The Detox Myth

Options
lukos05
lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am an RN in ICU/medical/surgical. I must say that I am so happy that the majority of people here are getting the word out about 'detoxing.' I have multiple friends who sell 'detox' (or alkalizing)products on the side and it is very frustrating trying to gently explain what it really means. Respect your kidneys, liver, and (don't forget) your LUNGS! So, kudos to those of you (without a medical background, especially) who do responsible research and critiquing; you give me hope for the future. That is all, lol.

Replies

• tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Where do I buy this Detox Myth? Will it help be lose belly fat? I'll pay, anything, if it has "detox" in title. Is it to do with kale?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Because I am a tad bit crazy from nursing school (I think I need to sell nursing school as a new diet. I'm often too stressed/busy that I completely lose my appetite)...
    • To my kidneys who have filtered out all excess waste products and modified absorption rates depending on what vitamins/minerals my body is falling short on, thank you. Thank you for also assisting the bicarbonate buffer system and helping to compensate for pulmonary alkalosis/acidosis so that I don't die by hyperventilating while panicking about school.
    • To my liver and its amazing first pass effect (though it's a pain-in-the-butt when a pt is crashing and the only way to bypass it is parenteral medication), thank you for making sure that I don't ingest a few poison berries and die right away.
    • To my lungs for compensating during metabolic alkalosis/acidosis by modifying my respiration rate, thank you. Thank you for also giving me the gift of garlic breath and scaring off the only 3 guys who are in the nursing program. :p

Sadly, when I think of detoxes now, I think of nothing but drug antagonists and charcoal.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Sadly, when I think of detoxes now, I think of nothing but drug antagonists and charcoal.

That must make for some interesting, stress-fueled dreams...

When I think of detoxes I think of my work colleague passing out at work because she ate nothing but cauliflower juice for three days (that would be the water the cauliflower was cooked in...)

It would be funny were she not still trying to convince me it's a good thing.

So I'll say: thank you mfp community for giving me facts and not fiction :smile:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump--this is a good thread.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump again.
  • lukos05
    lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Because I am a tad bit crazy from nursing school (I think I need to sell nursing school as a new diet. I'm often too stressed/busy that I completely lose my appetite)...

Welcome to the love/hate world of nursing! Nursing school is incredibly tough; 3/4 of my class took anti anxiety meds, so you are not alone.

If you are on Facebook, you should join the group 'Show Me Your Stethoscope,' (SMYS). Lots of students, new grads, and experienced medical professionals who can give you advice, assuage your fears, and make you feel more comfortable in the community. You sound like you have a good handle on these concepts, though!

:smiley: