Oh crap...

Options
yesimpson
yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Less than 2 weeks to go until my next half marathon and I've injured my leg. I think it's a minor quad strain, so I'm icing it and resting it for at least 72 hours, but I'm panicking this will might affect my race. Basically looking for advice or reassurance that I will heal in time!

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and pace yourself. You'll do ok.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My 1/2 is next saturday. I am slightly injured my self, I took off all last week from Sunday to Saturday (absolutely no running or lifting or cross training) and ran yesterday for the first time, and have to say today starts two weeks taper. I plan to run the max miles this week which is week 1 of 2 taper with an 8 miler planned on Sat or Sun.. My run after taking a break was awesome. The rest was really what I needed injury or not. Felt better than I have running in months.

If you recover from this in 72 hours and can get back to running at the mileage needed in the taper for this week to the actual race, you will not loose fitness at all. I am also assuming that you have made it to the 12 long run in your weeks up to this injury.

Easing back into the actual taper and getting miles on your legs this week I think will be important but not detrimental as long as your physical body (legs) and cardiovascular system can handle it as to say if you could run the race tomorrow as a healthy person are you ready for it?

[ETA] My race is to finish only. I rode the course yesterday, and know what demands there are in the course. I am not sure if you have the luxury to drive the course, walk any of the course, etc.. but this too also gave me some assurance that I can do it now that my mind is back in the game.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @gia07 gives good advice.
  • yesimpson
    Options
    Thanks @gia07 (I hope your race goes well) and @moyer566

I know I can do 13 miles, the route is a little hilly though. At this stage of the game I'm thinking rest and recovery is ten times more important than struggling through training and setting myself back further. Definitely not trying to fit any more gym work in (I hurt my leg halfway through a squat gone wrong) beforehand.

Just going to have to keep following RICE and take it easy for the next few days and see where I am! Just so annoying because I was hoping to make it round in under 2 hours.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    If you did the training thus far, you should be fine. take it easy, try and get a full recovery
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    if you've done the training, with just 2 weeks to go you should be close to entering your taper anyway. this will hardly affect you. let it heal, do not race on an injury or you will be out even longer.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Thanks @gia07 (I hope your race goes well) and @moyer566

I know I can do 13 miles, the route is a little hilly though. At this stage of the game I'm thinking rest and recovery is ten times more important than struggling through training and setting myself back further. Definitely not trying to fit any more gym work in (I hurt my leg halfway through a squat gone wrong) beforehand.

Just going to have to keep following RICE and take it easy for the next few days and see where I am! Just so annoying because I was hoping to make it round in under 2 hours.

RICE and tens device saved me. Yes you need total rest off the leg. You will be happy you stayed off it and if it really is an injury that will heal up after home therapy in 72 hours, you got this!

Come back and let us know if you did the race and how you did!!! Best of luck..! :):):):)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I strained my peroneal tendon about a week and a half before my half last weekend, and it wasn't the end of the world. At two weeks out you're not going to lose a ton of conditioning by resting (I didn't run a single step once it started to twinge at me, just walked on an incline on the treadmill when it felt good to do so and used the stationary bike pretty hard to get some aerobic conditioning in at least.)

It did affect my time a bit, I've been able to do training runs under two hours but ended up at 2:11 (either due to the ankle or the totally icy course, I'm not sure), but I finished and I think the 10 days or so of mostly rest did way more to help me through the run than trying to push through training would have. I had to take a few days of major rest afterwards because I could definitely feel it after the run was over, but today it feels fine and I ran 6.2 on it completely comfortably.

I'm sure racing on an injury wasn't a great idea and it's not something I intend to do regularly, but I tried to baby it before and after and it seems okay, so...no harm done this time, I guess.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    T At this stage of the game I'm thinking rest and recovery is ten times more important than struggling through training and setting myself back further.

You're correct, you've done the work and you should be tapering anyway. See how it feels in a few days and then keep the runs short and easy just to stay loose up to race day.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Ice slows circulation, which delays healing. It's for reducing excessive swelling (or bleeding).. but there's probably none of that after 24 hours. Warmth promotes healing of minor strains by maintaining good circulation, as does light, pain-free movement (slow cycling, etc). Reconsider using anti-inflammatories too, since inflammation is a normal response which triggers the healing process. :+1:
  • yesimpson
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@peleroja Glad to hear your race went well (I'd be really happy with 2:11 with an injury, did 2:13 for my last half so at least it'd be under that!). That has definitely encouraged me that I can make it through.

Thanks @BrianSharpe and @Cherimoose - I definitely intend not to push it, I'd hate to rest for a few days, think it was better and really stuff up the leg longer-term by doing something silly. I had heard ice was the best thing for the first 72 hours, but maybe not then? I'm allergic to most OTC anti inflammatories so will give them a wide berth.

It's only been 36 hours since I hurt my thigh, but the soreness has eased a bit since yesterday and it doesn't feel weak or unsteady, so I'm confident if I can exercise enough patience to rest properly (I'm such a fidget and was disappointed to have to miss my running club this evening) then it will be OK for the weekend after next. Just panicked for a bit there!
  • yesimpson
    Options
    Thanks everyone who offered me advice. I had a week off the leg, then a bit of swimming and a 'test' 8K, and finished the Bath Half today in 2hr 9min. Not as fast as I'd hoped, but I had no pain and actually a fairly comfortable run. Your wisdom was very much appreciated and it paid off!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    :+1::+1: