Is it possible

Options
I've put on 10lb in 3 weeks. I was having 1200 calories tiling hit my target then upped them by 400 to 1600 for maintenance. Now I've put on all this extra weight? ?? Is that right? Thought maintenance would just maybe put on a couple of lbs but not 10...Help

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    *til I *
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you've put on 10 pounds in a week really you'd have to have eaten an extra 35,000 cals, or 5,000 cals per day. Which you definitely would have noticed!

Have you change your diet drastically (other than cals), eating anything new or weird? Could your scales be broken?

Drink lots of water for a few days to de-fluid and then see what remains.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    You may have overshot your actual maintenance calories. You'll need to experiment to find your own calorie point.

What many do is ease from weight loss into maintenance by only adding 100 calories to the daily goal for a week or two and then add another 100 until they find their actual maintenance calorie point.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Also keep up any exercise you were doing and keep weighing and tracking - its all to easy to hit goal and relax leading to weight gain. x
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's common when entering maintenance to have a bump like that. Your body is refilling it's glycogen stores, which get depleted during weight loss. A lot of people compensate for this by slightly overshooting their goal weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    I've put on 10lb in 3 weeks. I was having 1200 calories tiling hit my target then upped them by 400 to 1600 for maintenance. Now I've put on all this extra weight? ?? Is that right? Thought maintenance would just maybe put on a couple of lbs but not 10...Help

When you are on a cut for an extended period then move into maintenance you can expect your glycogen stores to replenish and your water weight to swing upwards

Many plan for this by doing a slow increase of adding 100 calories for a week or so, allowing the scale to fluctuate and falling back again and then doing it again and again until the scale doesn't drop back down within 3- 4 weeks, then you go back to the previous number as that was maintenance

If your cut included a low carb that you are now not following then there will be a scale weight fluctuate that will stick ..that's the nature of glycogen depletion via low carb unfortunately

These swings in weight is one reason that people end up thinking dieting doesn't work ... do not lose focus - you know what to do

give it 6 weeks
    if it doesn't go back down, and you are unhappy at this weight then cut until your scale weight is back down .. then gradually increase

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I am going back to 1200 for a couple of weeks to see if I can drop some of the weight. Maybe I relaxed a bit too much!