cooked and uncooked rice macros

Hi just wondering if I scan the Barcode on my rice and it says 70g of uncooked rice is 248cals does that mean when it is cooked I weigh out 70g to get 248cals?
I don't know why I can't seem to figure this out.
Thank you.

Replies

• ladyraiah
    ladyraiah Posts: 110 Member
    You'd weigh out 70g uncooked for the 248 cals. You can eat all of what that makes.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    ladyraiah wrote: »
    You'd weigh out 70g uncooked for the 248 cals. You can eat all of what that makes.

Thanks but I was meal prepping and did 3 portions so weighed out 210g then when I placed it in its containers I roughly got 135g of rice in each at about 470 calories
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Cooking adds extra water (so extra weight) but no extra calories.

If you used 210 g uncooked, that would be 744 calories for the whole batch no matter what the whole batch weighed when you were done.

Weight the whole batch when you are done cooking to get the new weight so that you can calculate the new calories per gram.
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    seska422 wrote: »
    Cooking adds extra water (so extra weight) but no extra calories.

If you used 210 g uncooked, that would be 744 calories for the whole batch no matter what the whole batch weighed when you were done.

Weight the whole batch when you are done cooking to get the new weight so that you can calculate the new calories

So I've only eaten the 258 cals ?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    How much did the whole cooked batch weigh? How much did your portion weigh?

If you used 3 servings of uncooked rice and then ate 1/3 of the cooked rice, you ate one serving's worth of calories no matter what the final cooked rice weighed.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    You have raw rice that is 248 Cals per 70g raw rice.
    You cook 210g of raw rice, which is 3 servings of 70g raw rice for a total amount of 744 Cals (3 x 248 Cals = 744 Cals) in some amount of water (0 Cals).
    You divide the total cooked rice plus water into 3 servings, which still has 744 Cals.
    You weigh each serving, and each one of the three cooked servings is about 135g (70g of raw rice plus some amount of absorbed water).
    You divide 744 Cals into 3 servings (744 Cals / 3 = 248 Cals).
    Each serving of this batch of cooked rice is 135g which has 248 Cals.

The next time you cook the same raw rice, it may absorb more or less water. So you need to weigh the total batch of cooked rice each time, then divide the total Cals into how many servings you want.