at every size but I only had 4 dress sizes to lose and I got a lot of donations from friends I just got 4 key outfits in each size the rest was given to me
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    here we have clothes banks I would bag up clothes and sell or sell on ebay or something then use that money to buy some new ones