Help With The Next Step

Options
In June I started down a path to get my body to a healthier place - I started at 315lbs waist size 48/52 - I changed my eating to clean (proteins, vegetables, fruits, nothing processed) and lost 40 lbs - at that point I felt like I could start working out and started doing P90 and the 21 Day Fix - in total I have lost almost 85 lbs (down to 230 and waist 40). In January, I started a Couch to 5K plan and have been running the last 8 weeks 3 times a week. I plan to keep running 3 to 4 times a week - but would like to supplement with some resistance and some yoga for flexibility.

In the end I would like to get to 200 but I would like to start doing some lifting - but not to bulk up, to keep the fat loss going but with toning. I don't mind putting in 60 minutes a day...

Should I wait until I hit 200 before I start lifting? Could I start now with a lower weight plan? Should I possibly look at something like P90x3? I am open for suggestions for the next step...

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Strength training is always a good idea. There are immense benefits. I'm not familiar with p90x, but there are a lot of good beginner friendly programs on bodybuilding.com. A visit or two with a personal trainer would also be a great intro! Great progress!!
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    no reason to wait for strength training. check out a beginner program such as Starting Strength, SL5x5 and so forth. P90 is not really strength training as much as it is conditioning. Conditioning is great! but its not a huge muscle builder.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Start strength training now, its good for you. if you lift in the right rep range and you are still cutting calories you wont bulk up. If you do notice you are bulking a little and dont like it, you can adjust your lifting plan.